Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you can loosen up the focus ring, the 28mm f3.5 is a fine lens. I think I will follow others in recommending the 50mm f1.7 as perhaps the best manual 50mm for the ME Super. The 50mm f2 is cheaper, but doesn't have the IQ. The 50mm f1.4 is faster, but too much more expensive to justify its additional price over the f1.7 just to get a half-stop that you will very rarely use.

BTW: In the owner ratings here on PF, the M 50mm f1.7 is rated higher than the M 50mm f1.4, but the A 50mm f1.4 is rated higher than the A 50mm f1.7. Go figure,
To each his own of course, but with the available sensitivity of most inexpensive consumer films, I use both my M 50 1.4 and M 50 1.7 wide open quite often. I also shoot a lot indoors, during the evening or night, etc. And that's why I like the 1.7 lens more; it 'behaves better' in my eyes wide open than the 50 1.4. But when you're in a dark club trying to get a photo of the band... I'll take a lens that doesn't behave well if it helps me gather more like to get a proper shot. The number of times I leave my camera/lens set at 1/30th of a second and f1.x is probably 1/2 of the shots I take week to week.

This is also why, when I have enough spare change gathered up, I want to get a 55mm f1.2 (probably a Porst like the one pepperberry has which seems pretty good wide open).