Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As I sai before, I own the Kiron and love it. I don't use it for macro all that much, though maybe I should do that more often

To me, the choice would be between the constant f3,5 of the Kiron vs the A setting of the Komine. I THINK the Konime would win, but I would have to try it to be sure... I really love the colours of the Kiron. If the Komine compared well in regards to saturation and contrast, the choice wuold be easier. I think all three versions are sharp enough, so that even though some might be sharper, it's not really an issue. the tokina version sits between 1 and 3 for me, no eral interest there except weigth.

10-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I have the Kiron version 1 lens, which I love, ok it's heavy, but the colours are amazing.

Here is Terrorvision who I shot in the summer at an outdoor festival, at f/5.6 makes it an easy lens to focus & is sharp as a button

Terrorvision
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyO Quote
hinman,

I just wanted to say thank you for posting all of your photos and observations about these Vivitar Series 1 lenses. I have been shopping for one of these myself (in fact I've purchased one, the Kiron, from a forum member and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival), and all of the information you provided has been tremendously helpful. Your fine work is much appreciated (as are the other members' contributions, too).
Thank you for the kind comments. I find the Kiron the best in color and contrast. Sharpness is very close among the three versions. Actually I have not mentioned about bokeh, though I have not tested it exclusively, I will give the bokeh to both the Kiron and Komine version. The Tokina don't do well in bokeh as I find ghosting in close up on flowers with funny thing like overlapping edges on flowers.

On the contrary, the Kiron and Komine are both quite capable for close up with 1:2.2 and 1:2.5 ratio. The Kiron may be a bit heavy and bulky to handle for close up. The barrel in the Kiron is noticeable bigger and it take time to get used to. I remember a tiring neck after a photo shoot on tree branches with the Kiron pointing upwards. The Kiron has amazing detail for a zoom of its age.

Thanks,
Hin
10-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
I have the Kiron version 1 lens, which I love, ok it's heavy, but the colours are amazing.

Here is Terrorvision who I shot in the summer at an outdoor festival, at f/5.6 makes it an easy lens to focus & is sharp as a button

Terrorvision
You have beautiful sample pictures what the Vivitar Series 1 can do for indoor. Great samples that can lead me to pay attention to cheaper copies of the Kiron version.

10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
As I sai before, I own the Kiron and love it. I don't use it for macro all that much, though maybe I should do that more often

To me, the choice would be between the constant f3,5 of the Kiron vs the A setting of the Komine. I THINK the Konime would win, but I would have to try it to be sure... I really love the colours of the Kiron. If the Komine compared well in regards to saturation and contrast, the choice wuold be easier. I think all three versions are sharp enough, so that even though some might be sharper, it's not really an issue. the tokina version sits between 1 and 3 for me, no eral interest there except weigth.
You should give the close up a try, I sold my Kiron copy and I missed trying the Kiron lens for the wonderful close up in 1:2.2, the best among the three. The design of the special macro knob is very unique and I find it confusing. I can't believe that I don't have any test photos on the close up before I manage to sell it to a previous owner of Kiron copy who missed his copy. I sold mine to him for the sixty's. I wish I could have it back. I am now trained with heavier weight on lens.

In terms of color and contrast, I have subjectively picked the Kiron, though the Komine copy will come very close in color and contrast. The Kiron and Komine copy are better in color, contrast and saturation over the Tokina copy.

But there are two things that I like the Tokina better than the others, that is on the lighter weight as well as a better focusing ring. While I find the ring smooth on the Komine and I vaguely remember similar character in the Kiron copy that I owned last year, I prefer the stiffer focusing ring in the Tokina in not moving the zoom position while focusing. In my recollection, the best lens barrel for focusing is in the Tokina lens.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-22-2008 at 10:28 AM.
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Close up test shots from Komine (v3)

I have a chance to step out in taking some close up test shots. I think I can recommend any of the three versions. Out of the three, the Komine copy does very satisfactory for me in the close up with 1:2.5. Sharpness is very close among the three versions. Contrast, color and saturation is best in the Kiron version and the Komine versions. Close up don't do well for me in Tokina version.

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 from Komine (v3)

1/40 sec, f/5.6, 200mm, iso 100, 0 Ev
it is off focus as I used MF to guess the focal point

1/250 sec, f/8.0, 200mm, iso 400, -1/3 Ev

1/250 sec, f/7.1, 200mm, iso 400, -1/3 Ev

1/200 sec, f/7.1, 200mm, iso 400, -2/3 Ev
unfortunate off-focus in MF

1/800 sec, f/2.8, 200mm, iso 100, 0 Ev
effectively f/4.0 wide open in long end 210mm

1/200 sec, f/5.6, 200mm, iso 100, 0 Ev

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-07-2008 at 10:13 PM.
10-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you are looking for an inexpensive investment in filling in the gap for 70-210mm with reasonable speed in f/3.5 and better in f/2.8, I think I can recommend either of the three versions with noted caveats below.

