Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 300 4.5 lens hood question

Hey all, just picked one of these up off fleabay for a pretty good price and trying to figure out if there is an issue with the lens hood or not (the lens itself is optically great so going to keep it regardless). The hood (a PH-RBC 67) does not snap or lock into place, and even when I can sorta get it seated it can slide up or down the barrel pretty easily. Trying to figure out if there is some trick I am missing, whether this is par for the course, or whether its worth buying a replacement to see if that works better.

It does appear to be the correct hood for the lens, with 4 slots on both barrel and hood. I cannot see anything visibly that appears to be broken, just two small plastic wheels around each opening. There are no other visible clips or clamps that I can see in the hood.

Thanks for your help.

06-11-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The matching hood is MH-RBC67
I believe PH-RBC67 is for 645 45/2.8, a wide lens
06-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
The matching hood is MH-RBC67
I believe PH-RBC67 is for 645 45/2.8, a wide lens
Whoops. I do appear to have the MH-RBC67. It has no visible markings but looks like the one on most pictures of the lens and I have no reason to believe the seller or a PO swapped it out. So, other than that, the original questions about hood operation still stand.

My mistake in referencing the wrong hood. The PH version was the one I found on ebay when I googled "MHRBC67," then overlooked that the first letter had changed, and lazily block copied from that in writing my original post. The hood (at least the one pictured on the ebay listing) looks pretty similar ... so thanks for pointing out the difference ... and for saving me $59 on a replacement hood that probably wouldn't work either!

ETA: Or perhaps the ebay seller just misidentified the hood.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-PH-RBC-67mm-Silver-Metal-Lens-Hood-for-PENTA...QAAOSwKpBcu-ig
06-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That looks like the right hood linked above. I would inspect the threads on the lens for any damage, as well as the locking mechanism on the hood you have. Feel free to post pics if you think anything looks unusual.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I don't have it with me so can't post pictures at the moment, but there does not appear to be any visible damage to the lens threads or locking mechanism, which is what prompted me to ask if this is just how this hood functions. There are no springs or any other active locking mechanism, it just appears to work by lining up the grooves and turning. But unlike many other lenses and hoods with this kind of configuration that I own or have in the past, it does not lock easily into place at all. Without careful attention, it ends up off kilter or loose.

Since the original post, and with constant fiddling, I have found one connection spot where I can make it work (and marked that on both the lens barrel and the hood with a sharpie dot), but other than that it just will not lock easily or reliably in place ... not ideal when working in the field and trying to focus your attention on the subject rather than your gear.

It may just be that that's the way this one works, so hopefully some of the other owners of this lens will stumble over here and chime in with their experience. :-) Thanks.
06-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I just got out my FA* 300mm f/4.5. I've had it about 10 years, having bought it new from a dealer going out of business, as a display model. Mint condition. It is a great lens, and I enjoy using it very much. On both my K-5 IIs and my KP, its screw-driven AF is fast and accurate. I've used it now on 6 different camera models.

It is indeed strange that Pentax did not put lineup markers on the hood. But I found I can snap it on with no problem, although it takes some adjusting, and I am able to get it to snap into place with the lens rotated to various positions. But I find the most reliable way is to plan so the name Pentax will be at the top when snapped in. Snapping into place is done by clockwise rotation, and does take some pressure to engage the snap. It is then very definite and very secure.

Since my DA* 50-135mm is already out, I compared installing its hood, which appears to be high quality polycarbonate, while the FA* 300mm hood is apparently made of metal. The DA* hood does have a lineup mark. It snaps into place almost too easily, and is less secure than that of the FA* lens, but just adequate.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
06-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The one i got is a lot more fidgety, but I can't figure out why.

I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement to see if works better; if not its returnable so I'm only out the shipping fee. I'll post back here after it arrives just in case someone else faces this problem in the future.
06-12-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The bayonet "rails" get get worn out (or just off, really) -- I've had it happen with other lenses anyway. If the wear is primarily on the hood, a new hood will be better, if on the lens then it may be much the same. If you could identify an area missing some material, you might be able to use one of those UV plastic bonder things to build it up again.

06-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
Thanks Mike. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The one i got is a lot more fidgety, but I can't figure out why.

I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement to see if works better; if not its returnable so I'm only out the shipping fee. I'll post back here after it arrives just in case someone else faces this problem in the future.
How well does the hood lock on when reversed? Mine (close to Like New condition) snaps with conviction and stays locked in both positions, but - like many locking reversible hoods on my lenses - is a chore to align correctly before turning it.

The DFA24-70 is my most fiddly hood to align. It is truly vexing to remount the hood reversed when putting it away.
06-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Doesn't lock reversed hardly at all. Inspected it again last night and while the rails on the barrel seem fine it seems like some of the wheels or nibs on the inside of the hood have worn down, so there are only a few that offer purchase. Having not seen another yet can't tell for sure, but gives me hope that the replacement hood will work better when it arrives.
06-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
Doesn't lock reversed hardly at all. Inspected it again last night and while the rails on the barrel seem fine it seems like some of the wheels or nibs on the inside of the hood have worn down, so there are only a few that offer purchase. Having not seen another yet can't tell for sure, but gives me hope that the replacement hood will work better when it arrives.
This looks to be promising for the replacement!
06-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New hood arrived and it fits much better. Still a bit more fiddly than others, but it snaps in tightly in both shooting and reversed positions. In comparing the two hoods side by side, it appears that 6 or 7 of the 8 nibs were worn down so far that there was nothing left to extend beyond the side rail, and the hood just slid off. (There are eight plastic nibs -- in 4 sets of 2 -- on the inside of the hood that lock into the rails on the barrel.) A few of the nibs on the "new" one appear to be in the same condition, but there is enough left on the others to hold the hood in place, at least for now.

Hopefully this thread will help others who find a similar problem. @vonBaloney 's suggestion of finding something to build the material on the nibs back up is probably the best solution if you can't find a replacement. (And if anyone cares to try, I've got a nice looking non-working hood for sale, assuming the fleabay seller won't take it back!)