Yes always 3827.74%
nah its the 21st century 9972.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am grateful that many people still think it's a good idea to protect their lenses with a filter because it ensures a good supply of used lenses that have not been sullied by ham handed cleaning techniques. Since I'm not a photo journalist called upon to regularly put my equipment in harm's way, for me, it would be irrational to use protective filters.

a. I know how to properly clean a lens without damaging it.
b. I try to buy good glass. To me. it makes no sense to pore over test results only to slap a foreign piece of glass on it. It can never help the optical quality. Imagine reviews comparing two lenses with the conclusion being that "withfilter" cost more, had 3% less light transmission and was susceptible to more flare than "nofilter." Which lens do you think the forums would recommend.
c. Filters should be high quality to minimize diminishing the optical quality of the system. Good filters are expensive and represent a high proportionate value of used lenses. They can easily cost 20% to 30% of the used lens's value. I'm careful enough to not damage a quarter of my lenses in a manner that a filter would have protected and a hood or lens cap would not.

06-25-2019, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as I was taught by my dad, yes

protects the front glass and the threads from being damaged if the lens is dropped or hit

but only during storage or transport

once I decide to take photos, it comes off with the lens cap

assuming no adverse conditions at that time.
06-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never have over 3 years of shooting.
06-25-2019, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #19

I'm with Mark, Alex, Mike and others on this. I keep a UV/Skylight filter on most (not all) and remove them when needed. I don't keep a filter on my DA kit lens because the more advanced coatings are less delicate and easier to keep clean.

I bought a beat up K1000 with a SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 lens attached (I bought it for the lens really). The lens had a UV filter that probably had not been removed since the day it was installed. The filter was dented, hazed over and scratched. The body of the lens had a film of dirt. After cleaning the body of the lens and removing the filter with the aid of a filter wrench the front element of the lens was spotless. It didn't even need cleaning and there were no cleaning marks on the coating.

I haven't voted on the poll because there is no "some but not all" option.

06-25-2019, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Never. They will always degrade image quality, and if there are any light-emitters in your frame it will produce artifacts. Then if you have to user a filter you actually need, like ND or CPL, that filter stacks and will be a reflection-hive spawning all kinds of strange artifacts and dots in your images.

I have dropped one of my lenses twice when I started shooting (poor beater-lens, he always gets the short end of the stick now), both times it had a filter and the filter gave its life for the lens. Both times were because of lazy support execution. I can imagine, for new shooters, to have a UV on for a while, but once you have even a little experience under your belt I'd take them off asap. Following good storage practices, cleaning procedures, and generally knowing what you're doing when shooting will prevent damage to the lens.

If I'm at the beach or in the mud/gravel/sand, I will use weather sealed lenses and bag the camera. A lens hood/matte box will keep 99% of anything dangerous away from the front element. For more casual shooting I will just use a cheaper body and beater lens that I don't care if it gets dirty.
06-25-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pepperberry, I'd take that stack of filters.

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 09:06 AM ----------

My favorite trick lately has been a 49mm to 37mm step-down ring with a 37mm UV filter fit inside the ring so that it doesn't protrude. I'm using those on the 50 and 55mm primes on my film cameras. A slip-on lens cap on the outside; the filter and ring act as both a minimal lens hood and a front element protector. Works great for when I don't want to mess with a lens cap and need to get a camera out quickly; the cap stays in the bag until the evening is over.
06-25-2019, 07:40 AM - 3 Likes   #22
dbs
Pentaxian

Nope

Yes to always a lens hood though

06-25-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nope

Yes to always a lens hood though
+1. This is what I do now. In the past, many years ago; I always used a filter, but with the excellent hoods, not anymore.
06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replys will think more about it. The metal lens hoods which 1s what from Amazon / ebay?
06-25-2019, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are on all my lenses...but only for protection. They give me the ability to clean my "lens" without worry about scratches from whatever cloth I have at the moment - even my shirt/blouse - if need be. Because of a drop here and there, I prefer to have water spots on a "filter" instead of leaving a minute calcium deposit on my lens. Since I also put lenses on top of each other in various bags and cases, it gives me a sense of security that if a lens cap comes off en route to something, then only the "filter" is scratched or damaged. They have nothing to do with UV filtering, and everything to do with protection for me.
06-25-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
They are on all my lenses...but only for protection. They give me the ability to clean my "lens" without worry about scratches from whatever cloth I have at the moment - even my shirt/blouse - if need be.
I have cleaned or dried the UV filter on many a lens with the cuff or tail of my shirt, or the fleeced lining of my jacket
06-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #27

Original Poster
The only reason why I use a UV filter is for protection ie dust scratches / drops etc
06-25-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always. Not sure where everyone shoots that's so clean, but I always end up with something on my front element, and I'd rather clean a filter than the lens. At the point I'm putting something on the lens, I go for UV instead of clear because sometimes I think it does improve the shot - I do a lot around water, and it does seem to help with haze. I am a stickler for quality though, and have settled on the B+W XS Pro MRC Nano series. If shooting into the light, the filter might come off, but otherwise not.
06-25-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always, but not a UV filter. Usually use a Skylight/warming filter for colour shooting or a coloured contrast filter for B&W film.

I use either Pentax SMC or Schneider B+W MRC filters.

Phil.
06-25-2019, 09:18 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some folks might be interested in this UV filter article: Lens Rentals | Blog