Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #1

pentax Kp with HD 16-85mm lens

I purchased this lens (number 7605461) from an authorized dealer with a warranty, completely new. It was badly made and I wrote about it in detail in the dprewiev portal. In my eyes, Pentax has completely lost its reputation because they do not tested the quality of this lens before being sold to the customer. Of course, I told my friends about this. I have a question for the Pentax Corporation: when you will begin to test the quality of your production at the factories?

06-15-2019, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you elaborate? Why not just get it replaced? This is something that most customers never experience, and the reason that there's a warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2019, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome I've moved your post to our "Pentax SLR Lens Discussion" forum, as it's really about the lens rather than your KP

Regarding the HD DA16-85... Many people have been happy with this lens. I was unlucky and went through a couple of copies before choosing something different - but I'm very much in the minority. Those who like it tend to like it a lot, and most have had no problems (a small few have, but you get that with any product).

It seems harsh that you'd feel Pentax "has completely lost its reputation" on the basis of one product that you're dissatisfied with The majority of members here - me included - are satisfied with most of their Pentax gear. That said, Ricoh / Pentax production is subject to broadly the same quality control limitations as any other company manufacturing highly complex products in large numbers for a market where buyers expect much for relatively little money. Unlike the DA* and D FA* lenses, the HD DA16-85 is a consumer grade model. The same grade lenses from all manufacturers - Pentax, Nikon, Canon etc. - are subject to occasional quality issues (a quick Google search will yield complaints about lenses from every brand). If the manufacturers were to significantly increase their testing and quality assurance, that would increase cost of production accordingly and result in lenses that are considerably more expensive. Indeed, you can see this increased cost in the afore-mentioned DA* and D FA* lenses. Part of what you're paying for with these is a stronger guarantee of quality.

Every now and then, a new member joins to explain their dissatisfaction with an item of Pentax equipment and/or the brand (sometimes, that's all they post and we rarely - if ever - hear from them again). Responses to their posts generally contain the same information, so I started a thread on this a little while ago. You can read it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/386733-your-ric...ith-brand.html

Just as an FYI, please note that PentaxForums is an enthusiast community, and has no links with Ricoh / Pentax. Given that, if you're actually looking for a response from Ricoh, you would need to contact them directly.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-15-2019 at 05:35 AM.
06-15-2019, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Claiming a company has lost its reputation on a single lens is extreme.

It is not a Pentax problem. Every company will have products that fail right out of the box.

Years ago when I purchased my Tamron 70-200 --- straight out of the box was unusable. Would not focus, rattled etc.

In no way did it say Tamron had lost all credibility as a lens maker. They stood behind their product and made good with an immediate replacement.

Pentax will stand behind the warranty. Send it back for a replacement.

06-15-2019, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Sorry. You can't extrapolate a single bad experience into a 'therefore it's all bad' statement.

Stuff happens. No matter how well made or expensive something is, someone will always find something that isn't quite right.

The lens you refer to is consumer grade, i.e. built to a price. You get what you pay for.

Copy what you wrote on DPR here so we can understand more.

Try a DA* or Limited lens, then come back and tell us if Pentax is still rubbish.
06-15-2019, 05:09 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are several things that could of happened to your lens. There is a very good chance that your lens worked when it left the factory. It could of been damaged during shipping or when stocked at the retailer you purchased it from. So before bashing a brand new product I would suggest doing what any reasonable person would do. Return it for replacement. If they give you a problem doing that. Then you have a reason to start bashing them.
06-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
There are several things that could of happened to your lens. There is a very good chance that your lens worked when it left the factory. It could of been damaged during shipping or when stocked at the retailer you purchased it from. So before bashing a brand new product I would suggest doing what any reasonable person would do. Return it for replacement. If they give you a problem doing that. Then you have a reason to start bashing them.
Looking at the OP's thread on DPR, he has returned it once for repair, and it came back with a different manifestation of the same problem, so it has gone back for repair a second time. As one of the posters in that discussion has rightly stated, the OP should request a replacement, or keep sending it back until it is returned in satisfactory working condition. I've had to do this with a Tamron lens before now (the 10-24), and though it was inconvenient, I finally ended up with a lens I am satisfied with...
06-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax 16-85 is an excellent lens. I have never had a problem with it. I would agree that if the warranty is in effect, or if the customer is still within of the return period of the seller, it may be a good move to request a return and replacement of the product.

06-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My 16-85 is one of my most solid and reliable lenses which has resulted in it becoming my most used lens very soon after I bought it. I would be interested in what the problem issue with yours is.
06-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It would help to know what the exact problem is. I went through several copies of the the lens (new) and the one I kept still has some softness on one side or another depending on focal length and subject distance. The image position shifts/jumps annoyingly during manual focus. And sometimes the AF just can't lock on to fairly routine subjects - a problem I don't have with any of my other lenses, Pentax or other brands. Still, under most conditions the lens produces good results, and seems to be the best lens option in its range for Pentax.
06-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All companies use buyers as the final testers, VE, as an engineer you should know of this phenomenon!

The cash saved is what we benefit from in lower prices at the cash register.

Warranties are the remedy mechanism, and *every* manufacturer will need them for the inevitable returns.