Here are my subjective opinions on the three versions:

v1 from Kiron:
  • Viviitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5, from Kiron (v1)
  • serial number starts with 22
  • best in color and contrast
  • heaviest unfortunately, it is actually not much heavier than Komine copy, but it is bulkier especially on the lens barrel
  • best build quality in construction
  • very inexpensive to get, I see as low as $50ish
  • sharpness squares evenly with the Komine copy. But I do prefer the Tokina on sharpness when stopped down
  • good in bokeh, this can be subjective and I found the Komine copy best in bokeh but the Kiron copy is very close. Kiron is better than Tokina in terms of bokeh
  • hardest to use due to big lens barrel
  • close up is at 1:2.2 and I think the weight and the bigger size in barrel may hinder the usefulness in close up. I can't say for sure if close up is good. Given the reputation on Kiron 105mm f/2.8, I would imagine the close up quality to be as good as the Komine copy and the ratio is 1:2.2 instead of Komine copy with 1:2.5.

v2 from Tokina:
  • Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5, from Tokina (v2)
  • serial number starts with 37
  • best in sharpness when stopped down to f/5.6
  • lightest of the three and much usable in walk around
  • does quite poorly in close up with magnification at 1:4, I see ghosting in close up
  • color and contrast are reasonable, but I like the Kiron and Komine copies better
  • best in focusing ring, maybe my copy with Tokina is newer than the other, the focusing ring in my tokina copy is the best among the three versions that I have tried.
  • very inexpensive to get, maybe a bit more than the Kiron version
  • the easiest to handle as a walk around due to its lighter weight and better focusing ring

v3 from Komine:
  • Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0, from Komine (v3)
  • serial number starts with 28
  • the only version among the three that has 'A' settings
  • weight is middle tier in 860g in between 710g Tokina and the 879g Kiron
  • perhaps the barrel is not as big, I feel similar handling to the Tokina
  • the komine copy is easy to handle like the Tokina though a bit heavier
  • close up is found pretty decent at 1:2.5
  • I still prefer the color and contrast from Kiron but I will give the Komine slightly better than Tokina
  • best in bokeh along with Kiron copy after the komine, definitely better than the Tokina and close to Kiron
  • sharpness is very close to the other two versions but I prefer Tokina as the sharper one
  • best overall due to the 'A' setting, faster speed in f/2.8 in the shorter end.
  • some moderate PF is noted
  • cost more than twice of v1 and v2, recent sale goes about $160 to $180 in both ebay and Marketplace.

The reason why I pick this Vivitar Series 1 zoom is to use it as an inexpensive interim to fill the gap after Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 zoom. Ideally, I can go for the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 but I don't have the money. And another choice is the DA* 50-135 and it is just as expensive. Hence the Vivitar Series 1 zoom can easily fill in the role without breaking my budget. If you like MF and the challenge, the vivitar zoom is a nice addition.

Last edited by hinman; 11-07-2008 at 10:37 PM.
10-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I test this lens further and I find myself attached to the lens, I may have a hard time letting go. All test shots are done quickly at 7:00pm after sunset. All are using Av mode in f/2.8 to have it wide open for all shots. No tripod, I like to push my my hand-holding limits whenever I get a chance. The lens does quite well wide open in f/2.8, iso 400 with mostly -1/3 Ev adjustment, and no flash.

A very tall statue and I am at least 50 to 150 feet away

1/25 sec

1/8 sec

1/8 sec

1/3 sec
blur from skaky hand

perspective of the tall statue and a nearby building

Last edited by hinman; 10-25-2008 at 10:17 PM.
10-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tested the Komine Series 1 zoom along with Pentax F-1.7x AF TC in the zoo. The magical TC turns the Series 1 zoom into partial AF zoom from 119mm to 357mm powerhouse. Sharpness goes down a bit but overall still very good and the AF comes in handy in the zoo with animals

Komine Series 1 zoom
With Pentax F-1.7x AF TC

A bit soft due to cage in between
would have been better if I stop down more

Cotton Top Tamarin
very small and agile monkey

A bit soft in f/5.6
I should have stopped down more with TC

Light PF in the eyes for the Tamarin

skill lacking in panning

I tried to test the lens in f/5.6 and I think the lens would have done better had I stopped down to f/8.0 or smaller, but the animals have movement and I tried the f/5.6 and ISO 400 in 350mm focal length to compensate the movement.

I am likely to withdraw the lens from sale in Marketplace.

Hin
11-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A bump for this thread so that another member know what I refer to. I was discussing in PM with emif that I was using Av mode with my Tokina version of the Series 1 zoom and I thought the manual lens will behave magically like the 'A' in Av mode. I stand corrected that many of my test pictures in the thread with Tokina (v2) are actually shot in wide open apertures in f/3.5. It is embarrassing as I get myself confused in Av mode for everything.

Last edited by hinman; 11-07-2008 at 10:09 PM.
11-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #41
Site Supporter

My Ricoh "P" 70-210 f3.9 does a great job also..which is probably the same glass.

11-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have taken some sunset pictures with the Tokina Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 and this time I use green button to do the proper stop-down metering for most shots in f/5.6 with some in f/3.5 when the Sun is down.

11-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
My Ricoh "P" 70-210 f3.9 does a great job also..which is probably the same glass.

That is a great shot when I zoom in to see the detail. Do you happen to have your lens picture so that I can tell how close your Ricoh P lens resembles to any of the Vivitar Series 1 that I have seen. Based on the aperture of f/3.5 and f/2.8-4.0 that I have seen, I would argue that your lens is different than the Vivitar Series 1. Anyhow, that is a good lens that I will keep on the watch list, does it name as Rikenon lens?

Thanks,
Hin
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Personally after looking at all 3 Vivitar series 1 70-210mm lenses I bought a Tamron SP adaptall 2 70-210mm f3.5 It very rarely leaves my camera unless I badly need an auto focus lens on there.
Thank you for the recommendation, I recently got a Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 (19AH) in adaptall2 mount. The lens does perform very well, likely exceeding in several areas over all the Vivitar Series 1 in performance. But I do find the close up in 1:2.6 not as good as the Vivitar as in version1 from Kiron or the version3 from Komine.

Last edited by hinman; 03-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.
03-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like a rock

seeing this thread made me take out my version 1 today, on my *istD with the 1.7x AF TC

it does make a good walk around tele zoom
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo