Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I did my son's wedding with the DA 20-40mm as my primary lens and a Sigma 70/2.8 as the secondary lens. The following are a couple of pics. I was not allowed to use a flash in the church, so the f2.8 was instrumental in getting indoor photos.

Indeed! Yes, for indoor use, the f/2.8 aperture is why pros have such lenses as the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC constant aperture. I have used this type of lens for various indoor events, including weddings as a secondary photographer, and I can say there are times when having this much aperture available to me was essential.

But hopefully, there will be at least some parts of the event where using flash is ok. It can be very important for certain effects, like putting catchlight in the eyes, etc. Practice is important for judicious adjustment of flash output. I have shot weddings where there were no restrictions as to flash, and have employed slower but longer-range zoom lenses, similar to the DA 18-135mm with excellent results. Sometimes this kind of range is crucial in nabbing a brief moment where the expressions are just right, etc. because of being able to instantly zoom in to reframe your shot. Also, there may be some outdoor daylight scenes, but using flash helps with them as well.

05-08-2019, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the 17-50 will cover pretty much most of the wedding. fisheyes are a lot of fun at weddings, especially on the dance floor. if ur copy of the tamron is sharp wide open @ 50mm then ur fine, otherwise u can also take the DA70 for portraits
05-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It wasn't all that long ago a common wedding photographer's setup consisted of a medium format camera (often a Hasselblad) and just three lenses - a wide (30mm equivalent or so), a normal, and a long (100mm or so). Zooms were not normally an option, but wedding photographers managed to do just fine without them.

...Back in the late 90s I found myself shooting weddings for my (ex) wife's family. No, I wasn't a pro, but my skills (and equipment) were head and shoulders above the photographers that the members of my none-too affluent in-laws could afford. I did eventually shoot about 6 weddings for members of her family - donating my time and the negatives along with a set of proof prints as our wedding gift to the couple. For the record, everyone was very pleased with my work.

I would shoot the ceremony and the after-ceremony formal shots with my 645 outfit - using the aforementioned lens kit - but switched to my 35mm setup for the reception. Neither setup was autofocus, neither setup was motorized. The flash setup for my 645 was a Vivitar HV 285 (i.e., non-TTL) on a rotating flash bracket above the camera. I'd fire the flash into a Lumiquest pocket bouncer, which gave me about 12" of separation between the flash and the center of the lens. And for the record, I'd shoot the reception with primes on a 35mm camera - again a wide/normal/long trio, only using a dedicated flash also firing into a pocket bouncer.

So, in my opinion the 20-40 will work well for many of the shots, but as other have noted, you'll want something longer for portraits and shots from back of the location during the ceremony. Your 70 should do fine.

Generally you can't use flash during the ceremony, but it's usually ok for the after the ceremony shots - but check.

Give some thought to you will do flash diffusion. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling is often not an option at the wedding location, but you will want to use some kind of diffusion to soften shadows and reduce the harshness of the flash. Also, as others have noted avoid using too wide of a lens when people are in the picture. If you make your friend's mother-in-law look fat you may never be forgiven! <grin>

Attend the rehearsal if possible to get an idea of the layout of the location, the guidelines you need to work under and the sequence of events of the ceremony. Have a plan of where you're going to shoot from and how you will shoot before the ceremony begins. Have an understanding of what shots are wanted and who NEEDS to be in these shots.