Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Simple purple fringes are fine, they can be batch-corrected. How about the lens flares, and how's the barrel distortion?
Did you look at the album?

Flare: these are pretty savage tests. Generally it is very well controlled.

Distortion: I have made no attempts to measure it, but I don't recall feeling the need to correct for barrel or pincushion distortion at any stage with this lens. It's negligible.

05-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've uploaded some RAW files from the 11-18 and KP to my Google Drive. These are just snapshots, so don't expect works of art, but hopefully they will do as samples of what the lens can do. Feel free to download and check out. You can repost and share your edits and conclusions if you like. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YsyzdJs89wg5z1BlcrX-In7ZOjiJdxY1?usp=sharing
05-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Did you look at the album?

Flare: these are pretty savage tests. Generally it is very well controlled.

Distortion: I have made no attempts to measure it, but I don't recall feeling the need to correct for barrel or pincushion distortion at any stage with this lens. It's negligible.
Great, that's all good news. Low linear distortion is so important when so many of your photos have a doorway or a window placed along the edge. I really like my Sigma 12-24; it only rarely needs a small fix in this situation, but it's showing flare problems with my HDR work. See those purple blobs below the lights?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Wheatridger; 05-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.
05-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A prime lens is too limiting. RE photogs debate focal lengths endlessly. Some scenes and rooms need the widest lens, but many don't. Front shots, backyard views and community features demand longer focal lengths. My current system is ideal: with the K-1's crop facilities, I can cover 12-35mm with one lens. I can't wait and crop everything later, it takes too much time. Among the new brands of ultrawides, I haven't seen reviews reporting good flare and linear distortion resistance in the same lens.

My problem with the Sigma EX isn't common purple fringing. Instead, I'm getting fuzzy blobs at the edges of bright window frames and around bright lights. Working with flash, they were such a small part of the exposure that they didn't show. Once I'm making 2-sec HDR exposures, they sneak in.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, Mr. Admin.
Yesterday evening I wrote some words about the lens in the Pentax Lens Review Section and think I‘ll add some more info at the weekend. Hope it will be helpfull for you.

If you walk through the K-1, KP and Black & White thread you should find some of my image examples immediately after the lens was availlable in germany. I think this was my first post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/383711-show-us-your-hd-pe...ml#post4591256

Last edited by acoufap; 05-09-2019 at 08:59 PM.
05-09-2019, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #20

A prime lens is too limiting. RE photogs debate focal lengths endlessly. Some scenes and rooms need the widest lens, but many don't. Front shots, backyard views and community features demand longer focal lengths. My current system is ideal: with the K-1's crop facilities, I can cover 12-35mm with one lens. I can't wait and crop everything later, it takes too much time. Among the new brands of ultrawides, I haven't seen reviews reporting good flare and linear distortion resistance in the same lens.

My problem with the Sigma EX isn't common purple fringing. Instead, I'm getting fuzzy blobs at the edges of bright window frames and around bright lights. Working with flash, they were such a small part of the exposure that they didn't show. Once I'm making 2-sec HDR exposures, they sneak in.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, Mr. Admin.
The are nice tutorials from Mike Kelley, an architectural photographer, on fstoppers.com. He is using 24mm tilt shift lens for more than 90% of it's work, so may be the Rokinon/Samyang 24mm T/S lens is a good option too if you only do real estate photography.
05-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everybody does RE photography differently, but a 24mm is far too tight for me and my market. Many of my homes are small, with small rooms. A 24 would depict a corner of a room, or one wall. But I'm expected to get all of a secondary bathroom in one shot. Or show how the kitchen and family room flow together in an open floor plan. I've gotten plenty of praise from clients for these, and nobody's ever said that any shot was too wide. We also do spherical panoramas, so the overall style of our site is broad and immersive.

T/S lenses are handy once in awhile. I have a simple shift adapter to mount my Sigma 12-24 on a Fuji mirrorless. It works well, because the Sigma has a manual aperture ring. But I don't need it often, because LR's Vertical slider does the job.

