Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Another "help me decide" thread

Sorry, I know these kind of threads are everywhere, and everytime I see one let out a silent fart in it's honour... but now karma got the better of me

I have a R6500'ish budget and Im wanting to buy a fish eye with as much "fish eye" distortion as I can get, and as proper I.Q as I can afford.

Ive levelled down to these two options:

The pentax DA 10-17 fisheye:
Pentax DA Fish Eye 10 17mm F3

and the sigma 15mm 2.8 fish eye:
Sigma 15mm F2

Im not sure which will yield the best results, the most "bend" distortion vs IQ and lastly, im not sure what they mean by "diagonal" and "circular" fish eyes?
Edit: Ok, someone just explain circ vs diagonal to me, i DONT want the circular black vignette, so I want Diagonal fish eye.

Is the Pentax DA 10-17 diag?

Any input will be appreciated.
Regards
Marlon

Last edited by marlon; 10-05-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Oh ok
10-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

Sigma has announced two new fisheyes at photokina for pentax mount. If you are willing to wait, you'll have more options. (the newly announced circular fisheye has the most extreme distortion, check pictures of it in various photo sites).
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd take the Pentax Fish-eye zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Sorry, I know these kind of threads are everywhere, and everytime I see one let out a silent fart in it's honour... but now karma got the better of me

Is the Pentax DA 10-17 diag?

Any input will be appreciated.
Regards
Marlon
Yes, the 10-17 is a diagonal fish-eye and it is a great lens! It is convenient in that it can zoom in from 180 degrees to about 90 degrees coverage. I would go for this zoom over a fixed length fish-eye any day.

Here are some sample photos:

Motec Photo Gallery
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ooh. Thanks for the example images.
It does look good, with very little C.A
Just wierd how that lens hood it has on, does not interfere with the image, I mean, its 180 dregrees mmm