Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Inexpensive ways to go Macro

Quoted are serveral PM between Hin and another member on inexpensive ways to get into Macro. I will elaborate on several means that I have tried and thought of trying -- 1:2 macro zoom lens, extension tubes, close up filter, double layer close up filter, vivitar 2x macro converter, reverse macro adapter, raynox 250 and 150, true 1:2 and 1:1 macro lens etc. Please feel free to jump in to comment if you have tried an inexpensive way to get into macro under a tight budget, say $100 to $200.

QuoteOriginally posted by member:
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman:
If you are on a budget, I suggest the following to try out on Macro. Macro is much harder than any other types of photography that I have learned since last year. I have better luck with birds in flight, wedding, street shots and portraits. But I suck in 2 areas -- macro & flash photography.

The $135 Komine close focusing 1:2 lens is a good deal, I won't doubt the lens. Not having the 'A' only means you can't use PTTL flash on the shots. That would mean that in close up, you see narrow DOF like my shots that part of the butteries will fade in the background. Sometime, you want that effect, sometime not. So I don't see it as a big disadvantage. Also with inputs from other, who are more knowledgeable on flash, use of manual/auto external flash can be attempted on manual metering lens. Honestly, all good macros into 1:2 and 1:1 are north of $300.00 easily

The other inexpensive option to try macro or close up is with the following means:

1. Tamron 70-300 Di LD 1:2 Macro -- this has AF and it is the easiest to use. My used copy cost me $90. It is the best value. The other best choice is the Sigma equivalent in 70-300mm 1:2 Macro APO version.

2. Use a Raynox 250 or 150 close up adapters on your Pentax DA 50-200 lens, you get both 'A' metering and it cost about 40 to 50 dollar a piece. Research on that topic

3. With your A 50mm f/1.7, look for a $50 to $100 Vivitar 2x Macro converter. I tried my Kenko 2x Macro converter on my M 50mm f/1.7 and I am thrilled with the results.

4. Use of extension tubes to raise magnification and draw you closer to subject. I have used Vivitar AT-22 Extension Tubes in the past to increase from 1:2 to 1:1 macro on my 1:2 macro lens

5. Use of reverse macro adapters in reversing a lens with good close up. I saw great results from others on reversing a 28mm prime lens and use extension tube to mount the rear end for good protection.

6. Disassemble a cheap zoom to remove the front element, I saw it done with a plunger mounting in front and the results are good to excellent. I will provide link to photo.net on my friend Gary from Taiwan. It is the best do-it-yourself that get me thinking.

There are other options with close up filters such as the Tiffen close up filter set that I am selling, extension tubes, and other means. Each has its own caveats of difficulty and cost.

Thanks,
Hin

Thanks for the reply. As I am new to photography it sounds like I would be very frustrated without an 'A' lens. Is this likely? I really want to get into macro but am not ready to jump into the expensive lenses until I know what I am doing, do you have any recommendations?
I cannot find a Vivitar 2x Macro converter ANYWHERE! I especially can't find the one with the 'A' feature. Any suggestion?

Last edited by hinman; 10-08-2008 at 06:34 AM.
10-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Quoted are serveral PM between Hin and Aaron on inexpensive ways to get into Macro. I will elaborate on several means that I have tried and thought of trying -- 1:2 macro zoom lens, extension tubes, close up filter, double layer close up filter, vivitar 2x macro converter, reverse macro adapter, raynox 250 and 150, true 1:2 and 1:1 macro lens etc. Please feel free to jump in to comment if you have tried an inexpensive way to get into macro under a tight budget, say $100 to $200.
Helios 58mm f/2 - 7$
Pentacon Bellows - 5$

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2010/2490079868_9a3714e77f_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/2515695975_5195dcf0e4_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2515696489_5042528212_o.jpg
10-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I will echo the suggestion of a bellows for inexpensive macro. I paid about
$25 for my bellows, (Zewrack, $5, wow!) and I use lenses I already have.
Here's a shot with my Pentax M 50/1.7

(click to see larger image, check out the hairs on the spider)

I already had the 50mm but they are inexpensive, I am sure there are some
good buys in the marketplace here at PentaxForums.
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
I will echo the suggestion of a bellows for inexpensive macro. I paid about
$25 for my bellows, (Zewrack, $5, wow!) and I use lenses I already have.
Here's a shot with my Pentax M 50/1.7
Well in all fairness, mine are M42 .

10-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've tried most of these to some extent.

The Tamron lens is a decent way to get quasi-macro. Only 1:2, which isn't that great, and in fact even the kit lens can do 1:3. Good luck trying to handhold the Tamron when in 1:2 mode, though - you're extending the lens all the way, and it's pretty big.

Cheap closeup filters work, albeit IQ is not so hot. The Raynox is not much more expensive and works *much* better. Plus it is adjustable in the sense of working with different sizes of lens filters. Only downside compared to cheaper closeup filters is that it is bulkier.

Extension tubes generally require lenses with aperture rings and even then can be awkward to use, but results are fantastic. Another downside is that whereas closeup filters (including the Raynox) provide more magnification with *longer* lenses, extensions tubes provide more magnification with *sorter* lenses. Meaning in effect, for the same magnification, you usually have to work physically closer to your subject with extension tubes.

I haven't used an actual reversing adapter to reverse one lens in front of another, but I have done it handheld just to try the concept. Certainly produces good results, but whether it's any better than the Raynox, I cannot say. Again, kind of awkward (admittedly more so when you try to do it without the adapter), and you do want a lens with an aperture ring. I have not tried the technique where you actually use only one lens and have it reversed - that is even harder to pull off without an adapter.
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Raynox DCR-250 with a DA 55-300mm. I don't see any sort of deterioration due to the close-up lens, except that with the 55-300 it vignettes at 70-100mm, which is a nice range for macro work. I believe the 50-200mm is a better partner with the DCR-250.

I should have bought the Raynox 150 for its longer working distance. The 2.7:1 macro with the Raynox at 300mm is excessive for most uses.
Here are a couple of samples, DCR-250 with DA 55-300mm:

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-11-2008 at 05:52 AM.