Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1, 31mm Limited and large filters

Huzzah! I just bought 31mm limited for very good price to have something as "wide" angle lens for infrared use. I found out that it should work fine. Now I have to find a way to attach large filters (77mm) to the lens. If I add 58mm spacer tubes (long filter rings) or empty filter rings to reach the height of the built-in hood will I get vignetting with K-1? On top of the stack I would insert 58 -> 77mm step-up ring. Or should I just go rampage and cut off the built-in hood for good?

05-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With petal hoods, any filters need to fit down inside the petals because the low sides of the petal typically define the light paths for the corners of the image. A stack of 58mm filter rings will almost certainly vignette very badly.

You could cut off the hood but then you'll be compromising the flare control of the lens. Unless you reconstruct parts of the petal hood IN FRONT of your 77mm filter, you'll suffer from reduced contrast with a de-hooded lens.

The best solution is to use 58mm filters.
05-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ya, that is what I thought. But if the stack height equals petal hood height, then just maybe? The built-in hood does not seem to be very long. It is just that I have have a huge bunch of 77mm filters including one expensive coated Infrared filter. I found a thread on dpreview forum where FA31mm was equipped with such stack AND a rubber hood on top of it but it was with APS-C camera body.
05-31-2019, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Ya, that is what I thought. But if the stack height equals petal hood height, then just maybe? The built-in hood does not seem to be very long. It is just that I have have a huge bunch of 77mm filters including one expensive coated Infrared filter. I found a thread on dpreview forum where FA31mm was equipped with such stack AND a rubber hood on top of it but it was with APS-C camera body.
A stack as high as the highest part of the hood will severely vignette. With that tall a stack, you probably won't even have a usable image in square crop mode.

The high flat part of a petal hood blocks stray light from the upper and lower parts of the scene.

The lower side parts of the hood let in light from scene that makes up the the sides and corners of the image.

But if you want to test it, just make some black paper tubes 58 mm in diameter, photograph a blank wall and see how long a tube you can have before the vignetting becomes a problem.

05-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good idea. Will do and write back the results when I have the lens. Should be sometime next week.
05-31-2019, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
there is a solution for your big filter: the 58mm short tele hood from Heliopan fits to scew in the FA31 without vignetting. It is completly cylindric. That is why it fits in the FA31 and at the end you can srew in a 58mm filter or a stepUpring for your 77mm filters.
Heliopan make the only hoods in this style!
Filter bei Foto Mayr

2880358 Heliopan Metall Gegenlichtblende, kurz
Ø 58 x 0,75 mm, Höhe: 14 mm
15,30 EUR

The hoods have the same size at the front and the back!

here the international orderform:
https://www.fotofilterversand.de/fofilter/orderform_fotomayr.pdf

Last edited by pid; 05-31-2019 at 09:00 AM.
05-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I will try with a paper tube and if that works, such hood will do the job. I ordered few chinese spacers though as they were very inexpensive. Not much setback if they vignette which seems likely.
05-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

There are some problems with the FA ltds. The fixed petal shaped hood of the 31 mm is just one.

05-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just buy a 58mm filter. Cutting off the hood would be sacrilege.

---------- Post added 05-31-19 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
There are some problems with the FA ltds. The fixed petal shaped hood of the 31 mm is just one.
Care to elaborate ?
05-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Just buy a 58mm filter. Cutting off the hood would be sacrilege.

---------- Post added 05-31-19 at 07:04 PM ----------

Care to elaborate ?
Fish on!!!

Steve
05-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
there is a solution for your big filter: the 58mm short tele hood from Heliopan fits to scew in the FA31 without vignetting. It is completly cylindric. That is why it fits in the FA31 and at the end you can srew in a 58mm filter or a stepUpring for your 77mm filters.
Heliopan make the only hoods in this style!
Filter bei Foto Mayr

2880358 Heliopan Metall Gegenlichtblende, kurz
Ø 58 x 0,75 mm, Höhe: 14 mm
15,30 EUR

The hoods have the same size at the front and the back!

here the international orderform:
https://www.fotofilterversand.de/fofilter/orderform_fotomayr.pdf
In my experience, this would work if you are using an APS-C camera. With the K-1, you’ll get vignetting.
05-31-2019, 10:30 PM   #12
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
In my experience, this would work if you are using an APS-C camera. With the K-1, you’ll get vignetting.
You have to choose the short tele hood not the longer long tele hood. The shorter one works fine on FF. The long one is vignetting.
05-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Such a (predictable) ray of sunshine. The FA31's petal hood is a perfect synergy of form and function - totally true to the Limited ethos, where every hood is optimised for each lens - that's why they are all totally singular.

Back on topic, the Heliopan short tele hood will be fine if you only shoot on crop. On the K-1 it will vignette significantly.

@MJKoski, just shell out for a 58mm IR filter
06-01-2019, 02:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ya, I ordered bunch of 58mm IR filters but not the most expensive one - coated slim RG780 Heliopan which costs 150 euros. Dang my plan went completely south.

You see, Kolarivision hotspot database said Samyang 35mm f/1.4 is good performer. It uses 77mm filters just like 24mm Samyang. BOTH generate irritaring hotspot which takes major effort in photoshop to remove. Now I have 77mm super expensive coaster of othwerwise superb quality of glass and cutoff-properties.

Now I sent back 24mm Samyang and put my hope to this 31mm Limited. Gosh I hope it works as I saw promising samples taken with APS-C camera bodies.
06-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Huzzah! I just bought 31mm limited for very good price to have something as "wide" angle lens for infrared use. I found out that it should work fine. Now I have to find a way to attach large filters (77mm) to the lens. If I add 58mm spacer tubes (long filter rings) or empty filter rings to reach the height of the built-in hood will I get vignetting with K-1? On top of the stack I would insert 58 -> 77mm step-up ring. Or should I just go rampage and cut off the built-in hood for good?
I went through this same situation when I bought my 31 and solved it by purchasing a 1/2 inch long metal 58mm lens hood for peanuts on ebay, It fits under the stock lens hood and threads onto the lens and exactly matches the length of the fixed, stock lens hood on the lens. It's threaded so a 58 to 77 mm step up ring can now be attached and there is no vignetting. The hood isn't a Heliopan and although it's a a cheap Chinese made product it works perfectly for this situation. I found this to be a perfect, very inexpesive solution. A search on ebay should find it. Hope this helps. This is a fantastic lens and I think you will enjoy it. Happy shooting!!