Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD DA 20-40 Samples on K-1 Pullleeezz

I had a chance to put the 20-40 on my K-1 and really regret not taking some sample shots now. I am aware that it seems to be ok at certain focal lengths. I'm looking for any 20-40 K-1 owner to point me to some shots taken with their K-1, and if possible even link me some RAW files

I absolutely love what I see with the HD DA 20-40 on crop, and I have a KP, so I'm half way there, but if I can actually shoot f2.8 at around 24mm with decent centre sharpness on the K-1 then I think I'm sold tbh.

Thanks peeps!

Bruce

05-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go:

PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
05-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Thanks for that, indeed interesting to see a few 24mm shots looking pretty decent in FF mode.
05-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I'm kinda surprised there's not much threads about this lens. No lens club purely for this lens (whereas heaps of other prime ltds get dedicated threads). 'DA Zoom' club is too large and generic, very hard to find sample shots of the HD DA 20-40. The flickr group has only ONE shot in hundreds of the 20-40 taking a night city shot (to evaluate star bursts), and the in depth review really gives the sharpness of this lens a hammering yet I do see exceptional sharpness from this lens in other shots on flickr etc.

Honestly I don't know what to believe...

I would really like some more feedback especially concerning it's power on FF. I have a KP and K-1 and feel it would extend it's use on FF, but not if somehow it loses even more sharpness and IQ at the focal lengths it seems to perform ok at. I don't mind vignetting, I can correct a lot of that in post, but I can't make up for lack of sharpness too much (boosting micro contrast really etc).

I just don't know what to make of this lens, did it not do well? It seems on paper to tick a lot of boxes, WR, compact, metal strong construction, DC AF, Quick Shift etc. Some of these reasons is why I sold the HD DA 21 and 15 (because they were not WR etc).

Where's the love for this lens?

05-03-2019, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The HD 20-40mm is just great - I love it

DA Limited Zoom Club - PentaxForums.com

Above is the link to the lens club currently running to 43 pages.

This lens is the biggest dilemma for me since buying the K-1 because I don't want to sell it. I did run some quick tests on the K-1 but it's only really useable between 24-35 - still a great range on full frame though.

If I get some quality time I'll get some proper shots in with the combo over the weekend.
05-03-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Unfortunately, I don't own a K-1, so I can't comment on the lens' performance on a full frame camera.

However, I just acquired the DA 20-40 after doing an extensive review of online comments, images, and reviews across a number of sites. I found that the comments from users were overwhelmingly positive, and many of the images I looked at were terrific. There's lots of love out there for this lens, for sure.

I haven't used the lens extensively yet on my K-3 II. My initial tests show that my copy is not de-centered and corner sharpness is good. My first images of the neighbourhood fire hydrants, road signs, mailboxes, parks, houses and such are showing that the lens does indeed live up to its positive rep, and I like the images more than similar ones I had taken with my DA 18-135.

With a bit of searching, I think you'll find plenty of glowing reports here on PF (and also at DPReview Pentax SLR Talk). The lens is not loved universally, but I don't think any lens is. The thread that @W412ren provides is particularly useful to see a range of great pictures from the lens.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-03-2019 at 03:07 PM.
05-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
The HD 20-40mm is just great - I love it

DA Limited Zoom Club - PentaxForums.com

Above is the link to the lens club currently running to 43 pages.

This lens is the biggest dilemma for me since buying the K-1 because I don't want to sell it. I did run some quick tests on the K-1 but it's only really useable between 24-35 - still a great range on full frame though.

If I get some quality time I'll get some proper shots in with the combo over the weekend.
Yeah I just don't have the time to go trolling through 43 pages on ADSL2+ for images taken with that and only that lens. That's part of the issue, I really hoped it would have it's own page. Oh well... looks like I'll have to tho.

I have a KP as well as K-1, on the KP the 20-40 corresponds more like 30-60, so to get an additional 24-28mm with it sitting on the K-1 (as well as 30-34mm in higher resolution) is attractive to me.

I'm kinda bummed out though that they feel it only gets a 'B' rating for coverage and never 'A', furthermore close distances are apparently not possible (but I'm unsure what that really means... how close is too close etc)?

Between the two systems I would have thought I'd have a nice WR solution to some landscape stuff, walk around and even some portrait uses as well (not every portrait shot needs to be done at 85/1.4 etc)

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Unfortunately, I don't own a K-1, so I can't comment on the lens' performance on a full frame camera.

