Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally after looking at all 3 Vivitar series 1 70-210mm lenses I bought a Tamron SP adaptall 2 70-210mm f3.5 It very rarely leaves my camera unless I badly need an auto focus lens on there.

10-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Personally after looking at all 3 Vivitar series 1 70-210mm lenses I bought a Tamron SP adaptall 2 70-210mm f3.5 It very rarely leaves my camera unless I badly need an auto focus lens on there.
Mike, you always have great pictures. I still remember your picture with Tamron 90mm with the Vivitar 2x Macro converter. Can I ask how much the Tamron Adaptall lens? The pictures look fantastic to me.

I would imagine your Tamron adaptall lens to be more expensive as the PK-A version of the adapter alone can easily cost $90 a piece. And if the lens cost clser to $200 and that will really cut to the cost factor in owing a used lens. The Tokina v2 can easily be bought under $100, I last list it for $65.0 in the forum with no interest. I would think $90 is a fair value for that lens.
10-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This Tamron at the moment I am using cost me approx $120 delivered to Spain and the only reason it cost that much was because it was brand new in the box with all the accessories so to me was worth it. I bought a spare a few days ago for $50 which was not new but still works fine.
The adapter does actually cost more than the lens if you buy the PK/A version but I recently got one for $30 with a lens attached.

You will see from the link I provided the Tamron outperforms all 3 Vivitars and in my mind is my very best lens for not much outlay. I think they go for so less because nobody seems to try manual focus lenses anymore whereas I am quite happy to use one.
10-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
My Kiron version seems to be GREAT for "aviation action" shots....

Dear Hinman:

The PIPE Here...on my visit the weekend after Labor Day to a VERY famous aviation museum in the Lower Hudson River valley, during its RC scale model aircraft event (I'm an RC flier myself), I FINALLY was able to give my own Kiron-made ORIGINAL Vivitar S1 70-210mm zoom a trial, on my K100D, doing "aviation action" with some "sizable" RC Giant Scale models, and the results have already been posted up in my thread on the event here at...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37893-1st-serious-trial-...0mm-k100d.html ....

...it SEEMS to be a nice lens for capturing the action of flying aircraft, whether they be RC or full scale, and until I CAN get back to work (laid off on September 19th from the "current financial crisis") and get the money to hopefully get myself a Sigma DG-series 135-400 zoom telephoto lens, that all-manual Vivitar S1 zoom SEEMS to be the best lens in my own bag, that's worked well at its rated focal lengths on my K1000SE "film burner", and now at roughly at a 110-315mm equivalent on the K100D.

Hope you get a chance to get a look at them...they SHOULD be going up at a VERY nice aviation photo & video website located at ClipWings.com - The Aviation Community before too long...my Canon-shooting German buddy, the webmaster at Biplanes.de - Die Oldtimer Community in Deutschland, is BEGGING me to get my shots up there at "ClipWings"...!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE !

10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
This Tamron at the moment I am using cost me approx $120 delivered to Spain and the only reason it cost that much was because it was brand new in the box with all the accessories so to me was worth it. I bought a spare a few days ago for $50 which was not new but still works fine.
The adapter does actually cost more than the lens if you buy the PK/A version but I recently got one for $30 with a lens attached.

You will see from the link I provided the Tamron outperforms all 3 Vivitars and in my mind is my very best lens for not much outlay. I think they go for so less because nobody seems to try manual focus lenses anymore whereas I am quite happy to use one.
I will be studying your suggestion seriously. Your photos are very impressive and you have a great deal on your adaptall lens deal. I don't think I have seen anything that low in $120 and even $50. What a deal! I may go and get a K version of the adapter for $30 to try out a good adaptall lens as those Nikon folks are very keen on Adaptall lens.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Hin
10-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The PIPE Quote
Dear Hinman:

The PIPE Here...on my visit the weekend after Labor Day to a VERY famous aviation museum in the Lower Hudson River valley, during its RC scale model aircraft event (I'm an RC flier myself), I FINALLY was able to give my own Kiron-made ORIGINAL Vivitar S1 70-210mm zoom a trial, on my K100D, doing "aviation action" with some "sizable" RC Giant Scale models, and the results have already been posted up in my thread on the event here at...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37893-1st-serious-trial-...0mm-k100d.html ....

