Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 16-50 with screwdrive AF, but manual focus doesn’t work

I am interested in an offer of a Pentax 16-50, with broken SDM, however, the owner also mentioned its focusing ring doesn’t work (hence no manual focus and no quick-shift), but the lens has been converted to screwdrive AF and it works fine. Is this possible? If that’s the case, is it worth it? He asks for 120 bucks and from the photos, physical condition looks ok. Thank you for advice :-)

05-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My experience with converted 16-50 is that it allows QS and manual focusing.
05-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello, even with SDM down, it should work manually, can it also zoom freely?
05-30-2019, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

“Danger Will Robinson”. I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 ft pole unless it is free.

05-30-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disagreeing with the previous comment: if the screw drive autofocus works reliably and there aren't optical flaws, $120 seems a fair price for a 16-50. It might be the only lens in my bag that I have never once needed to use manual focus with.
05-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
if the screw drive autofocus works reliably and there aren't optical flaws, $120 seems a fair price for a 16-50. It might be the only lens in my bag that I have never once needed to use manual focus with.
Same here. It seems to be a good price for such a good lens.
05-30-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never seen one that worked that way. The ones that manual focus had failed on have also been unable to autofocus. But that isn't intended to mean that situation is not possible, just uncommon.

Without manual focus, you give up quickshift. You have more need to get focus fine tuning just right. But these aren't deal breakers.

Do you trust the seller? Is there any transaction guarantee?

05-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No I don’t know the seller, plus he live in another city so no possibility to test the lens either. But I can pay him via Paypal so I guess it’s ok in term of safety department. Basically he said he bought the lens used in “dead” state, no SDM, no manual focus, then he converted it to screwdrive and it has been working fine. The zoom ring too. I’m interested in trying it ‘cause I also have a converted 50-135, they can make a good converted pair :-) but problem is I also have a Tamron 17-50, that is decent, but I don’t know why I don’t like it, perhaps I find its rendering bit lacking (I’m a fan of DA limiteds). Do you think the 16-50 can offer something different?
05-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
No I don’t know the seller, plus he live in another city so no possibility to test the lens either. But I can pay him via Paypal so I guess it’s ok in term of safety department. Basically he said he bought the lens used in “dead” state, no SDM, no manual focus, then he converted it to screwdrive and it has been working fine. The zoom ring too. I’m interested in trying it ‘cause I also have a converted 50-135, they can make a good converted pair :-) but problem is I also have a Tamron 17-50, that is decent, but I don’t know why I don’t like it, perhaps I find its rendering bit lacking (I’m a fan of DA limiteds). Do you think the 16-50 can offer something different?
I've never used the K mount version of the 17-50, the only version I've used is Nikon. It seems comparable optically, but the 16-50 feels nicer.
05-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is definitely something fundamentally wrong if you cannot manually focus that lens. With a lens having A,F I do not often employ MF, but I want it there if I need it. Not having MF availability would also mean I must always depend on AF accuracy. How accurate is AF on this lens, which has a disabled MF function?