Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 review?

Now that the HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 has been available for some months, I have been looking out for a detailed review of the lens. It would also be very interesting to see a comparison with the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4.0. The latter is eminently suitable for wide field astro-work due to excellent performance at 12mm wide open. I use the DA 12-24mm for northern lights photography, and I am especially interested in how the new DA* 11-18 would compare.

Has anybody seen a comprehensive review of the HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm F2.8?

Last edited by bjolester; 05-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.
05-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I‘ve been waiting and searching since February, but so far no review of the 11-18. I suspect the first and only review will be published here at pentaxforums ...
05-02-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This review is next in line after the GR III. Aiming to get it out there before the end of summer- preferably much earlier than that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm curious too. If the K-3II replacement is full of excellence & win, I'll be getting this lens along with the upcoming DA* 16-50mm replacement that's supposedly in the works.

05-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This review is next in line after the GR III. Aiming to get it out there before the end of summer- preferably much earlier than that.
I am very much looking foreward to studying the Pentaxforums review!
05-03-2019, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #6
BFD

Da* 11-18

I had been waiting for this lens. I was going to wait to purchase till some reviews came out from the labs. I searched the forums for user and test imagess and saw that his lens looked super. So, I purchased one l and have taken many images with a KP. I am totally impressed. I sold My Sigma 10-20 This lens will be closer to perfect 10 than any other. It is like having a fast DA 15 in a zoom only better.
For wide angle APSC it probably is the best there is. If you have a need or a have strong desire to purchase this lens, don't wait for lab results to start enjoying it.
05-04-2019, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

There have been quite a few reviews in the Japanese camera magazines, none of which have found any serious issues. Obviously, I’m not able to provide a link for them.

This report from a retailer has some full size samples.
?????? HD PENTAX-DA?11-18mmF2.8ED DC AW ???????? ? ?? ??????? - ????

These ones don’t have full size samples.
PENTAX???????? HD PENTAX-DA?11-18mmF2.8ED DC AW ?????? | ???????
?????? | KASYAPA | 514:DA??????????PENTAX HD DA?11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW? | PENTAX & RICOH

For what it’s worth, Kimio Tanaka (a photographer invited to speak for Ricoh at CP+) is of the opinion that this lens represents the pinnacle of Pentax lens design, even more so than the DFA* 50mm.

As long as you’re ok with the price, I think it’s going to deliver.

05-04-2019, 02:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ePhotozine are usually quite quick off the blocks and cover Pentax stuff well - I'm guessing they won't be too long
05-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hey, admin, how about some preliminary results? Simply posting a range of images of a grid would be useful to me, since I'm concerned about linear distortion. How long would it take to snap a few photos of the sun, for my fellow foes of flare? Look at what DPR, parceling out reviews as first impressions, user experience, samples, etc.

I just bought this lens tonight, without benefit of any online reviews except user reports here and B&H's puff piece. I hope it works, because I don't see many alternatives. My real estate company has switched to all-HDR products. HDR seems to magnify every imperfection of lenses (and lighting!). I'm finding that my trusty ol' Sigma 12-24 EX has a hidden weakness: purple blobs at the edges of bright windows, and other unpredictable places. This new 11-18 looks to be Pentax's best for this work. How about including a few HDR samples with every ultrawide you test?
05-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Hey, admin, how about some preliminary results? Simply posting a range of images of a grid would be useful to me, since I'm concerned about linear distortion. How long would it take to snap a few photos of the sun, for my fellow foes of flare? Look at what DPR, parceling out reviews as first impressions, user experience, samples, etc.

I just bought this lens tonight, without benefit of any online reviews except user reports here and B&H's puff piece. I hope it works, because I don't see many alternatives. My real estate company has switched to all-HDR products. HDR seems to magnify every imperfection of lenses (and lighting!). I'm finding that my trusty ol' Sigma 12-24 EX has a hidden weakness: purple blobs at the edges of bright windows, and other unpredictable places. This new 11-18 looks to be Pentax's best for this work. How about including a few HDR samples with every ultrawide you test?
Purple fringing was a bigger problem on film-era lenses, but is much better-controlled these days. It can also be corrected in post, and Pentax lenses (including all DA and D FA lenses, and some others) also have in-camera profiles for this.

