Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH sent the wrong lens!

So here's my predicament:

I paid $49 plus shipping at KEH for a SMC Takumar 28/3.5, but when the package arrived today...a Super Takumar was inside instead.

Here is my first question: Based on your experience at KEH, did I totally get ripped off or was this simply an honest mistake?

And here is my second: Is the SMC version that noticeably superior (and more valuable) that it is worth making a stink about? If so, what is your experience with their customer service?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

02-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

SMC was probably a generation or two after Super. Hehe it would be funny if it had a radioactive element. haha jkjk.
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #3

Call Keh

They are reputable and should rectify this. The SMC is not that much better than a Super, but you paid for the SMC, and they made a mistake which most likely was purely accidental. I've bought a bunch of M42s from them and they were always better than described except one which they fixed immediately.
02-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Finn, I echo normant. I've dealt with KEH quite a few different times and have found them to be scrupulously honest. I'm certain they will act quickly to rectify the mistake. BTW, the one thing KEH is NOT good at is answering e-mails, it is much better to call them.

NaCl(the only problem I ever had with them was solved quickly)H2O

02-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well I found some bit of information on the Super Takumar 28/3.5

From what I'm getting, later versions have small differences in coating, namely the SMC. Still this lens should be pretty good. Take some sample photos and if you really have a problem with it, let KEH.com know.
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
So here's my predicament:

I paid $49 plus shipping at KEH for a SMC Takumar 28/3.5, but when the package arrived today...a Super Takumar was inside instead.

Here is my first question: Based on your experience at KEH, did I totally get ripped off or was this simply an honest mistake?

And here is my second: Is the SMC version that noticeably superior (and more valuable) that it is worth making a stink about? If so, what is your experience with their customer service?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Honest mistake. I have bought a lot from them and I am very satisfied. They only once sent the wrong lens. I called them and they refunded the lens and shipping costs.

SMC ... is multi-coated, the Super Takumar probably only has a single coating. A Super-Multi-Coated Takumar would have the same coating as the smc Takumar.

When I say "probably": Pentax is roumored to have introduced multi coating on some of their latest Super Takumars without telling anybody, so - who knows about your lens!

Super-Multi-Coating controls flare better than single coating. Perhaps you could try your lens in tricky back light situations, check the results and then decide if you want to keep it or let it go.
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with the others. KEH is a reputable company and will do right by you. As mentioned, phone them instead of e-mail. Don't they have a 14-day, 'no questions asked' return policy?

Good company! They are my first choice for older lenses and the first place I look when seeking something specific.

02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick, informative replies. I'll give them a call tomorrow, although it will be sad to see the little beauty go back into the box...I was checking the UPS tracking at least 10 times a day!
02-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well chances are that it ain't that bad. The optical formula's probably still the same. Its just that SMC a newer multi coat. Sure you don't want the Super Takumar?
02-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm...maybe I'll just take a few back-lit shots and see if it's really all that bad. It has been a long wait, after all!
03-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Of all the M42s I owned at one time, that is one of 2 that I kept. It is a sharp, contrasty, very nice overall lens.

As to KEH, as the others have said, an honest mistake. You don't need to make a stink. Just explain what happened, and they will rectify the situation for you.
03-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd send it back. If I didn't, everytime I got flare with that lens, I'd be wondering if "the lens I was supposed to get" would have had the problem. Better off a bit longer wait, than to have this in the back of my mind for years to come.
03-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well test it out first. Wide angles are prone to flare anyways. It would be a bad thing to send it back, then get the SMC version with little or no improvement in flare control.

Haha I did a search for the Super Takumar 28 and guess what showed up?

Carpents' pbase gallery! haha. Maybe you two can arrange some sort of comparision to gauge the difference in the Super-Multi-Coated and Super coatings.