Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Focusing problems with my DA 200mm

Hello folks,
I am using this lens on my KP. I'm using back button focus, and am experiencing times when the lens doesn't focus. Most of the time, it works just fine, but there are times when it doesn't focus at all, no matter how hard I push the focus button. Today, I tried turning the camera off, then on again, and it started working again. It just doesn't seem to be reliable. I bought the lens from the Market Place, and it is in like new condition. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you very much.
Terry

04-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When that happens is the viewfinder showing f--?

In any case clean the contacts on the lens and the camera body.
04-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That era of lens does have a reputation for not having the most reliable AF motors (it was new tech at the time)

Having said that i had three lenses of that type of AF motor and none of them ever failed. My 16-50 did however require "waking up". So my advice is don't leave it sitting in your camera bag for months on end, and when you go to use it start by manually turning the focus ring to both extremes and make the camera AF work to focus to the other extreme. Then the AF should be fine.
04-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DA*300 is currently on the fritz with similar symptoms. I brought it to the local authorized repair center and they advised the motor needs replacement. I collected the lens so I could use it during my vacation but it'll go back to them for repair as soon as I get home. I'm missing lots of shots but still getting enough to justify bringing it. It's hard to nail manual focus...

04-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That era of lens does have a reputation for not having the most reliable AF motors (it was new tech at the time)

Having said that i had three lenses of that type of AF motor and none of them ever failed. My 16-50 did however require "waking up". So my advice is don't leave it sitting in your camera bag for months on end, and when you go to use it start by manually turning the focus ring to both extremes and make the camera AF work to focus to the other extreme. Then the AF should be fine.
Thank you, Peter. I'll do that. I hope that works. It's a beautiful lens, and I really like it.

---------- Post added 04-25-19 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
My DA*300 is currently on the fritz with similar symptoms. I brought it to the local authorized repair center and they advised the motor needs replacement. I collected the lens so I could use it during my vacation but it'll go back to them for repair as soon as I get home. I'm missing lots of shots but still getting enough to justify bringing it. It's hard to nail manual focus...
That's a shame. I had no idea that these two DA lenses had that issue.

---------- Post added 04-25-19 at 03:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
When that happens is the viewfinder showing f--?

In any case clean the contacts on the lens and the camera body.
I'll check that, tomorrow. I'll definitely clean the contacts. The camera is new, and the lens looks new, so I wouldn't have thought to clean the contacts. Thank you.

---------- Post added 04-25-19 at 03:51 PM ----------

Peter,
What problem does letting it sit in it's pouch and in my bag cause? Does this sound like my motor is going bad?
04-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
What problem does letting it sit in it's pouch and in my bag cause? Does this sound like my motor is going bad?
Just use it regularly
04-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just use it regularly
Ok, Peter. What a pain. It's not a focal length that I use often.
04-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA*55 does something similar

I have a DA55* that sometimes needs to be awakened when I first mount it. The AF doesnít work unless I remove it and remount it. Due to an over abundance of lenses that cover that short telephoto duty on my APSC cameras I do not use it regularly. I have grown quite fond of my DA*300 and take it out often so no problems so far.

04-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wake up the motor or it quits is purely based on speculation - there's no way to run an experiment and test it.

Also that DA* 200 can be converted to screw drive easily. There are tgreads about it (on mobile hard to search right now) also I offer a service where I convert the lens for those who would rather not mess with it.

I'm happy to advise with what I know should you want to convert it. Or I can convert it for you.
04-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The wake up the motor or it quits is purely based on speculation - there's no way to run an experiment and test it.

Also that DA* 200 can be converted to screw drive easily. There are tgreads about it (on mobile hard to search right now) also I offer a service where I convert the lens for those who would rather not mess with it.

I'm happy to advise with what I know should you want to convert it. Or I can convert it for you.
How much does that cost? Will you need just the lens, or the camera, too?

---------- Post added 04-26-19 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I have a DA55* that sometimes needs to be awakened when I first mount it. The AF doesnít work unless I remove it and remount it. Due to an over abundance of lenses that cover that short telephoto duty on my APSC cameras I do not use it regularly. I have grown quite fond of my DA*300 and take it out often so no problems so far.
What exactly do you mean by wake up? Thank you.
04-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much does that cost? Will you need just the lens, or the camera, too?

---------- Post added 04-26-19 at 06:48 AM ----------

What exactly do you mean by wake up? Thank you.
When I first mount it on the camera autofocus does not work. When I remove it and remount on the same or other body it starts working and keeps working. Iíve not taken the time to test other scenarios since I donít use it a lot and when I do Iím usually headed out the door for something. This weekend Iíll probably do a DA* day with both the 55 and 300.
04-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Peter.
I tried the method you suggested, and do it each time before using it, and it hasn't failed since. The focusing is fast and silent, just as it should be. For today at least, it has been 100% reliable. Thank you very much.

---------- Post added 04-26-19 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I followed Peter's advice, and it's working every time. If it completely gives out, I plan to contact you to fix. Thank you very much.
04-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried the method you suggested, and do it each time before using it, and it hasn't failed since
Yes, the lens just needs to know it is loved and playing a role in your life
04-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I followed Peter's advice, and it's working every time. If it completely gives out, I plan to contact you to fix. Thank you very much.
Excellent! Glad to hear it. My service is $30 plus you pay shipping both ways (and insurance etc.) or you can do it with an older body yourself. Only the lens is shipped to me and the conversion works from then on - on any Pentax body (so far, including the K-1). Here's a link to the marketplace thread:

SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com

I'm also happy to provide some assistance if you try to convert it yourself. This is a labor of love - I'm not in it to make money. I think these lenses are just amazing and hate to think any are lying around that could be saved.