Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plastic epoxy advice

So on Saturday I failed to lock one of the legs on my tripod and my K-3 with the Sigma10-20 did a nosedive into a dirt parking area...

The lens hood seemed to absorb most of the impact, but the filter ring cracked. (The camera seems fine and the lens still focuses. No idea if I decentered it...)

Is there any plastic epoxy that could be used that won't affect the glass?

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-17-2019 at 04:19 AM.
04-16-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #2

I can't say if it will affect glass or not but I've had good results with JB Weld Plastic Bonder High Strength Structural Adhesive for repairing and building up many broken plastic items. Comes in black or light tan. Since it doesn't contain hydrofluoric acid I don't see why it would affect glass. Coatings is a different matter. I've not seen any sort of fogging or signs of outgassing on any of the materials I've used it on (including translucent plastics). Can be filed, sanded or drilled once cured (15 minutes but I always leave it for 24 hours).

You may be able to find it at auto parts stores, I've seen it at Pep Boys and similar chain stores in Southern California. You certainly find it on Amazon.
04-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you use a thin Deglassed filter to repair the ring. You could glue it in with a number of products.
04-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you use a thin Deglassed filter to repair the ring. You could glue it in with a number of products.
That is my first course of action. I ordered an 82mm to 82mm ring from China a few hours ago...

04-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

The JB Weld can be used to bond metal to plastic.
04-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #6
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Devcon "Plastic Welder" is the best product I've found for gluing plastics other than styrene and polyethylene. First recommended to me by a body shop mechanic in Davenport, Iowa while on a vacation trip, he said they rely on it heavily - I've been using it now for probably fifteen or twenty years. If you're gluing plastic to glass or metal, Devcon "Five Minute Epoxy" works really well, transparent but slightly yellowish when hardened, flows nicely for the first minute or so, but like the name said, you get five minutes of working time, the stuff is hard in fifteen, and rock-solid after about twelve hours. (I have no relationship with Devcon, by the way, merely an interested consumer of adhesives.)

I do not recommend JBWeld or PC7 for that kind of repair; those are very high tensile strength, high temperature epoxies that are thick and bulky and an ugly gray color, the sort of thing you'd use to mend a crack in a cylinder head.

Last edited by dlh; 04-18-2019 at 04:10 AM.