Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AW vs WR

So what's the official difference between lenses marked as being WR vs AW?

Anyone?

Cheers,

Bruce

05-07-2019, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

Anyone?

Cheers,

Bruce
Not sure about "official" but this has been discussed here before: WR and AW lenses: a difference you may not even know existed - PentaxForums.com

Pentax says this of AW: "Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
Developed as an AW (All Weather) model, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant structure with eight special seals to prevent the intrusion of water and dust into the lens interior. When paired with a PENTAX weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, it forms a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray."

And this of WR: "Weather-resistant construction
This lens features a dependable weather-resistant construction with eight sealing parts to effectively prevent the intrusion of water into the lens interior. Paired with a weather-resistant PENTAX digital SLR camera body, it creates a durable, dependable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting settings — even in rain or mist, or in locations prone to water splashing or spray.
"

Not very helpful really!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.
05-07-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Anyone?

Cheers,

Bruce
WR = Water resistant
AW = All Weather, sealed against water and dust.
05-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Anyone?

Cheers,

Bruce
AW has dust sealing as well and is standard on star lenses. Informally, it is generally applied to lenses with fewer moving parts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PENTAX Lens Glossary - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S Still not very detailed.
05-07-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about official, but the AW lenses I have owned (all of the DA* and DFA* lenses, plus the DFA 150-450) just feel like they are built to far greater tolerances than any of my WR lenses (all three 55-300 variants, DA 18-135, and even the DA 20-40 Limited).

They inspire confidence.
05-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Bruce
Manufacturers seem very reluctant into stating anything officially. As I also shoot Nikon, many of my lenses are WR/AW but there is no designation and you'd have to tear the lens apart to discover the seals or lack thereof.

My impression from Ricoh/Pentax marketing is that AW is a step up from the WR designation. In the same way both the K-70 and K-1 are weather sealed, the amount and extent of sealing on the K-1 are greater than the K-70.

With any DSLR body that is marketed as WR, using a WR lens assures the photographer that the lens is as protected as the body. With AW, the sealing and design is such that there is greater protection.

I am not aware of any standards or ratings of this by Ricoh or anyone else. ISO does have ratings for water proofing (submersion), which is not the case for WR or AW.

05-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. Sounds like AW is just a bit bette than WR in that it does some level of dust proofing as well. If the K-1 is WR and you put a AW lens on it, does that mean the K-1 is now the weakest link
05-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

There are objective standards for water proofing and resistance - the IPX ratings that some phones acquire, for example, but the camera and lens manufacturers cleverly choose not to submit to them for testing.

Their warranties all say they won't cover water damage.
05-07-2019, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
. . . Their warranties all say they won't cover water damage.
when considering the " protection " against moisture provided by your camera or lens, whether WR or AW - this is a nice thread to review:

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
05-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the website they currently lump them together:
Dust-resistant, Weather-resistant Construction
PENTAX's SLR cameras are resistant to the adverse conditions of outdoor photography and can be used even under severe environmental conditions. To enable use with these cameras, the paired lenses must also have exceptional dust-resistant and weather-resistant performance. For this reason, PENTAX has developed dust-resistant and weather-resistant lenses that have been sealed for preventing the entry of water and dust. Some lenses also have an enhanced weather-resistant construction that can protect against the splashing of rainwater. We plan to overcome issues such as lens structures that require air removal due to the lens length or lens operation comfort for providing not only high-performance lenses, but lenses that can be used for a wider range of applications by enhancing the basic specifications of PENTAX interchangeable lenses.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/technology/
05-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There are objective standards for water proofing and resistance - the IPX ratings that some phones acquire, for example, but the camera and lens manufacturers cleverly choose not to submit to them for testing.

Their warranties all say they won't cover water damage.
For obvious reasons camera manufactures can only put IPX ratings on fixed lens cameras.
When dust particles large as golf balls can enter the lens mount, it will not be meaningful to put IPX ratings on ILC and lenses.

Which is also why they cannot cover against water damages.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-08-2019 at 12:04 AM.
05-08-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am dubious about the AW rating of the DFA 150-450. At least one person on PF has had their's fail in bad weather, and mine was full of dust when it arrived new in the box. It extends too much and so draws in too much air to be solidly AW, unlike the 70-200 for instance.
05-08-2019, 02:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It extends too much and so draws in too much air to be solidly AW, unlike the 70-200 for instance.
The DA*16-50 and DA*60-250 also extend quite a long way. I'm haven't heard too much about their weather sealing failing.

My DFA150-450 got a flogging in Antarctica a few months ago, in blizzards and sea spray. No problem.
05-08-2019, 02:19 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I am dubious about the AW rating of the DFA 150-450. At least one person on PF has had their's fail in bad weather, and mine was full of dust when it arrived new in the box. It extends too much and so draws in too much air to be solidly AW, unlike the 70-200 for instance.
In this case, I'd take AW to signify there's as much weather resistance protection incorporated as is reasonably practical, given the extending barrel zoom lens. As you rightly indicate, that has to be the weak spot in any lens of this type...