Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #1

Leitax newbie

Hello everyone,

As a fan of vintage lenses I recently developed an interest in the Leitax way of adapting. Truth to be told, I'm not much of a DYI type of person (as the saying in my country goes, I have two left hands) and while the instructions seem simple, I'm a little afraid of screwing things up. Yes, I know Leitax has an option to send them a lens and let them do the work, but I'd prefer to save money on that...

I'd like to ask people with experience on the matter a few things:

1. What was the most difficult lens you've converted and what exact part of the process was the challenge?
2. Leitax offers an (sort of) auto aperture adapter for Leica R lenses. Does this adapter work as advertised and is it worth the money?
3. On Nikkor->Pentax page, there's a mention that adapter requires some sandpaper work on AI indexing tabs on the lens. Does it mean that for non-AI lenses, adapting is just a matter of replacing one bayonet with the other?
4. As the Pentax FF lineup lacks UWA primes, I was thinking about buying used Carl Zeiss ZF2 15mm/2.8 and adapting it. Did anyone work on that particular lens?
5. Are Yashica ML lenses adaptable in the same way as Contax?
6. Have you encountered some technical issues in when using the lens, like wrong meter readings, focus confirmation dot in the OVF when clearly not in focus (not much of a problem when using LV I guess, but I don't mind relying on the dot for F/2.8 and smaller apertures), infinity focus not quite reached?

Cheers

Last edited by BarneyL; 05-24-2019 at 02:53 AM.
05-24-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have Leitax'ed a Leica R 90/2.8 which was a relatively simple lens to convert and presented none of the issues you are asking about.

The resident expert on this stuff is Fenwoodian, who has converted a heap of lenses, and also offers a service in the USA for lens conversion.

Can I suggest you reach out to him.

Cheers

Ross
05-24-2019, 04:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Leica R Elmarit 60mm 2.8 Macro
Nikon Micro IF AI 200mm F4
Nikon Micro 85mm 2.8D PC

No issue. Be careful with the screw removal. If they break, it is difficult to drill them out. The last one is/was special (needed a new mount) and has been done by David.
05-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

I did a Leitz Canada Elmarit 19mm f/2.8 and use it happily on my K1. The mechanism to open up the iris was a little sluggish returning at first, but after a bit of use, works fine.