Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
. . . I usually just drop all camera gear in a normal small backpack together with other items and so I don't want it all to be too large and heavy.

Obviously it is all about personal preferences and circumstances.
and the ability to make a decision on what to carry and use

" well, I might use it, and if I don't start using it, she may wonder why I spent the money to buy it and why I need to buy something else if I don't use what I got already "

indecision can cause you to take extra unnecessary equipment if you are like me

as I said earlier, I think your choices are fine.

Have fun

05-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel in my case alway's revolves around hiking and fly fishing. So I only take the Samyang 24mm and the DA*300mm with me. Somethimes I take the FA31mm with me for other opportunities but that one stays behind in te hotel.
05-13-2019, 05:20 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Just documenting some of my thoughts on which lenses to pack for holiday travel.

I pick a three lens kit usually:
  1. Laowa 12mm
    1. Why? because it is tiny for a uwa lens and provides excellent results. I do love one shot landscape Panoramas and often shoot city architecture inside and out where you never can have a short enought focal length. Combined with the K-1's excellent IBIS even dark interior rooms work great, never needing a tripod.
      Pirate Cove 2 | Some 12mm ultra wide angle shots. All done u? | Flickr
      City | Some 12mm ultra wide angle shots. All done using the ? | Flickr
      Düsseldorf Hafenbecken | My own favorite. :-) | Karl Knipser | Flickr
  2. Pentax DFA 24-70
    1. Why? Excellent sharpness and versatility. Mostly I use it at 24mm for surroundings (I dislike very much just having 28mm) or 70mm F2.8 for family portraits. The latter is the reason I would not want to settle for less than F2.8.
  3. Pentax DA 55-300 PLM
    1. Why? Again it is tiny and easy to pack while providing excellent image quality. It pretty much only use it at 300mm for animals. Here it is an absolute non-issue to crop a little in post as the 300mm usually are not long enough anyway.
      Wiedehopf (Upupa epops) | Beim Wandern im Baum gesehen | Flickr
The whole set of three lenses and camera still fit into the tiny hotel safes (think shoe box) you often find. And obviously 12-300mm covers most of everything.
Interesting--you choose an array to cover the focal length spectrum, I focus on shooting circumstances. My three:
Walk-aound day: Pentax 18-135mm. Obviously, could be wider, could be longer, but this covers the vast majority of shots in a WR package.
Walk around night: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. Switch to this in the evening for the extra speed. Find I don't need to shoot >50mm at night anyway.
Always in coat pocket: Sigma 30mm f/1.4. For dim museums, interiors, when speed matters more than focal length flexibility.
traveler

Last edited by bob5050; 05-13-2019 at 07:36 PM.