Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax SMC A / M Menu Settings

Anyone could tell me which is the best menu set the menu for Green Button using SMC A 50mm f 1.4 - f 1.7 on Pentax Mirrorless K-01 and Pentax K5 II( Tv shift p Line etc)

Next step on the menu I love use the lens on A MODE so should forbid the use of aperture ring? Right?

Any other tips?

Last I Got also a manual zoom Pentax SMC M 35-70 1:2.8 35mm-70mm any setting tips

Many thanks in advance for any tips or hints.

06-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the A lenses work well in the camera's M mode. I do set my cameras to allow use of the aperture ring, but, with the A lenses, that is not, of course, required.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-11-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
06-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would always keep your A lenses at the A setting, though I wouldn't bother changing the aperture ring menu setting, since it won't really make a difference.

With A lenses, use the green button as you would with any other modern lens. For M lenses you need to set it to TV shift.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If the aperture ring is set to A, you can set the aperture with camera controls. You can see it in all the displays - rear screen, viewfinder and top LCD on the K-5 II. The aperture setting is also included in the picture's data, which is handy sometimes. Matrix metering works. Onboard flash can adjust the power of the flash. All the modes work. PDAF sensors only use the center point with A lenses. That slightly affects scene modes which alter the AF behavior. You still have to enter a focal length for SR and focus, but A lenses are very compatible. The only reason to use the aperture ring is on extension tubes or reversed.

Your manual zoom will need to have the aperture ring use enabled, which has no penalty in ordinary use. You'll have to choose a focal length for SR. I might try 50mm because it's in the middle or 35mm because the SR might overcompensate. You'll have to use M mode to shoot at any aperture besides wide open. Metering will sneak into center weighted instead of matrix - the camera does this automatically and reverts to matrix if you switch back to an A lens. All the nice features mentioned above for A lenses are unavailable. See the sticky on M or M42 lenses for all the details.

06-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax SMC M 35-70 1:2.8 35mm-70mm is a great lens. Just use it in M-Mode, choose a ISO (start low like ISO 100), next choose a Aperture on the Aperture ring and than push the green button to get the right timesetting. If it is to slow, increase the ISO or change aperture. After you found the right settings you can just take pictures and ignore the most of the time the settings, exept when the lightsituation changes. But in most cases you can hold your settings without changing anything. That was the way we shoot in foreign times with analog cameras. The Pentax SMC M 35-70 1:2.8 35mm-70mm has great color and rendering and is a lot of fun. The best is you can set the focus on 70mm and push the zoom forward to wider angles and get always sharp pictures! Try it! The lens is almost as good as the new DFA 24-70/2.8 I have both and was very impressed about the old manual zoom.