Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

PKA/R query

Hi,

Found an old Carl Zeiss Jena 28-70 manual zoom from my days of film SLRs, it has the combined PKA and Ricoh mount that was common at the time.

From memory the IQ was pretty good but worried about the Ricoh pin in a DSLR, it fits in my non working *istDL with no issues, but worried about trying it on my K3ii or K30 in case it gets stuck. As it works with the *istDL is it likely that it will fit the others with no problems or would it be stupid to try it?

Has anyone ever used this lens on either camera, is so we're there any issues.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Last edited by andyk17; 06-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.
06-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

I've not used this specific lens, but I do have several lenses, extension tubes and a 2x with the "Ricoh pin" and not had any unsurmountable problems, though I'll admit to have needed to give things a "bit of a twist" to get them to uncouple on occasion.

The recommendations I've read are to either put a drop of epoxy over the pin to fill any recess then file the whole thing flat once it's good and set, or a drop of "Superglue" on the pin and hold it in place with a suitable tool 'till it dries. Personally, I'd have reservations about using cyanoacrylate adhesive near to any optics "just in case"

Good luck
06-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Kypfer,

Thanks for the advice, it's a pity my *IstDL suddenly stopped working otherwise I might have left it on that to try it out. Chances are it will be OK on the others, as the pin doesn't extend far but not sure if I will risk it.

Andrew
06-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andyk17 Quote
As it works with the *istDL is it likely that it will fit the others with no problems or would it be stupid to try it?
The question should be weighed against the desirability of using the lens. The lens is a generic Japanese zoom and was not designed by nor manufactured for the East German Carl Zeiss Jena.* If it has the "ball" type pin, the risk may be low. If it has the tall squared-off or tall rounded-top pin, the risk may be greater. The earlier use on your *ist DL may be an indication of what you can expect from mounting to your current cameras. If it had any tendency to foul with the AF well on that camera, you may want to place a permanent waiver on using it now.

Steve

* At one time the British importer of CZJ products had marketing rights to the Carl Zeiss Jena marque and used that right to apply the name to consumer-level zooms from Japan. These were available in multiple mounts including Ricoh P and Pentax K/KA. The easiest way to know these lenses is that they were made in mounts other than those available for Pentacon-made cameras.

06-07-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The question should be weighed against the desirability of using the lens. The lens is a generic Japanese zoom and was not designed by nor manufactured for the East German Carl Zeiss Jena.* If it has the "ball" type pin, the risk may be low. If it has the tall squared-off or tall rounded-top pin, the risk may be greater. The earlier use on your *ist DL may be an indication of what you can expect from mounting to your current cameras. If it had any tendency to foul with the AF well on that camera, you may want to place a permanent waiver on using it now.

Steve

* At one time the British importer of CZJ products had marketing rights to the Carl Zeiss Jena marque and used that right to apply the name to consumer-level zooms from Japan. These were available in multiple mounts including Ricoh P and Pentax K/KA. The easiest way to know these lenses is that they were made in mounts other than those available for Pentacon-made cameras.
Thanks for the response, I had pretty much decided not to risk it, I was aware that it was not an 'original' Carl Zeiss and to be honest although it may have decent IQ probably no where near as good as my Sigma 17-70 (C). Maybe I will buy some film and try it on my Program A.

Andrew
06-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used a Zeiss Jena 28-70 (that I would swear was made by Sigma) on my Super Program to good results, so yours should be great on the Program A.

It was replaced by a FA28-105 that I liked better in nearly every way.

-Eric
06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Found an old Carl Zeiss Jena 28-70 manual zoom from my days of film SLRs, it has the combined PKA and Ricoh mount that was common at the time.

From memory the IQ was pretty good but worried about the Ricoh pin in a DSLR, it fits in my non working *istDL with no issues, but worried about trying it on my K3ii or K30 in case it gets stuck. As it works with the *istDL is it likely that it will fit the others with no problems or would it be stupid to try it?

Has anyone ever used this lens on either camera, is so we're there any issues.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
If my memory is correct, the "Ricoh Pin" is located in exactly the same spot as the Pentax screw-drive, and the lens gets stuck when the pin locks into the drive. Somewhere, I have an old Ricoh lens, but I didn't dare try to mount it on my K-30 until I had removed the pin {I found the instructions on-line}.

Added: here are illustrated instructions for removing the pin
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2008/05/ricoh-lenses-on-pentax-cameras-ricoh.html

Last edited by reh321; 06-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
06-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I probably won't risk it on my DSLRs, pity the *istDL stopped working, as I coild have tried it on that. That suddenly started shooting dark pictures, Google suggested a blown sensor, so not worth repairing.

Andrew

06-09-2019, 03:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the responses, I probably won't risk it on my DSLRs, pity the *istDL stopped working, as I coild have tried it on that. That suddenly started shooting dark pictures, Google suggested a blown sensor, so not worth repairing.

Andrew
Post a photo of the mount and we can tell you if it would be a danger or not.