Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you notice @Luftluss stuff a few posts above?
Yes, I've read all comments / posts, looked at the exif info.

In the meantime I've tried again my closeup lens on the D-FA 70-200, then found some adapter rings for the D-FA 28-105, works well on the D-FA28-105 @ 105. On the 70-200 the working distance is larger but the range of camera-subject distance for focusing is narrow and DoF is so thin. Made an experiment with a coin as subject , used the Pentax commander program, captured about 30 exposure with pixel shift and stacked them with helicon focus, the result is amazing. So the primary problem with the close up lens and 200mm isn't primarily a sharpness problem it is that the depth of field on FF + closeup lens is hardly usable with a single exposure. Getting an old MF lens is actually a cost effective option, the KIRON 105 seems pretty good and it has an aperture ring, can be used with cheap extension tubes.

06-23-2019, 02:40 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I am not sure why macro and af is soo looked down on. With my sigma 70 it is extremely accurate. I prefer to use it and allow my left hand to really stabilize the camera because of the weird angles I have to be for most "in the wild" macro shots. My flash is also off balance for position. Just breathing and pushing the shutter can move the focus extremely in macro.
I think a lot of people manually focus to the magnification they want and then move in and out to get the item that they are photographing in focus. There is no right or wrong, but many macro lenses have long focus throws and if they don't have a focus limiter (the DFA 100 macro WR doesn't) then you can end up racking the focus from end to end several times in the process of auto focusing.
06-23-2019, 03:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think a lot of people manually focus to the magnification they want and then move in and out to get the item that they are photographing in focus
It depends what we want to photograph. If I'm at home for doing product photographs, I can setup the system to best magnification manually, move the camera lens to closest distance, tweak for perfect focus , best aperture... If I'm out doing landscape and I see plenty of butterflies, the kind of at home macro setup is too slow, an auto-focus macro lens saves time.