Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2019, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Can the F28 do this? That's my main purpose:

Yeah I haven't had my 28 out in urban night shots yet, I don't get that kinda surroundings easily. With Sydney's Vivid around the corner I suspect I'll get that opportunity soon. Hence why I I think the DA 15 (non HD) would make a great addition to my set, at least for the KP. I am yet to put the 20-40 @ 23mm and upwards through it's proper testing on the K-1 in urban settings, but I will. But with rounded aperture blades I'm sure it will disappoint. The issue with 28mm is it's perhaps still not quite wide enough for FF star shots.

The only other lens I am considering really is an Irix, purely for K-1 and for the WR aspect. HD 20-40 on the K-1 has proven to be quite good, and perhaps an Irix for something wider if need be, I'm just not sure how the star bursts are on Irix...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
People claim to be prime guys or zoom guys or whatever. Most can't tell the difference from the images. Most don't even prefer the images.
35mm find that prime. - PentaxForums.com

For the 22% or so who actually prefer the images taken by the prime in this poll, their choice is hardly universal. 1 out of 5 prefer the prime, it's one out of 7 lenses, it's 5% better than random choice.
That's a good point. I'm a prime guy because I am impatient, I want a lens and can afford $500 and so I buy it, and then I save for another, and another etc. I'm too impatient to save for $2k for a quality zoom

But... I also found things simpler to learn from using a prime, the only ring to adjust on the lens is the focus, and i move my feet around more for framing etc, perhaps I learned to compose better with my prime only experience? <shrugs>

Most of all however is I am a bokeh/DoF junkie, I love shooting wide open, f2.8 often disappoints, and then for awhile I was shooting concerts and gigs and definitely appreciated the fast lens.

Quality wise I am in agreement, I have seen crazy high quality shots from the 24-70, I really don't think of a Prime as being higher IQ than a zoom, they are just priced differently and have different pros and cons;

Pro for Zooms

- no need for moving so much, change composition from same stance
- no need to lens swap so much
- more zooms seem to be WR

Cons for Zooms

- Price often high
- f2.8 is typically fastest they get
- heavier/larger on the camera

Pros for Primes

- lighter, smaller, more compact
- Faster apertures
- price is often lower, for example if you want a 40mm length you could buy a DA 40 instead of a 24-70

Cons for primes

- lens swapping (possibly missing moments due to swap)
- physically moving and possibly compromising framing due to running out of backing up room etc
- typically need to carry multiple primes to cover enough focal range for certain events (for example I might carry a F28, FA43, FA77 and Tak 135 for an event).
- Multiple lens pouches for carrying around (can look ridiculous haha!)

Nowhere would I personally say IQ is better for a prime.

05-21-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't done anything more than casual test shots with that lens.

It is, literally, the only single lens for which I have not found an equivalent on full frame. The 31 would be the obvious choice but didn't do it for me. The FA 20-35 is currently the replacement and it's a fine lens, it just doesn't have the same magic that the 21 had.
The 31 on the k1 was one of the few reasons I almost kept the k1 I borrowed. I'm surprised it didn't click for you.
05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 31 on the k1 was one of the few reasons I almost kept the k1 I borrowed. I'm surprised it didn't click for you.
Sometimes I think it can take a long time to 'click' with a lens. Much practice can be needed to find where it's strengths lie and exploit them, how to compose it, when is a good time to stop down, and so on so forth.

I'm a little like that with music, there are artists I adore now but snubbed way back, it's actually mind boggling to me now that I was like that about x, y and z band artists... but there you go. I wonder bdery would gravitate towards the 31 again now, or in the future, different times/circumstances can change a lot of how we perceive things and utilise them.
05-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Sometimes I think it can take a long time to 'click' with a lens. Much practice can be needed to find where it's strengths lie and exploit them, how to compose it, when is a good time to stop down, and so on so forth.

I'm a little like that with music, there are artists I adore now but snubbed way back, it's actually mind boggling to me now that I was like that about x, y and z band artists... but there you go. I wonder bdery would gravitate towards the 31 again now, or in the future, different times/circumstances can change a lot of how we perceive things and utilise them.

I can identify with that also. Good point.

05-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I haven't had my 28 out in urban night shots yet, I don't get that kinda surroundings easily.
Please feel free to keep me updated on this. Even street lamps will show the starbursts.

the bridge image I shared was shot at F4, I believe. If I can get nice starbursts below F8, I'll be happy. The FA20-35 is actually quite good for this, there's some Pf and lack of contrast (when compared to the DA21) that I can't help noticing.

The only other lens I am considering really is an Irix, purely for K-1 and for the WR aspect. HD 20-40 on the K-1 has proven to be quite good, and perhaps an Irix for something wider if need be, I'm just not sure how the star bursts are on Irix...
See the reviews I made you'll see how they behave for starbursts.

Optically, it clicked all right. It's the focal length that I don't enjoy. I find it too tight for wide, and not wide enough for normal. If it was a 20, 24 or 28, I'd still own it.

I wonder bdery would gravitate towards the 31 again now, or in the future, different times/circumstances can change a lot of how we perceive things and utilise them.
Possibly, but I'm not holding my breath. What annoys me with the recent lenses is the tendency to always use curved aperture blades. Fine for a zoom, but for an "artistic" prime, I'd rather not have them.
05-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Optically, it clicked all right. It's the focal length that I don't enjoy. I find it too tight for wide, and not wide enough for normal. If it was a 20, 24 or 28, I'd still own it.
That is strange. The DA 21 on crop has APS-C: 68 / 59 coverage. The FA 31 on FF is only 1 degree narrower, Full frame: 70 / 60 . But the eye is pleased with what it likes best.

Have you tried the FA 28?
05-22-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is strange. The DA 21 on crop has APS-C: 68 / 59 coverage. The FA 31 on FF is only 1 degree narrower, Full frame: 70 / 60 . But the eye is pleased with what it likes best.

Have you tried the FA 28?
FF has given me a desire for wider fields of view. You are correct that the 21 on APS-C is comparable to the 31 on FF.

The FA28 is a fine lens, optically I found it close to the DA21. It was average for starbursts however. I decided not to keep it.

A comparison between the DA21 LTD and FA28 (with pics!). Mainly for starbursts - PentaxForums.com

The FA24 is the one lens still nagging me, it might be the lens I'm looking for. I've grown to like the 20mm FF FOV, but could certainly live without it.
05-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Please feel free to keep me updated on this. Even street lamps will show the starbursts.

the bridge image I shared was shot at F4, I believe. If I can get nice starbursts below F8, I'll be happy. The FA20-35 is actually quite good for this, there's some Pf and lack of contrast (when compared to the DA21) that I can't help noticing.

See the reviews I made you'll see how they behave for starbursts.

Possibly, but I'm not holding my breath. What annoys me with the recent lenses is the tendency to always use curved aperture blades. Fine for a zoom, but for an "artistic" prime, I'd rather not have them.
I'll do an urban highway shot for you soon with the F28, promise xx (street lamps a plenty).

05-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF has given me a desire for wider fields of view. You are correct that the 21 on APS-C is comparable to the 31 on FF.

The FA28 is a fine lens, optically I found it close to the DA21. It was average for starbursts however. I decided not to keep it.

A comparison between the DA21 LTD and FA28 (with pics!). Mainly for starbursts - PentaxForums.com

The FA24 is the one lens still nagging me, it might be the lens I'm looking for. I've grown to like the 20mm FF FOV, but could certainly live without it.
That makes sense.