Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d take the K-1. I traveled to Spain once with the 645D and shot with a monopod or hand-held rather than take my much smaller K-5. I try to get the best possible images for exhibition printing when I photograph, home or abroad. Your perspective may vary, especially if you only post to the Web.

05-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Travel as light as you can...
05-16-2019, 01:56 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second the idea of getting the D FA 28-105 for use on the K-1. You may not even need a flash much with the amazing higher ISO performance.
05-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have a K-1 so I won't buy into that choice. But regarding the flash - I don't think high-ISO is necessarily a substitute for a flash for indoors and low-light. But the AF540FGZ II with 4 x AA batteries is an extra 500g and a lot of bulk. I've got a Metz 58 AF-1 which is similar in size and weight. It's a beast to carry plus a lot of heft mounted to the camera. I now also have a lightweight Godox TT350P which is much smaller and lighter and runs on 2 AAs. Less powerful, but generally still adequate. Tilt and swivel head too. I use it with a Godox X-ProP for off camera, and that's also quite travel-friendly. The Metz M400 would be a similar option, although more expensive.

I'd be thinking about how to diffuse the flash for portraits too, without taking bulky modifiers. Two simple options for on-camera: (1) bounce the flash pointed up and behind you or (2) use a flag (e.g Black foamie thing) for directional bounce. If this is new to you, check out Neil van Niekerk's videos.
(This second one is a test of various modifiers, but it shows how effective bounce without modifiers can be.)

05-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have travelled overseas with a K-1 only, KP only, and with both. It really depends on what the trip is all about. The first involved shooting a casual wedding for a friend, the second was mainly urban walk-arounds in very hot weather, and the third was a once-in-a-lifetime wildlife/landscape trip to Antarctica.

For your trip I don't think it matters much - you'll get great shots either way. In the heat and hustle-bustle of India I would lean towards a smaller kit though. Your K-3 is still a very fine camera, and the DA55-300 is perfectly capable for the relatively rare times you'll want to go really long. The 17-70 will get 90% of the duties I suspect. Something properly wide would also be great - is the Sigma 10-20 the larger fixed or the variable aperture version? I'd lean towards a small prime like the DA15 Limited, or the DA10-17 Fisheye Zoom as a more compact option.

On the other hand, the K-1 and DFA24-70 is a fantastic basis for travel. I would match it with the DA55-300, and resign yourself to cropping as appropriate rather than lugging the 70-200/2.8. The same applies to the DFA15-30 - I've done it, but it's a major weight on the shoulders when you're carrying it around London for a day on foot.

Either way, I'd also try to make room for the Sigma Art. You won't want to carry it every day, but for those indoor family events the wide aperture and superb image quality would be invaluable.