However, I just acquired the DA 20-40 after doing an extensive review of online comments, images, and reviews across a number of sites. I found that the comments from users were overwhelmingly positive, and many of the images I looked at were terrific. There's lots of love out there for this lens, for sure.

I haven't used the lens extensively yet on my K-3 II. My initial tests show that my copy is not de-centered and corner sharpness is good. My first images of the neighbourhood fire hydrants, road signs, mailboxes, parks, houses and such are showing that the lens does indeed live up to its positive rep, and I like the images more than similar ones I had taken with my DA 18-135.

With a bit of searching, I think you'll find plenty of glowing reports here on PF (and also at DPReview Pentax SLR Talk). The lens is not loved universally, but I don't think any lens is. The thread that @W412ren provides is particularly useful to see a range of great pictures from the lens.

- Craig
I must learn how to test for decenterness etc. I've never really done it. I am frankly at a loss for the official review here to have the Sharpness seemingly rated very low, whereas a lot of the reviewers give it 9 and 10/10 etc. Could it be PF reviewed a duff 20-40? Time they reviewed it again, on FF as well

05-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just don't have the time to go trolling through 43 pages on ADSL2+ for images taken with that and only that lens. That's part of the issue, I really hoped it would have it's own page.
Actually, that thread is currently dedicated to the DA 20-40 mm, which is the only 'DA Limited Zoom' at present. the thread is not the same one as the general one for 'DA Zooms'.

I am frankly at a loss for the official review here to have the Sharpness seemingly rated very low, whereas a lot of the reviewers give it 9 and 10/10 etc. Could it be PF reviewed a duff 20-40?
When I was considering the lens for purchase, I did read the PF review. I'm not sure of the reason for the relatively low rating for sharpness (7/10), but some of the images in the review appear worse than many sample images I have seen online. I also looked at several other lens reviews, including those done by Imaging Resource, lenstip, and ePhotozine.

The various sharpness tests are not wholly consistent, but I found that the PF review was more critical of centre- and corner sharpness than the other reviews. Lenstip was critical of the edge sharpness; ePhotozine assessed "very good sharpness in the centre" at maximum aperture and excellent sharpness across the frame when stopped down slightly; Imaging Resource was generally more favourable.

In my initial testing and walk-abouts with my copy, I've not been disappointed with any of the images, although I probably haven't stressed the lens much. For example, I haven't tested for flare.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.
05-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Actually, that thread is currently dedicated to the DA 20-40 mm, which is the only 'DA Limited Zoom' at present. the thread is not the same one as the general one for 'DA Zooms'.

When I was considering the lens for purchase, I did read the PF review. I'm not sure of the reason for the relatively low rating for sharpness (7/10), but some of the images in the review appear worse than many sample images I have seen online. I also looked at several other lens reviews, including those done by Imaging Resource, lenstip, and ePhotozine. The various sharpness tests are not wholly consistent, but I concluded that the PF review was generally more critical of centre- and corner sharpness than the other reviews. Lenstip was especially critical of the edge sharpness, but Imaging Resource was generally favourable.

In my initial testing and walk-abouts with my copy, I've not been disappointed with any of the images, although I probably haven't stressed the lens much. For example, I haven't tested for flare.

- Craig
Ah! Thanks, I misunderstood the title of that thread then. I don't know my zooms very well (prime only kinda guy here). So there are no other DA Zooms considered worthy of the 'Ltd' tag? Cool didn't know that.

I will have to look at the other reviews for sure, but really... what other choices do we have for small compact zooms that are WR? I'd even consider a prime for WR, but we have only the 55* , DFA100 Macro and DFA50. This is why the 20-40 has piqued my interest so much.
05-17-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a chance to put the 20-40 on my K-1 and really regret not taking some sample shots now. I am aware that it seems to be ok at certain focal lengths. I'm looking for any 20-40 K-1 owner to point me to some shots taken with their K-1, and if possible even link me some RAW files

I absolutely love what I see with the HD DA 20-40 on crop, and I have a KP, so I'm half way there, but if I can actually shoot f2.8 at around 24mm with decent centre sharpness on the K-1 then I think I'm sold tbh.

Thanks peeps!

Bruce
Apologies for being so late but work and home life combined and got in the way.
We went to a Beltane Festival on 4th May so I used the 20-40 on the K-1.

Here is a small album W412ren's Album: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm Limited on the K-1 - PentaxForums.com
on the forums.

Here are the links to some of the RAW files which are in DropBox. These are 45MB each.

