Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: UV filter on all lens
Yes always 3827.74%
nah its the 21st century 9972.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Sometimes (but that's not a poll option). If the front element is recessed and/or there is an integral hood (e.g. the DA Limiteds) I don't bother with a fllter. But if it reaches the front of the barrel I add a UV filter to keep my careless fingers off the lens. I would rather clean my dirty fingerprints off the filter rather than off the lens. If there is any image degradation caused by a multi-coated filter, it is imperceptible to me.

Philip

06-25-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #32
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
The only reason why I use a UV filter is for protection ie dust scratches / drops etc
A valid reason. I'm not using filters for protection, though. My reasoning is as follows; slapping a cheap filter on an expensive lens will probably not improve quality. Putting expensive filters on all my lenses will end up to be, well, expensive. So, I'll save the "insurance money" and just take the hit should I one day ruin a lens' front element. After a few decades without any such incident I think I'm ahead
06-25-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

I use UV filters on just one lens, with a picture of which lens I work and why it is UV on it, I must use the lens hood to protect it on other lenses, in this particular case, and from the enclosed it can be seen that the lens hood is not enough, that is my opinion and experience with which I am satisfied, this lens was on the APSC Pentax camera and now on FF, I recommend in the same conditions on other lenses
with an internal focus without adequate front lens / glass, I do not have expensive lenses, and I have to protect this :

there is a UV filter placed on it (not noticeable) :

viewed from the side it looks like this :

when focusing and changing lens range without UV filters looks like this (the inner part of a lot of walk) :

eg. protection with no original lens hood:

Last edited by mbukal; 06-25-2019 at 11:22 AM.
06-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to, as protection. Not against bumps, but against me. I tended to "clean" my front lens with my not always so clean t-shirt, and thought it would be easier to replace a filter than a lens when it got too worn. There i some point to it, I've got an A* 85mm that is thirtyfive years old and the front lens is still witout even the tiniest scratch.
But after discovering the difference in IQ (flare) with and without the extra glass when shooting shows in theatres, I quit using them and try to abstain from "cleaning" my lenses with the t-shirt. So far it goes all right, and there is less flare.

Kjell

06-25-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi I guess its a hold over from the old film days I always put a UV filter on my lens basical lens protection ( saved me more than once) . I was just wondering how many people ut there do the same or not? thanks
I have UV filters or Clear Multi Coated filters for each one of my lenses. I almost always remove them with shooting except in severe adverse weather conditions.
Every the best of my UV/Clears filters (B&W, Hoya, and Sigma) you do see some IQ differences, and that's why I remove them when I can.
Also since I started with my first SLR, Canon AE-1 back in 1982, its hard to give up the habit. The filters are mainly only for protection.
06-25-2019, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
never - I have a stack of them here if anybody wants 'em....
Not interested in the filters themselves, but I'd love to see some shots with all of those on a single lens into the sun or other hard light sources
06-25-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use them for protection only on virtually all lenses, with exception of macro, which have deeply recessed front elements. As per IQ, I observed negligible loss in case of telephoto.

06-25-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #38
Inactive Account

Thanks all for the replys will think more about it. The metal lens hoods which 1s what from Amazon / ebay?
Ebay is cheaper in my opnion. If time is not your concern, order with eBay from China and don’t bother paying more for fast/express shipping. I try that before and it still takes almost a month from China/ Hongkong to Tokyo. (normal shipping take 4-10 weeks!) I send lens using express service to forum members in the USA and it usually takes 4 - 7 days. China is like next door to Japan. I guess they use sailboat option when ship? I don’t know, lol
I just get a rectangle lens hood for my DA21, and it looks good. My fingers often poke into the da21's stock-hood and touch the glass, that’s why I brought a longer hood for the 21mm. I feel more secure using one hand to cover over the lens hood when walk. Or clasp the camera between body and lower arm because I walk in the crowed street of Tokyo a lot. I found it is the best protection possible.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 06-25-2019 at 05:02 PM.
06-25-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I use them for physical protection. I sometimes photograph in rain (where you have to wipe the lens constantly) or sand/salt, and sometimes have the camera swing into an object where the filter gets scratched. And yes I almost always use a rigid hood and still manage to scratch the filter. Cleaning/wiping is much easier on a filter vs. a rounded front element. If there's a situation with backlight, etc. I might take the filter off, but I know if I don't leave it on by default, I won't remember to add it when I need it.
06-26-2019, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have filters on all my film era lenses as the only modern len I have is the DFA24-70/2.8.

I have damaged 2 filters when I started out with DSLRs and the OPTech strap broke and camera and lens fell flat on the front element. Thankfully I had the filter and only had to replace filters only.
06-26-2019, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Yes I do put them on, I'm one of those overly nervous types.
06-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm with metal... unless there's no hood of some kind. I'm yet to have any lens get scratched in this way... ever! Even when my 28-75 snapped at the filter thread (a student opened my bag, and it hit the floor and the crack went all the way around) where the front element was exposed on the end, it hasn't scratched yet (gave to brother's wife). Now a CPL, that's a different story. They don't always go on, but a CPL is pretty useful. The 77mm CPL (now that I got my 24-70, I wish it was 82) and a ND filter kit (it's a cheaper end one though) are the only things that go on the front of my lenses. I'm currently looking into getting a variable ND filter... suggestions welcomed!
06-29-2019, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have nearly complete sets of 49mm, 52mm and 58mm SMC, B&W or Schneider colored filters left over from film days but other than for Black and White they see little use now. I never use a filter for general protection, but I always mount the hood.
06-30-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Hi I guess its a hold over from the old film days I always put a UV filter on my lens basical lens protection ( saved me more than once) . I was just wondering how many people ut there do the same or not? thanks
Never, don't even own one. I use careful storage techniques (during travel etc.) and a short lens hood if I feel I need more protection than great care in storage, handling and usage. Have never had a problem.
06-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to make an effort to find a UV filter for every lens I own/purchase, but not any more. I rely on the lens hood for protection instead, except may be for one lens, the DA 12-24/f4 lens. This lens has a bulging front lens element and when I bought it used, it comes with a large 77mm UV filter, So, for that one, I leave it on all the time.