Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

K Mount D-FA Lenses on Sony A7III anybody?

Hi all,

did some research but I haven't been able to clearly find out.

I'm looking into a Sony A7III as my job requirements are broadening to video, and as much as I love my K1, it just doesn't cut it for professional video shoot.

The thing is, I have a decent set of Pentax and Sigma lenses which I'd really want to use on the Sony body (both for quality, portability and money reasons).

All my lenses have no aperture control, and I understand that all of the adapters I've seen so far are just mechanically matching K mount lenses to the E mount body, but they don't transmit any of the electronics.
So, manual focus is not that issue, but aperture sure is.

Any ideas on whether there is one capable of controlling aperture too?

Thanx

05-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my m43 bodies I have an adapter that has the ability to open and close the aperture lever. This allows infinite adjustment of aperture, but provides no data in exif and makes aperture a bit of guesswork. However, the adaptors could be mated to a few lenses and dedicated to them, then they could be marked with estimated aperture so you would have more repeatable results.

Search for one on Amazon, I found several using these keywords, "Sony Pentax DA Adapter"
05-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say you have a nice collection of Pentax lenses but how many of those would actually be used for video? Just wondering as I do no video, but would it not make sense to get the Sony and a good Sony lens just for video? Keep the K-1 for the rest of the what you do. Or do you need to sell off the K-1 to buy the Sony? Just curious.
05-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

I'm fairly certain that there is not. At least it would require an electrical connection, but the adapters are just spacers.

However, if you prefer to use prime lenses, you can pick up very cheap old manual Pentax prime lenses to use on a A7III, given that it will be manual focus anyhow.

05-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Right so I could see how this would be a solution. Anyone used one with success? Wouldn't work with the DFA* 50 sadly.
05-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

As I understand it, there are mechanical couplers to use Pentax K lenses to the Sony arIII. I too am interested in this...my understanding from my research, is while everything would be manually controlled, but with the D FA lenses, one would not have aperture control and would function only wide open. All other Pentax FA, A, M lenses have manually controlled aperture capabilities. I'd be also interested if anyone has results from using such a set up.
05-30-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I'm looking into a Sony A7III as my job requirements are broadening to video, and as much as I love my K1, it just doesn't cut it for professional video shoot.
Just curious...what kind of things will you be shooting that the K1 can't handle?

05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
As I understand it, there are mechanical couplers to use Pentax K lenses to the Sony arIII. I too am interested in this...my understanding from my research, is while everything would be manually controlled, but with the D FA lenses, one would not have aperture control and would function only wide open.
You should be okay with all the current DFA lenses except the magnificent DFA*50, which IIRC has KAF4 electronic aperture, the others are mechanical. The future DFA*85, DFA*35 or whatever would likely be electronic, too.

The adaptors are usually clickless and the focus only manual, they're undesirable in stills photography but normal in the video world.

Last edited by clackers; 05-30-2019 at 06:05 PM.
05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
Right so I could see how this would be a solution. Anyone used one with success? Wouldn't work with the DFA* 50 sadly.
See my post. I use a version of this on m43. It doesn't suck, it also isn't easy.
05-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
Looks like the one I want. If that has an aperture control ring that's mechanically controlling blades on the lens it should work, albeit not in stops, but there's zebra on the Sony to check exposure and focus peaking, so it should work.
I may give it a try and send it back if that doesn't work with my DFA 24-70 and Sigma lenses.

Thanx

---------- Post added 05-31-19 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Just curious...what kind of things will you be shooting that the K1 can't handle?
If you have ever tried shooting video with the K1 and with a Sony and put them side by side you'd have acknowledged that the K1 footage is just really not up to contemporary quality standards.
The video is soft, limited to full HD at lower FPS, and also the camera lacks some key features, like the focus peaking during shooting, which to me is insane...
I love it for stills, as its features are particularly suited to what I usually shoot, and I'll keep it for sure, but for video you just what something else.
I shoot music videos, so very often in low light conditions, and the Sony has the best performance in low light (video wise).
I tried to do the same with the K1 but to get an usable exposure I had to ramp up the ISO and that gave me some pretty grainy footage.
Comparing it to the razor sharp and noiseless footage of the A7 (even at 6400) just made up my mind in a second.

---------- Post added 05-31-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You say you have a nice collection of Pentax lenses but how many of those would actually be used for video? Just wondering as I do no video, but would it not make sense to get the Sony and a good Sony lens just for video? Keep the K-1 for the rest of the what you do. Or do you need to sell off the K-1 to buy the Sony? Just curious.
I don't have cine lenses, but that's not a big issue for what I do. If the video thing grows, I'll invest in some dedicated glass for the Sony, for the moment the regular photo lenses will do.
As I said, I'll keep both cameras, so the lenses I have will have to make do for the moment. In time I'll understand if the investment for some dedicated Sony lenses will be justified.
Right now is justifying the purchase of a third camera body...
05-31-2019, 05:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I shoot music videos, so very often in low light conditions, and the Sony has the best performance in low light (video wise).
Thanks. The reason I asked is because I'm needing to upgrade my camera body and I need something that can do passable video. I've been using a K-01 and I think it does a great job as long as I keep it within it's wheelhouse, but you're right about the low light stuff. The grain quickly becomes too much. I'm a videographer for a weekly travel show and the K-01 is able to hold its own within the show alongside footage from Canon DSLRs, a Panasonic GH5, and full ENG cameras...but nobody uses a Sony so I don't have much experience with what they can do. I was hoping that maybe the K1 had better video, but it sounds like that's not the case. We're getting ready to upgrade our main cameras and move into the mirrorless world. We flip-flopped between Panasonic and Sony, but finally went with the GH5s. Hopefully we'll be ordering them within the next month or so. Well...actually...we HAVE to order them because our fiscal year ends June 30th.
05-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
See my post. I use a version of this on m43. It doesn't suck, it also isn't easy.
The DFA*50mm doesn't have an aperture lever so how would that work?
I can see it working for stills if you're shooting exclusively at f1.4 and 1/8000s or thereabouts, but not for video.
05-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
The DFA*50mm doesn't have an aperture lever so how would that work?
I can see it working for stills if you're shooting exclusively at f1.4 and 1/8000s or thereabouts, but not for video.
Sorry I should have cut the dfa part. I agree that one lens and any other electronic aperture lens won't work.
My answer was strictly about the use of DA and DFA levees with mechanically coupled aperture. .