Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan Paris, in 2001 we had a similar tragedy on a much smaller scale. The Old Capitol cupola burned while there was scaffolding surrounding it. Turns out that the construction crew was using a torch on it. In 2017 the State of Iowa recovered about one-half of the cost of repair. Cost of repair was $1.3 million. Here is a photo from Wikipedia of the fire surrounded by scaffolding.

I hope you will open this Flickr page of a beautiful photo in a new tab which I have no permission to post here showing the Old Capitol after restoration of the cupola (and fire and water damage). You will see the U.S.A. and Iowa flag proudly snapping in the wind. Iowa's flag is a modified French flag with an eagle holding in its beak a banner displaying the state motto: "Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain." The Capitol against the heavens | Old Capitol Building, Iowa? | Flickr Your country can recover, and I see some folks are stepping up to the plate.

Attached Images

05-06-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
Good pictures mroeder and very unfortunate even indeed.

To come back to the Saymang here is the epilogue :

I ended up returning the Samyang 20. Corner sharpness was not good for astro, and even for standard landscapes border sharpness of my copy was not acceptable at f/5.6
Instead I got the D-FA 15-30 zoom. There are several downsides compared to the Samyang (bigger, heavier, more expensive, slower) but image quality at 20mm f/2.8 is much much better than the Samyang at the same f-number.
regards,
Dan
05-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
Hi,

I just received a new Samyang 20mm f/1.8. I planned to use it mostly for astro, also for landscapes and indoor shots with my K-1 Mark II.

I just did a series of test shot outdoor in order to evaluate sharpness at infinity. Of course, focus was done in Liveview at max. magnification. I am not sure of the quality of my copy.

Here is the result wide open. Exposure was not constant so the lower corners pictures are darker. Oddly f/1.7 is displayed (please look at full resolution):

not very nice, but maybe this is normal for a wide fast lens at this price point? At least, to my eyes there is no obvious decentering of the lens.

Corner and border sharpness does improve to some degree while closed down, but rather slowly. Here is a comparison between center and borders at f/5.6 (please look at full resolution):

For those using this lens on full-frame, do you get similar results ? I may return it but there aren't really alternatives...

thanks,

Dan
I bought that lens not long ago, and returned it. Just didn't care for it whatsoever.
05-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
Instead I got the D-FA 15-30 zoom. There are several downsides compared to the Samyang (bigger, heavier, more expensive, slower) but image quality at 20mm f/2.8 is much much better than the Samyang at the same f-number.
Yes, better IQ because it's bigger, heavier, more expensive, slower.

Glad you've achieved your UWA goal, Dan.