Architectural photography is quite different from RE photography. I've heard about them spending two hours retouching a single photo, and billing over $300 for it. I'm at the other end of the market. I need to do several houses a day, delivering a hundred stills or more. Dealing with manual lenses and frequent lens changes isn't an option. It's productivity I need, not perfectionism. Thanks for your advice, though.
05-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Among the new brands of ultrawides, I haven't seen reviews reporting good flare and linear distortion resistance in the same lens.
Correct. The best for distortion is the Laowa 12mm, but it flares quite a lot. The Irix are slightly better for flare, less so for distortion. However, you could apply profiles automatically and have distortion corrected as you importe the files.

T/S lenses are handy once in awhile.
You can use the sensor shift in your Pentax in a pinch.

Last edited by bdery; 05-10-2019 at 10:07 AM.
05-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do- that's the biggest reason I'm using Pentax for this work. AFAIK, it's their exclusive feature. It's not capable of as much correction as a shift lens, or even the LR slider, but it's wonderful for setting the proportions of ceiling and floor in an on-the-level composition.
05-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This review is next in line after the GR III. Aiming to get it out there before the end of summer- preferably much earlier than that.
Please include into review compatibility with Lee 82 mm W/A adapter ring as I am disappointed it doesn't fit. Filter use for w/a lens is crucial at least for me for landscapes.
05-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivetta Quote
Please include into review compatibility with Lee 82 mm W/A adapter ring as I am disappointed it doesn't fit. Filter use for w/a lens is crucial at least for me for landscapes.
I don't have one under hand for testing, sadly. There are quite a few wide angle filter solutions, testing them all is not realistic. Probably your best source of information would be the filter manufacturer itself.
05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivetta Quote
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't fit?

Personally, instead of purchasing the Lee 82mm ring which was expensive, I gave a try to a new filter holder: the Kase K8 which comes with a magnetic polarizer and several adapter rings, for 120€. I didn't used it a lot for the moment but it does the job.

If you own the Lee polarizing filter however, the less expensive is to buy the 82mm ring.
05-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't fit?

Personally, instead of purchasing the Lee 82mm ring which was expensive, I gave a try to a new filter holder: the Kase K8 which comes with a magnetic polarizer and several adapter rings, for 120€. I didn't used it a lot for the moment but it does the job.

If you own the Lee polarizing filter however, the less expensive is to buy the 82mm ring.
I don't have to buy 82 mm as I already have it . I tried to use it for my new lens but if I am correct the rim of the lens is to small/short to put 82 mm adapter ring? Is it possible that is is problem of Pentax or it is new model/type of lens? I mark with red in the picture attached .
Attached Images

11-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Digging this up just to check in and see what user experiences have been so far with the 11-18. The official review is good, but interested in whether more people can attest to the consistency of what looks to be a very good lens. Reality is I this isn't in the budget until some used copies show up or the price slips a bit. Maybe get it in a bundle with the new APS-C flagship in a year or so?
11-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Digging this up just to check in and see what user experiences have been so far with the 11-18. The official review is good, but interested in whether more people can attest to the consistency of what looks to be a very good lens. Reality is I this isn't in the budget until some used copies show up or the price slips a bit. Maybe get it in a bundle with the new APS-C flagship in a year or so?
I wrote the review so you know how I feel about the lens More to the point, I have not yet found someone who didn't very much like the lens.
11-04-2019, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

My 11-18 has seen quite some usage and I‘m still happy with it. The only limitation I‘ve experienced is that my K3-II has sometimes difficulties to get focus right when using it at the wide end focussing on very distant objects. But that‘s more a technical limitation of the camera resp. the AF method.

I ended up using the 11-18 as main lens on my last trip and it delivered beautifully.

I even tried astro shots for the first time. The clamp is a musthave for this, since you shoot wide open, just focus once before sunset and lock focus.

Does that answer your question?