You can expect our review (or first impressions review) to be published after the in-depth GR III review.

In the mean time, if you'd like to post some test photos to check with the community if there are any problems with your copy, I think that would be a good idea. There are of course a number of users who already have this lens, so they may be of more help in the mean time.

@bdery

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2019, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #11

I really like this lens, and it is definitely better than my old Pentax 12-24. I was a little worried with edge performance at the beginning, but I found an article called "Finding the best average focus point" (link below) and now I focus a little off-center and my edges are very sharp. It is because of field curvature.

I just wait for a Lightroom update with lens profile for distortion correction now. Strangely, it seems that my K-3II apply lens corrections with this lens on jpeg...

Article that helped me: Lens Rentals | Blog

My only regret with this lens and all newly released lenses is rounded aperture blades... I need to close to f/16 or f/22 to get good looking sunstars. This is more Photoshop work to combine f/8 and f/22 images for cityscape work, and it's more time on the field.
05-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hey, admin, how about some preliminary results? Simply posting a range of images of a grid would be useful to me, since I'm concerned about linear distortion. How long would it take to snap a few photos of the sun, for my fellow foes of flare?
As Adam has stated, the 11-18 review will happen after the GR III review. There's only so much one can do on his spare time

I just bought this lens tonight, without benefit of any online reviews except user reports here and B&H's puff piece.
I wish you and other early adopters take the time to share their impression in the forum, for the benefit of the group.

How about including a few HDR samples with every ultrawide you test?
HDR is extremely sensitive to settings. Your particular application is probably not the same as other people's. I will try to cover as broad a range as possible, and will certainly keep your comments in mind.

I hope you are happy with the lens.

EDIT : while I'm sure the 11-18 will be an excellent choice, you can look at the Irix 11mm and 15mm and the Laowa 12mm also. The Laowa in particular is an impressive lens.
05-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A prime lens is too limiting. RE photogs debate focal lengths endlessly. Some scenes and rooms need the widest lens, but many don't. Front shots, backyard views and community features demand longer focal lengths. My current system is ideal: with the K-1's crop facilities, I can cover 12-35mm with one lens. I can't wait and crop everything later, it takes too much time. Among the new brands of ultrawides, I haven't seen reviews reporting good flare and linear distortion resistance in the same lens.

My problem with the Sigma EX isn't common purple fringing. Instead, I'm getting fuzzy blobs at the edges of bright window frames and around bright lights. Working with flash, they were such a small part of the exposure that they didn't show. Once I'm making 2-sec HDR exposures, they sneak in.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, Mr. Admin.
05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA* 11-18 is brilliant. I can't provide you with a detailed review, but here is a summary of my month shooting it daily:

QuoteQuote:
It is comparatively tiny. It is nowhere near as front heavy. It takes normal 82mm filters. It has (probably) better weather sealing. It has a AF/MF switch and a focus lock. The hood is better. Flare resistance is better. The difference in build quality is marked - it really feels like a Pentax. I initially thought it was an internal zoom design, but the front element does in fact retract slightly from 11mm to 16mm, only to extend infinitesimally back out to 18mm.

Optically it is pretty hard to fault, accepting the limitations of ultra-wide lenses. It is very sharp in the central 75% or so from wide open, but it does take f/8.0 or so to crisp up the corners. There is some purple and green fringing in the corners in high contrast situations, but it was never difficult to correct in Lightroom. Distortion is negligible.

I might keep the 15-30 for serious stuff locally, but when I'm packing for travel the 11-18 will be the choice. Every time.
There is an album (including some boring but perhaps informative test shots) HERE
05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA* 11-18 is brilliant. I can't provide you with a detailed review, but here is a summary of my month shooting it daily:

There is an album (including some boring but perhaps informative test shots) HERE
Simple purple fringes are fine, they can be batch-corrected. How about the lens flares, and how's the barrel distortion?