1. D FA 28-105 vs DA 20-40
Dropbox - K1WN5097.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5098.DNG - Simplify your life

2. Close focus at different apertures
Dropbox - K1WN5108.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5109.DNG - Simplify your life

3. Distance at different focal lengths
Dropbox - K1WN5111.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5112.DNG - Simplify your life

4. Distance at f11
Dropbox - K1WN5116.DNG - Simplify your life

5. Very close at f5 40mm
Dropbox - K1WN5117.DNG - Simplify your life
05-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Apologies for being so late but work and home life combined and got in the way.
We went to a Beltane Festival on 4th May so I used the 20-40 on the K-1.

Here is a small album W412ren's Album: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm Limited on the K-1 - PentaxForums.com
on the forums.

Here are the links to some of the RAW files which are in DropBox. These are 45MB each.

1. D FA 28-105 vs DA 20-40
Dropbox - K1WN5097.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5098.DNG - Simplify your life

2. Close focus at different apertures
Dropbox - K1WN5108.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5109.DNG - Simplify your life

3. Distance at different focal lengths
Dropbox - K1WN5111.DNG - Simplify your life
Dropbox - K1WN5112.DNG - Simplify your life

4. Distance at f11
Dropbox - K1WN5116.DNG - Simplify your life

5. Very close at f5 40mm
Dropbox - K1WN5117.DNG - Simplify your life
I have now got the HD DA 20-40 and have also started an album with it on the K-1 in ff mode; HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr

I'll check your shots out, cheers! (better late than never! hehehe)
05-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm kinda surprised there's not much threads about this lens. No lens club purely for this lens (whereas heaps of other prime ltds get dedicated threads). 'DA Zoom' club is too large and generic, very hard to find sample shots of the HD DA 20-40. The flickr group has only ONE shot in hundreds of the 20-40 taking a night city shot (to evaluate star bursts), and the in depth review really gives the sharpness of this lens a hammering yet I do see exceptional sharpness from this lens in other shots on flickr etc.

Honestly I don't know what to believe...

I would really like some more feedback especially concerning it's power on FF. I have a KP and K-1 and feel it would extend it's use on FF, but not if somehow it loses even more sharpness and IQ at the focal lengths it seems to perform ok at. I don't mind vignetting, I can correct a lot of that in post, but I can't make up for lack of sharpness too much (boosting micro contrast really etc).

I just don't know what to make of this lens, did it not do well? It seems on paper to tick a lot of boxes, WR, compact, metal strong construction, DC AF, Quick Shift etc. Some of these reasons is why I sold the HD DA 21 and 15 (because they were not WR etc).

Bruce: The DA 20-40 is the only Limited Zoom lens, so the DA Limited Zoom Club should only have posts from this lens. I also see that all the K-1 Laboratory images except the temple gate are shot with lens corrections off. That should give you a clear indication of what the lens can do on K-1.

The 20-40 is pretty much glued to my KP. I tried to sell it last winter (I have far too many lenses) but the clearing price seems to be $400 or less for LN- copies and it is too good a lens to give away for a 50% haircut. I’m glad I dodn’t sell because afterward I decided to shoot with it for a month without removing it from my KP (they’re just pedestrian grandchildren snapshots) and now it is there unless one of the DA* zooms is. If I want to shoot DA Limited primes I have to leave it home because it just jumps out of the bag right onto the camera if I don’t.

I understand that isn’t the kind of detailed, technical response you want, but it should indicate you should keep looking. It’s a great lens! I’ll try to do some K-1 images tomorrow for this thread but I’m in the middle of a family drama and I can’t promise.
05-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Bruce: The DA 20-40 is the only Limited Zoom lens, so the DA Limited Zoom Club should only have posts from this lens. I also see that all the K-1 Laboratory images except the temple gate are shot with lens corrections off. That should give you a clear indication of what the lens can do on K-1.

The 20-40 is pretty much glued to my KP. I tried to sell it last winter (I have far too many lenses) but the clearing price seems to be $400 or less for LN- copies and it is too good a lens to give away for a 50% haircut. I’m glad I dodn’t sell because afterward I decided to shoot with it for a month without removing it from my KP (they’re just pedestrian grandchildren snapshots) and now it is there unless one of the DA* zooms is. If I want to shoot DA Limited primes I have to leave it home because it just jumps out of the bag right onto the camera if I don’t.

I understand that isn’t the kind of detailed, technical response you want, but it should indicate you should keep looking. It’s a great lens! I’ll try to do some K-1 images tomorrow for this thread but I’m in the middle of a family drama and I can’t promise.
Don't worry about, I now own the lens for myself Deal with the family drama

HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr