Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How to fix bent contact on DA 300

Hello,
This DA 300mm is new, and I have only used it once. I can't imagine doing this, since I am very careful attaching lenses to my camera. But, when it wouldn't focus today, I cleaned the contacts, and noticed this. Should I bend it back? Does it break easy? Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by TerryL; 10-18-2019 at 06:29 PM.
05-12-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While the DA*300mm is a great lens, I feel this is a weak point in the design. You would think that the contacts would at least be bonded into place, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Since it is a prime lens you will likely be attaching it or removing it relatively frequently, and on occasion the contacts can get bent. In the past I have had a broken contact and had to have it repaired. I understand that you can get the required parts and do it yourself if you feel confident in doing that.
A few weeks ago I bent one of my contacts in the same way as yours and I gently eased it back into place with a pair of tweezers. So far it's OK but I'm concerned that it will have been weakened. I suggest that you try easing it back, but it could well break, necessitating a repair.
05-12-2019, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
While the DA*300mm is a great lens, I feel this is a weak point in the design. You would think that the contacts would at least be bonded into place, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I agree. I had the same problem as OP and managed to bend it back, but it was a little bit proud ( not bonded ) and promptly broke off. I tried to replace the copper strip, but it was integrated with the module. Since sending and receiving stuff cross border here is a financial nightmare ( you have to export, import pay export/import taxes etc) I contacted the camera repair shop in Cape Town that have the Pentax agency for repairs and they sent me the module for something like 20 USD after two weeks.It was actually quite easy to replace by removing the two philips screws and the lens is perfect again. The other Pentax lens ( 18-135 ) has the same contacts and I wonder whether was an over enthusiastic lens change or the longish lever from the 300mm that made it easier to damage
05-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Since it is a prime lens you will likely be attaching it or removing it relatively frequently, and on occasion the contacts can get bent. In the past I have had a broken contact and had to have it repaired. I understand that you can get the required parts and do it yourself if you feel confident in doing that.
A few weeks ago I bent one of my contacts in the same way as yours and I gently eased it back into place with a pair of tweezers. So far it's OK but I'm concerned that it will have been weakened. I suggest that you try easing it back, but it could well break, necessitating a repair.
Well, that's exactly what I did. My Son, who has steady hands and better eyesight, did it for me.

---------- Post added 05-12-19 at 02:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I agree. I had the same problem as OP and managed to bend it back, but it was a little bit proud ( not bonded ) and promptly broke off. I tried to replace the copper strip, but it was integrated with the module. Since sending and receiving stuff cross border here is a financial nightmare ( you have to export, import pay export/import taxes etc) I contacted the camera repair shop in Cape Town that have the Pentax agency for repairs and they sent me the module for something like 20 USD after two weeks.It was actually quite easy to replace by removing the two philips screws and the lens is perfect again. The other Pentax lens ( 18-135 ) has the same contacts and I wonder whether was an over enthusiastic lens change or the longish lever from the 300mm that made it easier to damage
How does that happen, in the first place, so I will know what to avoid?

Last edited by TerryL; 05-12-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling
05-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I did anything out of he ordinary, but it was in the back of a moving vehicle with a shot begging, so maybe a bit frantic, but then no focus after changing to the DA 300. I try to do it slower but am actually considering getting a spare focus strip module, since my 18-135, DA 300 and 1.4 TC use the same contact points and if it happened once.....
05-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Tamrac belt and Peak Design clip to secure the lens with the camera attached, with spare lenses in a pouch also hanging from the belt. To attach/remove the TC or a shorter lens I detach the camera from the DA300 and leave the lens attached to the belt. I think I have my lens changes down to a fine art but maybe sometimes it's a bit awkward.
05-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the same thing with my 18-135. That part seems to be universal for that age of lens. I'm not good with careful assembly and re-assembly, but that part is a piece of cake.

05-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think I did anything out of he ordinary, but it was in the back of a moving vehicle with a shot begging, so maybe a bit frantic, but then no focus after changing to the DA 300. I try to do it slower but am actually considering getting a spare focus strip module, since my 18-135, DA 300 and 1.4 TC use the same contact points and if it happened once.....
I would like to get a spare, too. Where do you get them?

---------- Post added 05-13-19 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I did the same thing with my 18-135. That part seems to be universal for that age of lens. I'm not good with careful assembly and re-assembly, but that part is a piece of cake.
Hi Norman,
Do you know where I can buy a spare?
05-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I would like to get a spare, too. Where do you get them?

---------- Post added 05-13-19 at 07:50 AM ----------

Hi Norman,
Do you know where I can buy a spare?
Sun Camera north of Toronto sent me one. The official Pentax repair depot in Canada, whether or not they'd send one the U.S. I have no idea.
info@suncameraservice.ca
05-15-2019, 03:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the posts on this thread, really useful information. I immediately examined my DA 300 and fortunately found the two contacts to be undamaged. I wasn't aware of this potential problem before and will now be extra careful when mounting and dismounting this lens.
05-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sun Camera north of Toronto sent me one. The official Pentax repair depot in Canada, whether or not they'd send one the U.S. I have no idea.
info@suncameraservice.ca
I spoke to Sun Camera yesterday and they said the part is on back order and won't be available for a few weeks. Not in time for a trip I have coming up, so I hope the old contacts hold. I'll take my old DA 55-300 just in case.