Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
...especially since I have a perfectly good 55-300. With that, the question would be why I should get one then? I'm also curious to see how well it will work with a TC.

Heather

Heather,

You probably don't need the Tammy 70-200 if you already have the 55-300 unless
you need the speed - f/2.8 allows more indoor shooting situations, low-light
outdoors, and DOF manipulation at the long end. Aside from that, the 55-300
looks to me like it's an excellent performer & is probably more than adequate for any outdoor shooting.

10-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #32
Veteran Member

So it's screw-drive focus, huh? How many people will rule this lens out in favour of the Sigma because of that?
10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are killing me man! I am late onto this thread and your results are amazing. I took the LBA pledge and am on the wagon until at least the first of the year.

Tell me something. I have looked at many pictures of this lens, but all have been Canon mount. Does the Pentax variant have an aperture ring? I know the lens is FF and if I buy one (after Jan 1, of course) I want to make sure that it will work on my film camera.

Steve

(Repeat as needed...The 70-200 is not required...it is all an illusion...everything J touches turns to gold...no need to rush out to buy anything...no need...no need...)
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
So it's screw-drive focus, huh? How many people will rule this lens out in favour of the Sigma because of that?
I sure as hell ain't one of them! This is a top-of-the list purchase right here!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tell me something. I have looked at many pictures of this lens, but all have been Canon mount. Does the Pentax variant have an aperture ring? I know the lens is FF and if I buy one (after Jan 1, of course) I want to make sure that it will work on my film camera.

No aperture ring, sadly. No mainstream manufacturer produces lenses with aperture rings anymore (forget Cosina - Voigtlander & Zeiss)

10-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I almost chose the Sigma because of the HSM - I love the quiet, precise focus
of HDM on the DA* lenses. In the end, a particular thread on dpreview showing
incredible images from the Tamron tipped me that way, although I've seen some
great images from the Sigma also.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are killing me man! I am late onto this thread and your results are amazing. I took the LBA pledge and am on the wagon until at least the first of the year.

Steve

(Repeat as needed...The 70-200 is not required...it is all an illusion...everything J touches turns to gold...no need to rush out to buy anything...no need...no need...)

Steve, No aperture ring. There you go, you can move on now!

One thing I've come to appreciate all over again - Pentax's in-body shake
reduction. That allows this $699 lens outperform the $1300 Canon/Nikon
equivalents - SR equalizes them, and the Tammy's IQ surpasses them.
Sweet. For us.

Quick 'what-the-hell' moon shot, no tripod:

Putting a rock in his mouth. What a good dad I am:

Methodical stick manipulation:

"What's that sound?? I was expecting HSM!":

Popcorn!

Someone else's little guy:

1:3 "macro" at 200mm:

Some bokeh:

Last edited by jsherman999; 10-13-2008 at 01:03 PM.
10-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Tamron spins the focus ring faster...the K10D has a hefty screw motor.
It's noisier than the Sigma, though, so make your own tradeoffs...
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Dim light, ISO 800, f/2.8, 200mm - still pretty good!

(first time wearing mittens!)

10-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I'm on a major LBA run right now, but you continued posts have my struggling with a NEED for this lens (doh!). I'm gonna look around tomorrow for stuff to sell. (the 18-250 will go...)
10-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #39

These pictures are superb. I really am considering this lens to my bag (which does not have many lenses). I think I wait 'til it comes here in store so I could have my little fingers around it to test it myself.

Thank You for posting those pictures

Last edited by Sprot; 10-14-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling
10-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
Amazing captures! Thanks for sharing. Looks like the lens performs very well. I have read a dpreview article about that lens - they point out a weakness (resolution falloff) at 135mm setting at full aperture. Have you noticed that softness? As far as I can see from your photograps in the beginning of the thread, closeups are quite sharp... What about longer focusing distances?
10-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Great pics. Looks like the weather is getting a bit nippy in MN. I always enjoy the pics of your son (Igillian also has some winners of his daughters). Love the curly hair. I think your son must be one of the most, if not the most, photographed son in the world.
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Great pics. Looks like the weather is getting a bit nippy in MN. I always enjoy the pics of your son (Igillian also has some winners of his daughters). Love the curly hair. I think your son must be one of the most, if not the most, photographed son in the world.
He might be, he's a bit older than my son by the look of things (my boy's 9 months next week), but I'm working on breaking the record for redundant photography of a child . I've got 1413 shots tagged with his name right now, and there'll be more soon I'm sure.

The pics of jsherman jr. on this thread and elsewhere are great. I'll have to start posting more of my son ...
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
He might be, he's a bit older than my son by the look of things (my boy's 9 months next week), but I'm working on breaking the record for redundant photography of a child . I've got 1413 shots tagged with his name right now, and there'll be more soon I'm sure.

The pics of jsherman jr. on this thread and elsewhere are great. I'll have to start posting more of my son ...
It is natural to take lots of photos of our children. Or at least I think it is. I've got 2,014 tagged of my youngest 8 yr old son (I'm sure there are some that are not tagged) just from the past 5 months. It would be an interesting (although daunting) exercise to research exactly how many photos I've taken of him over his 8 years. The great thing is all his photos fit in a small box of discs. His older brothers have prints and negatives that fill up a couple huge boxes and lots of albums.
When we were threatened with a major fire a couple years ago I packed all the photos and put them by the door for a fast get away. That is when the contrast hit me between film and digital archiving.
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #44
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pictures are very impressive.

A few questions that I have not seen answered:
1. How fast is the autofocus? Does it lag more than other lenses on the camera?
2. How quiet is the lens? I recall the DA* lenses are very quiet on the K10D and newer cameras (K200 and K20)?
3. Showing my ignorance, what is the implications (good and bad) of it being a screw drive?
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Stop Jay ... I tell you ... this is making it harder and harder for me.
This ia definitely going to be a great outdoor "toddler-chase-and capture" lens ... I have been look high and low for something that can do this.

Plus I have a nice Tamron TC to hook it up to as well ... I just don't have the $900AUD for one at the moment.