Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #31
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,390
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
We do have fibre, just slow to roll out, my village/suburb is finally getting it currently, the town is a mess with men working on the curbs all around the place haha. Soon! Soon!

I'll try and pay more attention and read the reviews better, I am a manchild, I need pictures

Ah, well... the review seems to knock the sharpness down a bit... like it's not that good? Thus far (and even on the K-1) I am not at all feeling that vibe... HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr
You do have to expect that sometimes you won't understand why you like a lens. I'm like that with the DA 21 ltd. I don't know why I like it but I do. Tests doen't explain why,

05-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,539
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm still trying to understand how centre resolution at 20mm and 30mm actually decreases as aperture narrows from wide open. Stopping down to f4 and f5.6 actually decreases resolution?
It's not impossible.

If the rays of light passing through the very edge of the aperture (the donut ring covered by stopping down from f/4 to f/5.6) focus to the same place as the rays in the very center of the aperture (say f/8 and smaller) but the rays in the middle ring of the aperture(the donut ring covered by stopping down from f/5.6 to f/8) focus at a different distance, then f/4 will be sharper.

This can happen if the lens designer makes a simple correction for spherical aberration that leaves a higher-order aberration pattern.
05-17-2019, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,406
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do have to expect that sometimes you won't understand why you like a lens. I'm like that with the DA 21 ltd. I don't know why I like it but I do. Tests doen't explain why,
How would you measure and quantify ‘pixie dust’ anyway? Grams per line inch? Pentax seems to have figured out how to add it to all of the limiteds thankfully, so someone has it figured out on their design team.

As far as sharpness, I get more than I need from my copy. Flickr's jpeg compression on the other hand...


Last edited by skierd; 05-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
05-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #34
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,739
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ah, well... the review seems to knock the sharpness down a bit... like it's not that good? Thus far (and even on the K-1) I am not at all feeling that vibe...
I haven't done anything more than casual test shots with that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm like that with the DA 21 ltd. I don't know why I like it but I do
It is, literally, the only single lens for which I have not found an equivalent on full frame. The 31 would be the obvious choice but didn't do it for me. The FA 20-35 is currently the replacement and it's a fine lens, it just doesn't have the same magic that the 21 had.

05-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,905
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I haven't done anything more than casual test shots with that lens.



It is, literally, the only single lens for which I have not found an equivalent on full frame. The 31 would be the obvious choice but didn't do it for me. The FA 20-35 is currently the replacement and it's a fine lens, it just doesn't have the same magic that the 21 had.
I’m a big fan of the DA21 Limited (and the DA70). How about K28/3.5? It’s sort of close, and the images make me look better than I am.
05-17-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,299
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
a higher-order aberration pattern
I knew someone here would know the answer. Thanks for the explanation, I doubt if I could recognize even lower order aberration patterns without a guide, but does this have anything to do with the Third Law of Thermodynamics and the evolution vs. intelligent design debate?
05-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #37
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,739
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m a big fan of the DA21 Limited (and the DA70). How about K28/3.5? It’s sort of close, and the images make me look better than I am.
I'd rather have an AF lens. The colors, low aberrations and more importantly starbursts created by the 21 are legendary (to me at least). The 20-35 adds convenience of a short zoo, does produce nice starbursts, it's lacking (in comparison) regarding colors and aberrations only. Not bad, just not as good.

The FA* 24 seems to be a nice contender also. Maybe it would be a better choice.
05-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,926
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd rather have an AF lens. The colors, low aberrations and more importantly starbursts created by the 21 are legendary (to me at least). The 20-35 adds convenience of a short zoo, does produce nice starbursts, it's lacking (in comparison) regarding colors and aberrations only. Not bad, just not as good.

The FA* 24 seems to be a nice contender also. Maybe it would be a better choice.
F28 is nice. I far prefer it to the HD DA 21 I had on the KP. I think I'll eventually pick up a DA 15 however, seeing as that's just outside of the DA20-40 range, but I want the green DA 15, not the HD version.

05-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 59
i'm planning to buy 20-40
i really not expect prime limited quality, and even luxury high end DA*

but at least if the len is better than 18-55, 18-135 and maybe on par (or even slightly better?!) to 16-85 (of course, at range 20-40 for comparison)

i would happy to embrace it, my most shooting purpose is landscape and people (event, wedding, familiy)
05-20-2019, 02:13 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,926
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
i'm planning to buy 20-40
i really not expect prime limited quality, and even luxury high end DA*

but at least if the len is better than 18-55, 18-135 and maybe on par (or even slightly better?!) to 16-85 (of course, at range 20-40 for comparison)

i would happy to embrace it, my most shooting purpose is landscape and people (event, wedding, familiy)
Well there's primes and then there's primes. Some are good, some not so good. The HD DA 20-40 is the first 'real' zoom i've ever owned, until a week ago I was pretty much a prime guy only. I'm sufficiently impressed enough that I'll be holding onto this one (and I let the HD DA 15, HD DA 21 and HD DA 35/2.8 Macro go), hopefully that should tell you something. Is it on par with a FA43 or FA77? Well no... it's not quite managing some of those feats, however in other regards in bests them (WR and flare resistance, which is what I was after). I can understand now why it is called the 'zoom prime', I think this is quite a fair nickname. I would not at all be surprised if this is quite simply the highest quality compact zoom lens Pentax has to offer. My choice was narrowed down to this or the 28-105, but I think I made the right choice.

