Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I went through this same situation when I bought my 31 and solved it by purchasing a 1/2 inch long metal 58mm lens hood for peanuts on ebay, It fits under the stock lens hood and threads onto the lens and exactly matches the length of the fixed, stock lens hood on the lens. It's threaded so a 58 to 77 mm step up ring can now be attached and there is no vignetting. The hood isn't a Heliopan and although it's a a cheap Chinese made product it works perfectly for this situation. I found this to be a perfect, very inexpesive solution. A search on ebay should find it. Hope this helps. This is a fantastic lens and I think you will enjoy it. Happy shooting!!
... can you post a link? I never found a metal hood except of the Heliopan, which fits perfect between the petals of the FA31.

06-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
... can you post a link? I never found a metal hood except of the Heliopan, which fits perfect between the petals of the FA31.
It took some digging into my old orders but I believe the one I bought is still listed. It does fit under the petals. This is the link:

58mm threaded 12mm extension tube / spacer ring | eBay

The end of the tube is even with the end of the petals so it shouldn't vignette and I haven't experienced any, at least not yet, although I rarely shoot wide open.

Last edited by wanderer2; 06-02-2019 at 03:04 AM.
06-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Ya, I ordered bunch of 58mm IR filters but not the most expensive one - coated slim RG780 Heliopan which costs 150 euros. Dang my plan went completely south.

You see, Kolarivision hotspot database said Samyang 35mm f/1.4 is good performer. It uses 77mm filters just like 24mm Samyang. BOTH generate irritaring hotspot which takes major effort in photoshop to remove. Now I have 77mm super expensive coaster of othwerwise superb quality of glass and cutoff-properties.

Now I sent back 24mm Samyang and put my hope to this 31mm Limited. Gosh I hope it works as I saw promising samples taken with APS-C camera bodies.
Are you Shure it's not caused by stray light from an uncovered viewfinder?

Also, check out this thread and what I posted on it:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epentaxforums%2Ecom%...6&share_type=t

06-03-2019, 02:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The viewfinder of my K-1 is taped shut for good. They are clear and honest hotspots which do not happen with my Zeiss 50mm makro-planar. Lens issue.

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 12:41 ----------

UPDATE! I got the lens and put black tape around the petal hood so that "tape hood" did not exceed petal hood's height. Surprise - NO vignetting. Then I nudged the tape hood a bit higher past the edges of the petal hood, about 7-8mm, still no vignetting. Cheap chinese spacers will indeed work and allow slim step-up ring to be used.

06-03-2019, 04:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm glad you found a cheap, easy solution to your problem. I think you will love that lens.