Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Missing Rubber Grip on Lens - Replacement

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have seen a fair few posts since I restarted photography with people asking for possible replacement rubber for lenses when the original grip parts company and not seen any really good fixes for this. I have tried to find someone who makes rubber sheets with the diamond or chequer pattern on but had no luck. Lately I have been experimenting with an old Vivitar 135mm on various fixes but last week I found something that really seems to work......

Multifunctional Grip Tape For Guns Cell Phones Cameras Tools Rubber for Phones | eBay

Its self sticky and actually looks quite good when cut to size. Its quite grippy and soft but not squishy. I thought if anyone else is stuck for a solution they may find this useful.

Its actually not too dissimilar to the stuff Tamron have used on some of their stuff in the past. I can't say how durable it is yet but should the glue fail I daresay a bit of contact adhesive would make things more solid. As its used for gun grips I am guessing its likely to be quite tough and durable.

As soon as I get it fitted to the test lens I will post up and give you look with some pics.

06-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Unregistered User

I've used a similar product on a variety of photo items, it really is a good solution.

It gives a good grip without being too rough.

It is great for slippery camera bodies too.

Another nice thing is that is doesn't peel up at the corners but if you want to remove it it will peel without leaving a sticky mess.
06-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Its self sticky and actually looks quite good when cut to size.
I'd say you may have found a great general solution. I have seen similar sold under the name Griptac for use as camera body covering and for a grip surface on hockey sticks and such, but never considered it may be used focus-ring grips.

Steve
06-18-2019, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a shot of what it looks like - scuse the fact its a tatty old Vivitar/Minolta MD fit but I wasn't going to risk it on better glass.

To get the fit right I made up a paper template first but it still required a bit of fiddling to get the join right. Rather than stick it direct I lightly wetted the sticky back of it first to slow the glue from drying and sticking (just like you do with light seals). Got it applied and then wrapped some elastic bands over it while it dried. After 12 hours drying (it probably didn't need that much but I only had enough for a maximum of two attempts) its very solid, quite grippy, good tactile feel and looks pretty good - seems to have worked perfectly as a replacement.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 05-09-2020 at 06:33 AM.