You make check out some of my early test shots on the K-1 here >>> HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr
05-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #41
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 59
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Well there's primes and then there's primes. Some are good, some not so good. The HD DA 20-40 is the first 'real' zoom i've ever owned, until a week ago I was pretty much a prime guy only. I'm sufficiently impressed enough that I'll be holding onto this one (and I let the HD DA 15, HD DA 21 and HD DA 35/2.8 Macro go), hopefully that should tell you something. Is it on par with a FA43 or FA77? Well no... it's not quite managing some of those feats, however in other regards in bests them (WR and flare resistance, which is what I was after). I can understand now why it is called the 'zoom prime', I think this is quite a fair nickname. I would not at all be surprised if this is quite simply the highest quality compact zoom lens Pentax has to offer. My choice was narrowed down to this or the 28-105, but I think I made the right choice.
so overall, 20-40 is sharp...in zoom realm

i made my decision now!
05-20-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,406
It’s hands down better than the 18-55 kit lenses, in every possible way except price. In the equivalent range I also think it’s a better lens than the 18-135 I started with.

I had the DA21mm and the DA40mm Limiteds, green rings, and I replaced them both with the 20-40 with 0 regrets except maybe for overall size. The convenience of not switching lenses makes up for it as I often find myself wishing for a “kinda wide” and a “kinda telephoto” lens and would otherwise be constantly switching. I also tried the DA35mm limited but it couldn’t find a home in my bag either.

Sharp? It’s sharp enough that I never find myself wishing I was able to capture more fine detail in my subjects so long as my shutter speeds are high enough. It’s also a very wonderful lens for portraits.
05-21-2019, 12:05 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,926
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
It’s hands down better than the 18-55 kit lenses, in every possible way except price. In the equivalent range I also think it’s a better lens than the 18-135 I started with.

I had the DA21mm and the DA40mm Limiteds, green rings, and I replaced them both with the 20-40 with 0 regrets except maybe for overall size. The convenience of not switching lenses makes up for it as I often find myself wishing for a “kinda wide” and a “kinda telephoto” lens and would otherwise be constantly switching. I also tried the DA35mm limited but it couldn’t find a home in my bag either.

Sharp? It’s sharp enough that I never find myself wishing I was able to capture more fine detail in my subjects so long as my shutter speeds are high enough. It’s also a very wonderful lens for portraits.
I'm really starting to like what this lens is doing on the K-1, since owning it for a week or more I haven't even taken it off the K-1 to see how it's really holding up in it's proper place, hehe.

Couple more taken from today on the K-1, FF mode of course;



05-21-2019, 05:00 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,739
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
F28 is nice. I far prefer it to the HD DA 21 I had on the KP. I think I'll eventually pick up a DA 15 however, seeing as that's just outside of the DA20-40 range, but I want the green DA 15, not the HD version.
Can the F28 do this? That's my main purpose:



05-21-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,390
People claim to be prime guys or zoom guys or whatever. Most can't tell the difference from the images. Most don't even prefer the images.
35mm find that prime. - PentaxForums.com

For the 22% or so who actually prefer the images taken by the prime in this poll, their choice is hardly universal. 1 out of 5 prefer the prime, it's one out of 7 lenses, it's 5% better than random choice.

Last edited by normhead; 05-21-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, 30mm, 40mm, bars, call to hd, centre, da, edge, ephotozine, ephotozine mtf tests, f4, f5.6, f8, hd, hd da, k-mount, ltd, pentax lens, performance, sharpness, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: PRICES REDUCED. DA 20-40 limited, DA 18-135, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 mills Sold Items 3 03-27-2019 07:41 AM
For Sale - Sold: DA and HD DA Primes: DA 50 1.8, DA XS 40mm, HD DA 35mm, DA 21mm, HD DA 15mm Amarony Sold Items 8 02-20-2019 06:21 AM
HD 20-40 or HD 21 & HD 35 macro BarryE Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 09-03-2017 06:05 AM
Pentax HD DA 16-85mm review by Photozone and Ephotozine: highly recommended! Vemobydam Pentax News and Rumors 10 05-30-2015 09:22 AM
DxOMark tests the DA 20-40 rawr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 02-20-2014 04:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top