Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Focus collar on DFA 100mm f2.8 macro

Ok, I just got this lens today, and it does one thing weird that I've never felt a lens do before. I'm just wondering if this is normal - the focusing collar will continue past where the focusing stops, in both directions. It just keeps going, even though the lens is at minimum or infinity.

10-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #2

I don't have that lens but it could be similiar to the DA 14mm I used to have where the focus ring would keep turning either way but would get somewhat stiff once it passed the minimum and infinity focusing distances.
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If the lens has been designed so that the focusing ring doesn't turn when focusing, then you will be able to manual turn the ring a full 360 degrees. As sharko said, this is the case on the DA 14 and it wouldn't surprise me to find this to be the case on a macro lens (because of how far the ring would travel).
10-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
Ok, I just got this lens today, and it does one thing weird that I've never felt a lens do before. I'm just wondering if this is normal - the focusing collar will continue past where the focusing stops, in both directions. It just keeps going, even though the lens is at minimum or infinity.
Nothing weird about your lens. It's called Quick Shift. It allows you to override the AF by focusing manually. This feature is present in all DA and DFA lenses.

10-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Aha, I didn't even notice, but like Clawhammer says above, the manual focus ring does not turn while the camera is focusing the lens. So now I understand why this happens. My DA pancakes don't function this way.