Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, for serious LBA sufferers there is now a Revunon 55/1.2 up on eBay for a mere $548 BIN! Out of Luxemburg.....those folks must have buck............

10-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi guys, check this out. Pentax 55mm f/1.2 (1:1.2) Cosina (Cosinon) - eBay (item 160290778723 end time Oct-13-08 12:37:34 PDT)

If I did not already have one, I would be all over this...
10-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd get one if I hadn't just blown a bundle on new gear recently. Maybe there will be one left next month somewhere. Less than half the cost of the Pentax A version. Seems a steal.
10-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
But before that Cosina quality was not always the best. My guess is that this model lens dates to that earlier period.
Chris, I beg to disagree. The 55/1.2 is a great lens with nice bokeh. It is also the sharpest lens I know at F/1.2.

A few more pictures taken with this lens (all wide open, except the last one):

Cheers!

Abbazz

10-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This is going to drive me nuts. Looks like an excellent lens.
10-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For about the last ten years, since the debut of their Voigtlander RF cameras, Cosina has made consistently top quality gear.
But before that Cosina quality was not always the best. My guess is that this model lens dates to that earlier period.

Chris
I just bought this new-in-box Cosina 100mm 3.5 macro lens that works like a charm. Dunno where to categorize this one (crap Cosina or good Cosina), since the build is cheap plastic, but the optics are excellent.

I also have money tied to other purchases, so I'll have to hold off on the 55 1.2 dream for now.
10-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Arrival......

So the 1.2 came today; as advertised, NIB, tho the 'B' is nondescript - no markings whatever. The lens is all metal, nine-bladed ap., and shows no sign of use. The focus ring has a rubber or plastic covering, serial #84050248. Not bad for $170...........

Attached Images

10-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

John,
When u get a moment to break it in, post up some images.. Would love to see what she does in your hands.
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
...with individual lenses selling for 30-50 dollars
Tisk tisk, tell the man how deep the rabbit hole REALLY goes...LOL!

I recently picked up 2 cherry lenses for a dollar at a garage sale. Vast collection indeed, I can't pass a photo store without gawking!
10-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

here's another Pentax 55mm f/1.2 (1:1.2, f1.2) Cosina (Cosinon) - eBay (item 160291082779 end time Oct-14-08 17:03:26 PDT)
10-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi folks, With all the Cosina talk going around cyber world, I decided to take mine out for a test spin....All these I shot at work..Sorry my subjects are boring, but I am surrounded by engines, parts and machines....I will admit that it is a difficult lens to use ''initially'' especially with the K1OOD super...Once I figured it out, I must say that it is one of the sharpest lenses I have...This lens at F/2.0 IS NO JOKE....@ F/1.2 there is little room for error....These are all JPEGS straight from the box with some minor cropping and resizing..Other wise no PP work done....

First up is my baby.....

A close up of the front of this monster....

This spark plug I shot wide open @F/1.2...Talk about bokeh..Wait till I get my hands on some flowers or bugs...

This is one of my Fish. I usually have a hard time shooting fish, but with this lens, it was easy. This I shot @F/1.2 and focused on her snout...

These next two I shot @F/2.0...The detail is stunning..usually I struggle in this room because it has florecent lights in covers and since I do not shoot raw, I often struggle with white balance..With this cosina, I was pretty much ready to go...

10-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Those are good looking shots Javier. Between your shots and Abbazz, this seems like an excellent performer. Not bad at 1.2 and very sharp at f2. The fish is impressive at wide open also considering the lens had to shoot through glass.

There seemed to be a bunch of them on Ebay a few weeks ago, I can only see one now. I hope there's still some left at the end of the month ($$$ required). I can see this being an important part of my wedding kit for those beautiful dark churches.
10-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter,
Here are a few more.. aLL shot with K100D super...
I took a trip to the Local cemetery where General Pattons folks and grand folks went to church. This is a cool quiet place. They do not do burials there any longer as it is a historical landmark now. None the less, it is a few blocks from my home....On a side note, I have a sneaky feeling that this lens is going to kick ass on my ME SUPER....

General patton with flash @F/5.6

A cross with flash @F/4.0

A red faded plastic rose shot with flash in pitch black. I basically jest set the lens at infinity, backed up and guessed where it was at. This took me about ten tries, but I git it and cropped it....Not bad @F/2.8
10-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Here is one more from today. Shot wide open @ F1.2 and appx 10 feet away...I am really struggling with the manual focus as my eyes are not good any more, so I basically focus shoot, focus, back up a little, focus move forward a little...That is, i move the focus adjustment, not my body...FOR THOSE WITH GOOD EYE SIGHT and with diopter adjusted right, they will have no problem. I have this problem with all my lenses, which is why I try and shoot at infinity...but i digress....

This Rose looks good and the bokeh, to my fading eyes is pretty good...
10-15-2008, 02:51 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The Rose is excellent Javier. So is the statue. Very nice texture in both shots. The background looks great in the rose image.

Interesting focus technique but maybe for you the K10 or 20 would be easier to work with. The viewfinders are brighter in those cameras. Tough in the pitch black though.