Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soligor 135mm f/2 with minolta mount.

This guy offered to send me a minolta 135mm f/2, so I said OK. What arrived was a dirty, free, partly disassembled Soligor 135mm f/2 with a minolta mount that looks like it is in good shape after cleaning the front and back lens. The aperture is not stuck. I have not studied the spring or the bent tab.

In anticipation of a minolta lens, I ordered a $40 min to pentax K adapter with a built in (1.4x) lens for infinity focus on my Pentax K-1. Assume that I know nothing about this subject.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

05-17-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that looks to be a "P" lens, which were made by Tokina and rebadged as Soligor lenses...
05-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #3

Be aware there will be some loss of image quality due to the added optical element.

Otherwise straightening the lever should not be much of a problem. If you are not planning on using the lens on a Minolta body consider leaving it off as long as you can still set the aperture with the ring.

Bone up on metering and using non-A type manual focus lenses and have fun with your "free" lens.

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses - PentaxForums.com
05-17-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Be aware there will be some loss of image quality due to the added optical element.

Otherwise straightening the lever should not be much of a problem. If you are not planning on using the lens on a Minolta body consider leaving it off as long as you can still set the aperture with the ring.

Bone up on metering and using non-A type manual focus lenses and have fun with your "free" lens.

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses - PentaxForums.com
Thanks Not a Number. Is it possible to remove the Pentax K mount from the adapter and simply replace the minolta mount with the K mount? Or would that require some cutting, etc.?

05-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

It would be tricky. The Minolta flange distance is shorter than that for Pentax. You would probably have to cut the adapter down so it is thinner than the Minolta flange. Or you'd have to grind down the rear end of the lens. It depends much on the size of the opening on the adapter for the rear elements. And how much material would be left after cutting down for distance.

You could buy a glass-less adapter for macro work which has a larger opening.
05-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or you could get a cheap used mirrorless camera with an MD adapter. No lens element needed for infinity focus. My suggestion is a Samsung NX100. I have one. In good light it is pretty good. In low light IQ suffers but all APS-C cameras of its generation has the same issue. It should be cheap. It is a long dead camera from a dead brand, after all. It it develops a problem it turns into a paper weight. Sadly, internet sellers rarely agree with me on this point.
05-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The adapter arrived. Now I have to find some screws to attach the minolta mount to the Soligor. I have no idea which screws will work.

05-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look at the thickness of the Minolta mount, I would bet if you begin with a flanged Pentax M42 -PK adaptor you would get to the right registration distance. Remember third party makers had to accept any mount op to Nikon which has a larger registration distance than Pentax.

My bet is someone tried to do. A mount conversion, that’s why the lens is in pieces .
05-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #9

You may want to look at this thread:

Konica, Minolta, etc. mount to Pentax K - How to save the old lenses - PentaxForums.com

The C/D (Computer Designed) lenses were Soligor's "premium" lenses in their time. However, IMO even so it may not be worth the time and effort to convert the mount.
05-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do not have the tools or skill to convert the mount. If I find the screws that I need and it works with the adapter, I will post photos.