Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In absolute terms, yes it has some measurable affect on the image. Will you be able to discern it from viewing your shots? Highly unlikely. It's too far from the focus point and at worst you'll lose a little contrast. One scratch won't make a noticeable difference. People just like to obsess about dust specs, tiny scratches, pixels, etc.

Sounds like you're getting a good deal to me. Buy it and enjoy it!

10-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
Thanks for all the helpful replies. The lens in question is a FA*85/1.4 with an asking price of $US550 due to 'the scratch'. I'm going to look at it on Wednesday.
That is the sort of lens I could consider buying with a scratch.

Now, remember to forget all these advices and tell them instead that your fellow members warned you for terrible effects of scratches of exactly that position, so you might get it down to 450 or so.

And stay away from that india ink or felt pens They will make it worse! It's not a car window for heavens sake!!!
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
That's an interesting observation. so presumably filling-in the scratch using a black felt tip pen would do the same thing? Although the front lens would look a little weird with a black line on it...

I've heard that scratches on a CRT glass screen can be repaired - there are companies that will fill-in the scratch and make it "disappear", I wonder if that would work too? (I learned about this from a thread elsewhere where the toddler daughter of the poster had repeatedly pushed a toy car back and forth over the front of a brand new, big screen, plasma TV and scratched it. Unfortunately, the screen was plastic, but there were lots of suggestions for fixing scratches on glass-fronted TVs!)

Richard
India Ink is an actual pigment, felt pen is a dye type ink, I do believe. Felt pen isn't what you want.
Ink is not a permanent fix, I am sure that over time it will come off the lens, just from routine cleaning.
I'd be afraid that the filler used in the glass repair process wouldn't have the same refractive properties as the glass, and what sort of polishing do they do during application (will that damage the coatings?)
It is an interesting thought though.
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I had two pretty badly scratched lenses on both the front and rear elements. One is a Takumar 105/2.8, the other is an A*85/1.4:

Surprisingly, both still take very decent photos. The first two by the Takumar, and next two by the A*85:

Someone did a test: put a small piece of tape on the front element, and seemed no much different from w/o the tape. So I guess certain amount of scratches (especially on the front element) wouldn't affect IQ too much.

10-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I had two pretty badly scratched lenses on both the front and rear elements. One is a Takumar 105/2.8, the other is an A*85/1.4:

...<snip>.....
Frank, those are terrible shots. It's obvious the scratches are affecting the image quality. Since my standards are much lower than yours, I'll be glad to take either one of those damaged lenses off your hands, if you'll pay the shipping, of course.
10-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Frank, those are terrible shots. It's obvious the scratches are affecting the image quality. Since my standards are much lower than yours, I'll be glad to take either one of those damaged lenses off your hands, if you'll pay the shipping, of course.
It does make the always on lens cap and UV filter brigade look pretty silly, doesn't it?
10-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Sorry I didn't keep these two lenses. After some comparison I felt I could do w/ the FA77 for the A*85. Gave the Takumar to a friend who really loves MF lenses

But after my experiences w/ these two lenses, I don't care too much about the minor scratches or dust problem w/ my lenses, although I do use filters on most of them. And if I use filter, I only use the best that I could afford, the Pentax SMC UV or Skylight filters
10-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It does make the always on lens cap and UV filter brigade look pretty silly, doesn't it?
You hit it on the head, buddy

I did however return a Zeiss Planar since it had a large grain of sand(!) inside, and marks on the rear element (among other issues). That sand might have affected the image in certain situations, but a little dust never hurt anyone.

10-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Actually, to be technically correct...ANY malady a lens has will affect it.

In reality, it's hard to notice (and generally care). You should see the inside of my Tam 90...lots of dust and some fungus. Matter? None to me, while I shoot it wide open.