Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Manual focus on DSLR

I've noticed on my K100D that the lenses don't behave the same as my trusty film 35mm. On those, using manual focus, you have a subject in the far distance, just slam the focus to the stop and you
have infinity and you're done.
I've noticed that with the DSLR, you have to back up a small amount, like the focus point at infinity is a little beyond infinity?
I am guessing this is due to the 1.5 crop factor? Anyway it's a little annoying, especially since the K100D doesn't have a really nice focus screen.
Are there any focus screen aftermarket or optional stuff available?
My old Minolta has a gizmo in the middle that kind of cut the scene like a line on bifocals. You find something in the viewfinder that is vertical like the corner of a building or a tree and line up the top edge to the bottom edge and you had perfect focus.

10-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leaton Quote
I've noticed on my K100D that the lenses don't behave the same as my trusty film 35mm. On those, using manual focus, you have a subject in the far distance, just slam the focus to the stop and you
I've noticed that with the DSLR, you have to back up a small amount, like the focus point at infinity is a little beyond infinity?
I am guessing this is due to the 1.5 crop factor?
Hmm... I don't think it has anything to do with the 1.5 crop factor but then again, I might be wrong. Please feel free to correct me people!

Anyway it's a little annoying, especially since the K100D doesn't have a really nice focus screen.
My old Minolta has a gizmo in the middle that kind of cut the scene like a line on bifocals. You find something in the viewfinder that is vertical like the corner of a building or a tree and line up the top edge to the bottom edge and you had perfect focus.
Not too sure if it is available for K100D but for DS, you can get KatzEye Focusing screen which uses a split prism. I've heard that it works pretty well. Here is the link to KatzEye page:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

cheers
Kenny
10-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am guessing this is due to the 1.5 crop factor? Anyway it's a little annoying, especially since the K100D doesn't have a really nice focus screen.
Hmmm...I don't 'slam' them, but I do find the infinity focal point to be the same on film vs. digital. The only way they would be different is if the register distance is off.
Is the focus screen the same as on the DS? I did notice when I tried a K100D that the view is noticeably smaller than on my DS, and it impacted greatly the view with my manual focus lens. If so, the weak point in your camera might be the pentamirror rather than the focus screen - however a brighter KatzEye with a split-prism might help here too. I haven't moved to a KatzEye because I work in stop-down mode most of the time (I use M42 lenses a lot) and the KatzEye 'blacks out' at smaller apertures.
10-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys - I'll check out the Katz eye

10-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
There was no mention of the K100D on the website, so I emailed them. Here is what I got:

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. At this point, we are just beginning
our development work on the Pentax K100D. We are hopeful that things will
progress quickly and we will be able to release a Katz Eye screen for that
model in the near future. I will add your name to the interest list and
I'll let you know as soon as we have any more information about the K100D.
Thanks again for your interest, and if you have any other questions, please
feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Rachael Katz
Katz EyeT Optics
(413) 743 - 2523 Office
www.katzeyeoptics.com

I'll post when I hear from them.
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
An update I recieved today:

Dear Fellow Photographer,

We are writing you today because you expressed an interest in the Katz Eye focusing screen for the Pentax K100D. We are pleased to announce that the Katz Eye focusing screen for this model has been released. Thank you very much for your patience during our development period. Full details about the new screen can be found on our website, Katz Eye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens - there is a link to the new screen right on the home page. Thank you very much for your interest in Katz Eye products, and if you have any questions about the new screen for the Pentax K100D, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Katz Eye™ Optics

(413) 743 - 2523 Office

Katz Eye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens