Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Ed in GA

New DA* 16-50s

I'm starting to feel a bit of financial recovery from my recent heavy outlay for medical expenses which, at the time, prompted a sell off of several of my lenses.

I'm just wondering, since I've been out of touch, if the newer offerings by Pentax of the DA* 16-50 have had the centering defect cured?

Or, is it still a crap shoot on getting a good copy?

I see quite a few of them for sale on e-bay.

Wouldn't buying a used one from e-bay be close to insanity?

TIA

Ed

10-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't take the risk unless they have a return policy. Even then you would have to go through some red tape.

MS live is still offering 20% cashback. The deals can get pretty tempting that way...
10-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ed,
If you're OK with used, then check out KEH, as they have 2 used ones for sale. If you get one and don't like it, they're great with returns.
KEH Camera: Pentax Digital - Zoom Lenses - 16-50 F2.8 SMC DA ED AL INTERNAL FOCUS SDM (77) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, DIGITAL SLR ZOOM SUPER WIDE ANGLE LENS

HTH,
Heather
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Ed, sorry to hear you were not well. Hope you're better now and on the way to a full mend.

Heather's suggestion to buy from KEH is a good one. I've been using my 16-50 more and more, and really like the way it handles and works.

10-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buying used is more worth while since there are more rooms for negotiation. At least, you could question all the previous issues surrounding this zoom.

My shares and port folio also crushed as a result of the world economy downfall. So quite tight with the finance too.

I prefer to get everything from used market these days. Most of the camera and lenses are like cars. As soon as you drive a new car out of the car yard, the car depreciates to 70% of the value...
10-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
MS live is still offering 20% cashback. The deals can get pretty tempting that way...
Darn right. You can get a brand new one for $500 this way, with a return policy and full manufacturer's warranty. Don't ask me how I know this.
10-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

If you are concerned about getting a dud, order from Amazon (make sure it's from amazon, not a vendor).

They usually have very competitive prices and they have a very hassle free return policy. If the item is defective, they pay for return shipping, you can do it all online without even picking up the phone. You print out a UPS label and ship it back in the box it came in. You have 30 days to decide if the lens is a dud, plenty of time to run it through it's paces. Basically with Amazon if the lens is no good, you won't loose a penny.

I went through 2 lemons before I got a great copy all from Amazon, it really was easier than going to the store and trying it out.