View Poll Results: UV filter on all lens
Yes always 3827.74%
nah its the 21st century 9972.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used to. I have filters for all my lenses (now in a box tucked away). Found that they affect IQ and sometimes AF. Have never seen any positive effect, so I remeved them a couple of years ago. Never used any since.

07-05-2019, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still use them, just mostly for protection. I maybe old school, but I'd rather have a broken filter than a broken or chipped lens.
07-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #63
Pentaxian

For those who find filters affect their images in noticeable ways, is the issue primarily resolution or flare? I have had only one filter ever that I could tell affected resolution, and that was dramatic, while many filters have had an effect on flare, but only that I could see under specific circumstances. However my highest resolution body is only 16mp with an AA filter, so maybe this is becoming more of an issue as sensor resolution has increased.
07-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely ever used a UV or a skylight filter but somewhere along the line I was told it good for long telephotos for reducing haze...I don't know if that's true or not, but that's why I put one on my 300/4 SMCT...it has a nice built-in hood so probably didn't make any difference but I never tested it. When I did use one it was a multicoated higher end one...like a Hoya.

07-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
For those who find filters affect their images in noticeable ways, is the issue primarily resolution or flare? I have had only one filter ever that I could tell affected resolution, and that was dramatic, while many filters have had an effect on flare, but only that I could see under specific circumstances. However my highest resolution body is only 16mp with an AA filter, so maybe this is becoming more of an issue as sensor resolution has increased.
I started asking that question a decade ago, with a K10D. Today? The answer is that I can detect no difference between a *good quality* UV filter and without, at least on modern lenses.
07-06-2019, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I've mainly noticed a slight softening when using filters on telephoto lenses. It's only obvious when reviewing images with fine detail at 1:1 or greater reproduction ratios while processing / editing. Additionally, I've had some light reflection issues. I have a whole series of shots with magenta blobs in them, taken indoors at a railway museum that uses strong overhead spot lighting. I'd forgotten to remove the UV filter from my lens, and all but a handful of those shots was affected.

But the biggest issue I've encountered was with UV filters that introduced a strange diagonal lines in the out-of-focus areas. See a couple of my earlier threads here:

Always test your filters! - PentaxForums.com

Further testing - UV filter and diagonal lines in bokeh - PentaxForums.com

The take-aways from this are (1) if you're going to use UV (or any other) filters on your lenses, test them first and carefully review your images at 1:1 reproduction to ensure you're happy with the results, and (2) remove them if there's a strong light source in front of the camera (even if it's outside of the visible frame)...
07-06-2019, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve started taking them off, especially on my legacy lenses where there is a great tendancy to add reflections between the filter and the front element, especially for night shots

07-06-2019, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Never, ever. I would never aduterate a perfectly good lens with a protective filter.
07-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I’ve started taking them off, especially on my legacy lenses where there is a great tendancy to add reflections between the filter and the front element, especially for night shots
this is pretty much my application too. if there is salt spray or swirling sand, I may use a clear protection filter. otherwise, i definitely do not want the ghost effects or extra reflection in my night shots such as cityscapes.
07-07-2019, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see that reflections could be an issue, but a clear glass filter should not be able to otherwise affect the light passing through it in any functional way. Sometimes I get the impression that what is claimed is more mystical than real - reminds me of the HiFi crowd who made outrageous claims, such as "the direction of twist" in their cables affecting the sound.
07-07-2019, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I can see that reflections could be an issue, but a clear glass filter should not be able to otherwise affect the light passing through it in any functional way. Sometimes I get the impression that what is claimed is more mystical than real - reminds me of the HiFi crowd who made outrageous claims, such as "the direction of twist" in their cables affecting the sound.
As a self-proclaimed audiophile, I can second this!!!
07-22-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

We're in the process of switching over to shooting with mirrorless cameras at work. We've been getting things in a piece at a time. The other day, our lenses showed up and one of the other videographers asked, "Where are the filters? Didn't you get filters to go on all of the lenses?" I said, "Uh oh...there's gonna be a fight."
07-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #73
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
We're in the process of switching over to shooting with mirrorless cameras at work. We've been getting things in a piece at a time. The other day, our lenses showed up and one of the other videographers asked, "Where are the filters? Didn't you get filters to go on all of the lenses?" I said, "Uh oh...there's gonna be a fight."
they can have these:

07-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #74
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Hi Tao

Keep the peace and take them off when you use the lens and replace it when done

Dave
07-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tao

Keep the peace and take them off when you use the lens and replace it when done

Dave
Agree, but I would say lenses for work need filters all the time. Generally people don't treat equipment they use but don't own the same as equipment they own.

Even if you are careful you don't want to be blamed for damaging the lens. Nobody will notice the difference in the output but will notice if you accidentally ruin the lens because you didn't have a filter on it.