Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

RMC Tokina 75-260mm w/ Canon Mount - Chances of Finding a Donor K Mount?

There doesn't seem to have been much discussion of this lens here in recent years. I have one in very good condition (actually the Sears rebranded version) that I inherited from my late father. I've seen some interesting comments here and elsewhere about using it in close focus (aka macro) mode, and am interested in experimenting with it. The problem is that Dad had a Canon AE-1 so the lens has an FD mount.

This lens was available from Tokina (and Sears, and possibly Vivitar or others) with a variety of mounts including K mount. Two questions:

1) Has anyone successfully replaced a Tokina mount for a different camera with a K mount?
2) What are the chances of finding a non-functional Tokina lens with a K mount that I can swap onto this lens in place of the FD mount?

Although my fine motor skills are not quite what they were even a decade ago they are still pretty good, and I still have a large collection of jeweller's tools (not many of us have 0-80, 1-72, and 2-58 dies and taps). Since I am retired I have lots of time to play with and little money, so if I can swap mounts it is a task that I am not averse to.

05-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it a fixed lens mount? Because Tokina made that lens with the TX mount...maybe T4 too...

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-10-2019 at 09:47 AM.
05-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure what is meant by a "fixed lens mount." Is that a mount that is (more or less) permanently attached to the lens, as opposed to one that, say, can easily be removed by hand? This one appears to be attached by three small machine screws, maybe 2-58, maybe smaller.
05-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

Your chances of finding a working copy in K-mount are probably greater than finding a broken donor copy.

If you look at the service/parts diagrams for Kiron lenses it's not a simple matter of just changing the rear mount - you have to change the entire diaphragm assembly as well. For one thing placement of the linkages are different and second the setting for min to max apertures are reversed between FD and K-mount.

Page 6

Kino Precision (Kiron) lenses were sold under many brand names including Vivitar.

05-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just searching eBay you can find many 75-260/4.5 lenses sold by many resellers. Vivitar, Soligor, Sears etc. I'm pretty sure they were all made by Tokina. Frankly it's not worth trying to convert from one mount to another. There are 2 Soligor, 1 Sears, and 1 Asanuma currently on eBay for less than $40, all in PK mount.

The lens was sold in TX mount by Vivitar, and probably in T4 by Soligor. These were universal lens mounts and could be adapted to many different lens mounts with the proper adapter. TX had a PK mount adapter, but T4 only had a M42 adapter. There is a TX mount Vivitar listed on eBay for like $35, but the shipping from Japan is also $35...
05-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Look for a lever next to the mount labeled O-L (open-lock). Tokina had a system designed to allow the mounts to be changed called T4 and then updated to the TX system. If you're lucky you can just unlock the Canon mount and exchange it for a K or M42 mount. Otherwise, the internal mechanisms are different and would not allow the change from Canon to Pentax. I don't have first hand experience but I have heard Nikon is close enough to allow the mount to be changed but the flange distance is different so it requires adding spacers to keep focus at infinity.
05-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggson Quote
Look for a lever next to the mount labeled O-L (open-lock).
I don't have that so it looks like this lens is stuck with the Canon mount.

It looks like my best bet for experimenting with this lens is to buy one with a K mount and sell this one. I may just sell it and save up for a late-model macro lens for my K-70.
05-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I don't have that so it looks like this lens is stuck with the Canon mount.
It appears that way. This is what the previous posters referred to as a fixed mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
It looks like my best bet for experimenting with this lens is to buy one with a K mount and sell this one. I may just sell it and save up for a late-model macro lens for my K-70.
Don't expect too much as the lens isn't particularly valuable. I see them on shopgoodwill regularly with a starting point of $10. There's one listed now with a Nikon F mount at that point with no bids yet. My copy is from Vivitar and I gave $8 for it.
On the other hand the close focus series lenses generally get good reviews so they tend to perform better than the price might lead one to expect.