...it SEEMS to be a nice lens for capturing the action of flying aircraft, whether they be RC or full scale, and until I CAN get back to work (laid off on September 19th from the "current financial crisis") and get the money to hopefully get myself a Sigma DG-series 135-400 zoom telephoto lens, that all-manual Vivitar S1 zoom SEEMS to be the best lens in my own bag, that's worked well at its rated focal lengths on my K1000SE "film burner", and now at roughly at a 110-315mm equivalent on the K100D.

Hope you get a chance to get a look at them...they SHOULD be going up at a VERY nice aviation photo & video website located at ClipWings.com - The Aviation Community before too long...my Canon-shooting German buddy, the webmaster at Biplanes.de - Die Oldtimer Community in Deutschland, is BEGGING me to get my shots up there at "ClipWings"...!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE !
Hi Pipe,

You have impressive photos with your Series 1 zoom. I am guessing that you have the version 1 from Kiron with a serial number for 22. I found the Kiron better in terms of color, contrast and bokeh. The bokeh is excellent in the Kiron copy compared to version 2 from Tokina, but I find the Tokina a bit sharper when stopped down to f/5.6. I am yet to try out the v3 from Komine.

Don't you find the weight with 879g on the Kiron a bit bothersome to use as a walk- around. I have to retrain myself to like the gear. I prefer the lighter version in Tokina with 870g, it is more comfortable when I try it as compared to Kiron version 1.
10-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Yes, I can concur with the sharpness wide open at f/3.5.

. . .

Another noted problem with the Tokina is on the possible ghosting that I find on macro shots. Edges of flower images seems to have double layer. I don't quite know if a lens hood will help.
More confirmation that this weird beast I own is actually a Vivitar S1/V2 under a different label.

I too find the lens is quite soft wide open (not that this is a unique characteristic, by any means) and sometimes end up with ghosted macros -- "dreamy" looking. I just pulled out the lens and took some pictures with it a couple of days ago, and I recall some exhibited this "feature." I'll take a look and post some.

10-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
More confirmation that this weird beast I own is actually a Vivitar S1/V2 under a different label.

I too find the lens is quite soft wide open (not that this is a unique characteristic, by any means) and sometimes end up with ghosted macros -- "dreamy" looking. I just pulled out the lens and took some pictures with it a couple of days ago, and I recall some exhibited this "feature." I'll take a look and post some.
The Tokina version 2 for the Series 1 zoom is not best for Macro as compared to its tele shots in portraits, candids and street shooting.

I also find ghosting of images in the close up shots that are bothering me. Image edges are overlapping with ghosting effect. I do not know yet if a matching lens hood in 62mm size will minimize the effect. You lens sure looks a lot like my Tokina Series 1 zoom.
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #24

My first real outing with my v1

I've had my v1 lens for a while, but haven't had a chance to really take it anywhere until 2 weeks ago when I went to the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. It is a little heavy to carry around for two days, especially if you you are doing a lot of high speed panning.

But other than that I was very impressed. I've never shot a race before, but it was pretty cool. Here are a couple of examples with both full image and 100% crop. I really didn't have to do any sharpening on these shots.

This one is taken at about 40-50 feet away.

And the detail:

Another one taken at about 70 feet - just a little below infinity.

All in all I have to say I am pretty satisfied with the results.

And the detail:

I have to admit that I have been considering getting the Tamron SP 70-210 F/3.5 because I have the PK/A adapter and it would be nice not to have to do the stop down. Whenever I am in a hurry I tend to fumble trying to find the button.
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
I've had my v1 lens for a while, but haven't had a chance to really take it anywhere until 2 weeks ago when I went to the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. It is a little heavy to carry around for two days, especially if you you are doing a lot of high speed panning.

But other than that I was very impressed. I've never shot a race before, but it was pretty cool. Here are a couple of examples with both full image and 100% crop. I really didn't have to do any sharpening on these shots.

This one is taken at about 40-50 feet away.

I have to admit that I have been considering getting the Tamron SP 70-210 F/3.5 because I have the PK/A adapter and it would be nice not to have to do the stop down. Whenever I am in a hurry I tend to fumble trying to find the button.
Those racing car shots are wonderful to look at. Very sharp down to the detail. I am very impressed and your #2 shot is amazing, it looks darn close to a poster in my opinion. Do you manage to shoot the race car with just hand-holding. You have made me rethink about the Kiron version of the series 1. Have you tried the 1:2.2 macro on the Kiron version. With that weight in 879g, the close up may be much harder to do in hand-holding. Do you use any tripod/mono-pod with your Series 1 zoom, please advice? And do you shoot this with battery grip or not, is that shot from K10D or K20D? I am curious on the overall weight?

And how much would a Tamron 70-210 f/3.5 without the adapter should be a fair price, would a $100 be a fair price. I see the Kiron as low as $20 to as high as $100. I sold mine a year earlier for $65.00 to an previous owner of the series 1 from Kiron and he loves it while I couldn't stand the weight in my 2 outings with the lens -- I have to retrain myself with a heavier zoom.
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking back at these photos makes me wonder about doing more with my Series 1, V1. It has pretty much sat on the shelf since I treated myself to a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 5 years ago.

Every one complains about the weight of the V1 lens. Ever try the Sigma???. you would gladly have the version 1 lens after that monster.
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote

Here's a century plant leaf at f/3.5, followed by a 100% crop -- note the ghosted appearance of fine details:

And then stopped down, the ghosting is gone:

Stopped down, the lens does a fine job overall:

10-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Those racing car shots are wonderful to look at. Very sharp down to the detail. I am very impressed and your #2 shot is amazing, it looks darn close to a poster in my opinion.
Thanks - who knows, they might make one of my shots into a poster I was invited by Bell Micro (they sponsor car 71 and 73 in the GT2 class) and sent some of my shots to them. The first one I'll probably end up processing again since the color seems off a bit. I have a bunch more that are just as sharp, and hopefully I'll have time to process them this week.

QuoteQuote:
Do you manage to shoot the race car with just hand-holding.
Yes, I carried the lens around for 2 days. I have to admit that by the end of the second day I was glad when the sun started going away It was also a bit of a learning curve to get a feel for the manual focus of the lens. There were definitely more keepers the last day.

QuoteQuote:
You have made me rethink about the Kiron version of the series 1. Have you tried the 1:2.2 macro on the Kiron version. With that weight in 879g, the close up may be much harder to do in hand-holding. Do you use any tripod/mono-pod with your Series 1 zoom, please advice?
I haven't really tried the macro in any serious way. I agree that it might be a little hard handheld if you are close to the subject and wide open. I have a cheapo tripod, but haven't tried to use it with this lens yet - it seems just manageable enough to do handheld.

QuoteQuote:
And do you shoot this with battery grip or not, is that shot from K10D or K20D? I am curious on the overall weight?
No grip, and they were taken with my *istD. Four eneloops help up just fine for about 7-800 photos over 3 days (including a lot of chimping ) I guess the results are really not bad for 6.1MP and no shake reduction (not that the SR would help with the panning anyway). The camera weighs 650g incl. batteries, so total weight with the v1 lens would be 1,529g.

QuoteQuote:
And how much would a 70-210 f/3.5 without the adapter should be a fair price, would a $100 be a fair price. I see the Kiron as low as $20 to as high as $100. I sold mine a year earlier for $65.00 to an previous owner of the series 1 from Kiron and he loves it while I couldn't stand the weight in my 2 outings with the lens -- I have to retrain myself with a heavier zoom.
I've been looking around for the Tamron, but haven't seen any recently. I already have the PK/A adapter, so hopefully the lens won't be too much. If the image quality is comparable to the Vivitar I might just switch so I can gain the auto aperture.
10-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Komine Series 1 zoom arrived

I just got it from UPS today. The komine copy of the vivitar zoom looks so much like the Tokina copy. In appearance, v2 from Tokina and v3 from Komine almost look identical, but there is the red line in lens' front distinguishing it from v1 and v2.

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0, from Komine (v1)

minimum focusing distance is 0.8m

I will have a difficult time to decide which one to keep. The Komine copy has the best advantage with 'A' settings and the f/2.8 in the 70mm and it has macro at 1:2.5 magnification ratio.

Some casual test shots

product shot on my FA 50 f/1.4

The komine v3 copy does much better in close up as I see a lot of ghosting in the try out of 1:4 close up shots with the Tokina, something noticed by QuickSand also. I should look for a lens hood for the Series 1 as I do have run into glare in the late afternoon washing out some color in the shots.

Last edited by hinman; 10-24-2008 at 05:22 PM.
10-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #30
Inactive Account

hinman,

I just wanted to say thank you for posting all of your photos and observations about these Vivitar Series 1 lenses. I have been shopping for one of these myself (in fact I've purchased one, the Kiron, from a forum member and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival), and all of the information you provided has been tremendously helpful. Your fine work is much appreciated (as are the other members' contributions, too).