Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plastic white mounting alignment nub on M series

So this past few weeks I've picked up 2 M series zooms, the 40-80 and the 35-70. I got them both cheap...like $15 each and both were good glass, but both are missing the little plastic white nub. I can't image this is something I can buy so I'm looking for possible replacements. My first idea is to get a white plastic bead of the approximate diameter, somehow slice it in two, and glue it in place. Has anyone else ever replaced this part and have any better ideas?

06-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #2

You have the right idea. It's even easier replacing the red bead on Minolta lenses because you don't have to cut the bead. Try an arts and crafts store like Michaels.
06-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
My first idea is to get a white plastic bead of the approximate diameter, somehow slice it in two, and glue it in place. Has anyone else ever replaced this part and have any better ideas?
I think it would be rather easier to buy two beads and sand or file them down (plus a couple for practise) rather than struggling to cut one small bead in half
06-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
but both are missing the little plastic white nub. I can't image this is something I can buy so I'm looking for possible replacements. My first idea is to get a white plastic bead of the approximate diameter, somehow slice it in two, and glue it in place. Has anyone else ever replaced this part and have any better ideas?
Beads can be a good idea, or just some Sugru if you don't mind a more matte finish.

06-18-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beware!

There is a hole under the nub on some lenses. Put a piece of sticker on the hole before adding glue and new bead to avoid having glue inside lens...

Seb
06-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was able to get some beads but cutting or filing them in half turned out to be easier said then done. After telling my wife about this she told me half beads were available and are used in crafts to be glued down...perfect. so the 3mm was too small...the 5mm too big. I now have 400 4mm half beads coming that I got from China for 99 cents shipped. Anyone need any

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Beware!

There is a hole under the nub on some lenses. Put a piece of sticker on the hole before adding glue and new bead to avoid having glue inside lens...

Seb
Good idea...I had this though as I was worried about epoxy getting into the hole and sticking to the barrel beneath...so I'm sliding a piece of thin plastic under the edge and pull it out after drying...assuming I have access ...else as you said.