View Poll Results: UV filter on all lens
Yes always 3827.74%
nah its the 21st century 9972.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 87 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For years, I've bought, tested, and sold lots of lenses. I've bought many with bad front elements, that likely would have been pristine had the owner kept a protect filter on them. Some were bad enough that I replaced the front element on the lens.

Currently, I've got 3 expensive adapted lenses (each about $2,000). You better believe that they've each got both the best protect filter and a metal hood on them.

For my dozens of cheap lenses... I can afford to loose/destroy them; so I don't bother putting on an expensive lens protect filter.

So, it really all boils down to, "what can you afford to loose?"

06-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the UV filter not to keep the UV from blowing out the sky, making it a deeper blue?
06-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the UV filter not to keep the UV from blowing out the sky, making it a deeper blue?
You're right, but my understanding is that the DSLR sensor incorporates UV filtration, so no additional filter is needed on the front of the lens.
06-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I'm guessing many SLR lenses in the film era had some degree of UV filtration built-in. It was advertised as a feature of the Topcon leaf-shutter SLR (Auto 100 and Unirex in the U.S.) lenses in the 1960s.

06-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes always, but I do remove it for some shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm guessing many SLR lenses in the film era had some degree of UV filtration built-in. It was advertised as a feature of the Topcon leaf-shutter SLR (Auto 100 and Unirex in the U.S.) lenses in the 1960s.
For color, a polarizer is usually the best for bluer skies. With film, the UV gives me better contrast and darker grey tones with black and white.

It should also be noted that plain glass blocks 98-99% of UVB (affects skin tanning or skin damage) whereas it only block about 25% of UVA (near the visible spectrum that affects exposures in film). Multicoated glass would reduce this further but a UV filter would cut 80-99% of the UVA.

For digital, I'd recommend a multicoated clear filter for protection purposes if needed, as UV does not affect the sensor, but you will lose a few percent of light transmission with a UV filter.
07-01-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Yep, use them but I am only talking film camera lenses. Its an old habit and save the lens from getting a smack and being damaged. Cheaper to replace a filter than a lens. I take them off for critical shots sometimes.
Only use them on the better glass where a bump may be costly. Like most old timers I was raised to be frugal and to look after stuff.
07-02-2019, 03:18 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't use them on the majority of my lenses. My wife did purchase high quality ones (B & W) for the zooms she uses for wedding photography. The issue is mainly being able to clean the front element of the lens quickly without worrying about scratching it. Any serious impact probably wouldn't just damage the UV filter, but the lens itself as well.

My experience is that with cheap filters they add major flare issues and they just need to come off if shooting strong light sources. Top end filters don't have this issue, but they are quite expensive -- talking 80 dollars for a B & W 82 mm multicoated UV filter like we have on the DFA 24-70.

07-02-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #53
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

No, almost always. I certainly use them as protection against blowing sand and salt water spray. Places like the beach. Sensors already have UV-IR cutoff filtering, and I've noticed little effect with a UV filter, except with my full-spectrum K-5. I suppose clear "protection filters" are adequate for my standard usage.
07-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I install a clear filter, sometimes a UV filter on some of my lenses. Mostly for protection. If I'm using a filter, I always use a top quality filter, mostly B&H. No point using a poor filter over an excellent lens, is there. But some I don't some lenses I can't install a filter...so I don't worry about it. I've experimented a bit...filter-less and with filter with some of my lenses. I can't tell the difference, but then I use quality filter, when I do use them.

I recently installed a B&H filter onto the GH-3 Adapter for my Ricoh GR ll. Reason is some experience dust getting on the sensor. I haven't yet...touch wood...but I thought I would attempt to lessen the likelihood of this happening by installing the adapter and filter over the lens. We will see.

I tested before and after and as before, can't see the difference. With the Ricoh GR ll, I'm using a B+W filter. I also use an old screw mount 49mm metal Ashai Pentax lens cap to cover the adapter/filter. It's a little worse for wear, but adds 'character' to the new camera.

I did drop my K10D a few feet with a B+W filter on the lens. The camera fell hitting the edge of the lens. Thankfully both camera and lens were ok, but the B+W filter absorbed the hit and although the glass was ok, the metal part of the filter had a bit of a scrunch. I was a lucky guy.
07-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am old school so yes I still use filters to protect the front element. Back in the day I used Skylight filters but today I use UV because they're relatively inexpensive. They can cause unwanted effects like refractions and reflections so probably best not to use them at night. Just my ¢¢.
07-02-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For color, a polarizer is usually the best for bluer skies. With film, the UV gives me better contrast and darker grey tones with black and white.

It should also be noted that plain glass blocks 98-99% of UVB (affects skin tanning or skin damage) whereas it only block about 25% of UVA (near the visible spectrum that affects exposures in film). Multicoated glass would reduce this further but a UV filter would cut 80-99% of the UVA.

For digital, I'd recommend a multicoated clear filter for protection purposes if needed, as UV does not affect the sensor, but you will lose a few percent of light transmission with a UV filter.
LensRentals addressed this here, but didn't seem to find a pattern of more or less transmission for clear vs. UV filters:

Lens Rentals | Blog
07-04-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For street photography on a smallish prime? Probably not. But most of my photography is shot outdoors, in the rainy Pacific Northwest, often on the beach with sea spray and blowing sand. Not only is a UV filter cheap and easy to replace, should it come to that, but it's also FAR easier to clean, especially if all I need is a quick wipe to get water droplets off for the next shot.
07-04-2019, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
For street photography on a smallish prime? Probably not. But most of my photography is shot outdoors, in the rainy Pacific Northwest, often on the beach with sea spray and blowing sand. Not only is a UV filter cheap and easy to replace, should it come to that, but it's also FAR easier to clean, especially if all I need is a quick wipe to get water droplets off for the next shot.
Yup. 100%!
07-05-2019, 02:40 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never !
07-05-2019, 03:36 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I use them for protection. I would have had my lens scratched last Holy Week 2016 if I didn't have it on. A curious child who was about 5 years old pricked my lens with a barbecue stick. I think the kid scratch my filter but not my lens. Thanks for the filter.