Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

Help Me Understand What Vintage Stuff I Have!

I have used a Kr for the last 5 or so years as a recreational/hobbyist photographer, and when an ad came up in the local paper for a collection of older Pentax equipment, I pounced. The lot was listed by a former professional who was moving and clearing out his old gear. All in for everything listed below was $425.

The bodies show some signs of use, but judging by my untrained eye, the glass looks to be in great shape. No fuzziness, fungus, dents, scrapes, or bruises are anywhere to be found. All of the moving parts are smooth and precise.

I am a 100% amateur and frankly don’t have an in depth understanding of what I bought, which is where I'm hoping you all can help me!

My trusty Kr is showing its age after MANY hard and fun miles, and I was beginning to think about a used K-1 Mark 1. After some other advice on the forum and the acquisition of this glass, it seems like a K-1 is in my future!

I apologize in advance if I get the nomenclature or numbering incorrect, I will happily edit the post with corrections and/or additional information.

Bodies:
Program Plus
ME Super
LX

Lenses:
Gemini MC Auto 28mm- f2.8
2x SMC Pentax-M 50mm- f2
Sigma Super Wide II24mm - f2.8 - A aperture setting
Vivitar 75-205mm -f3.5
Seikanon 75-200mm -f4.5
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm- f4 - A aperture setting
Tokina AT-X100-300mm - f4 - A aperture setting
SMC Pentax 500mm -f4.5
Vivitar 2x macrofocusing teleconverter

Other stuff:
Tons of filters andpolarizers
3 bags
Tripod
Monopod
2 flashes
Light ring
Cleaning and maintenance supplies and accessories.

I have a couple of basic questions:

First, am I an idiot who didn't know what he was buying, or did I score? (confirmation bias is a heckuva drug)
Are any of these lenses particularly notable performers? (I have really enjoyed fooling around with the wide angles and the 300mm A* on my Kr)
Do any of these lenses require particular care or maintenance beyond what can be found by Googling 'how to care for old lenses'?

Thank you all in advance, and I do apologize for my naiveté

Last edited by cmadigan; 06-27-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
06-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

You're definitely not an idiot. I paid a little bit more than that for a nice copy of just the 500mm not too long ago. I don't know all the lenses in detail, but my advice is to shoot with each for a while, and sell the stuff you don't use.
06-25-2019, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dude, you scored!
06-25-2019, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmadigan Quote
I have used a Kr for the last 5 or so years as a recreational/hobbyist photographer, and when an ad came up in the local paper for a collection of older Pentax equipment, I pounced. The lot was listed by a former professional who was moving and clearing out his old gear. All in for everything listed below was $425.

The bodies show some signs of use, but judging by my untrained eye, the glass looks to be in great shape. No fuzziness, fungus, dents, scrapes, or bruises are anywhere to be found. All of the moving parts are smooth and precise.

I am a 100% amateur and frankly don’t have an in depth understanding of what I bought, which is where I'm hoping you all can help me!

My trusty Kr is showing its age after MANY hard and fun miles, and I was beginning to think about a used K-1 Mark 1. After some other advice on the forum and the acquisition of this glass, it seems like a K-1 is in my future!

I apologize in advance if I get the nomenclature or numbering incorrect, I will happily edit the post with corrections and/or additional information.

Bodies:
Program Plus
ME Super
LX

Lenses:
Gemini MC Auto 28mm- f2.8
2x SMC Pentax-M 50mm- f2.8
Sigma Super Wide II24mm - f2.8 - A aperture setting
Vivitar 75-205mm -f3.5
Seikanon 75-200mm -f4.5
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm- f4 - A aperture setting
Tokina AT-X100-300mm - f4 - A aperture setting
SMC Pentax 500mm -f4.5
Vivitar 2x macrofocusing teleconverter

Other stuff:
Tons of filters andpolarizers
3 bags
Tripod
Monopod
2 flashes
Light ring
Cleaning and maintenance supplies and accessories.

I have a couple of basic questions:

First, am I an idiot who didn't know what he was buying, or did I score? (confirmation bias is a heckuva drug)
Are any of these lenses particularly notable performers? (I have really enjoyed fooling around with the wide angles and the 300mm A* on my Kr)
Do any of these lenses require particular care or maintenance beyond what can be found by Googling 'how to care for old lenses'?

Thank you all in advance, and I do apologize for my naiveté
Assuming the stuff is in decent condition and fully working, definitely a good score. Well more than $425 worth of stuff there. The biggest prizes are the LX, the 300/4, the 500/4.5. Then the Tokina 100-300/4, along with the Sigma 24 You could resell just those items for triple what you paid for the whole lot easy. (Again, assuming there is nothing wrong with them.)

06-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I more or less gave the gentleman I bought everything from my word that I wouldn't turn around and sell the gear. I think he was very excited that a younger person was interested in using his collection to become better at photography and pursue his greatest passion.

I imagine a fair amount of this equipment was made before I was born
06-25-2019, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming the glass are in good condition (without haze, without fungus, coatings ok, aperture blades fine etc).

I will have grabbed this entire lot even if it be going for USD800-900.

The LX, the A* 300mm, the 500 prime and the Tokina 100-300 f4, these four alone, will already be good enough even if all else are duds or half-duds.

I can only look on in envy

Last edited by termy; 06-25-2019 at 09:09 PM.
06-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Forum from Australia!
Regards,
Gordon.
06-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You got some really good stuff at a very good price indeed, so no need to worry there. I'm intrigued by the M 50mm f/2.8 though, as there's no such lens.
06-25-2019, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You got some really good stuff at a very good price indeed, so no need to worry there. I'm intrigued by the M 50mm f/2.8 though, as there's no such lens.
Hi,

I would do a like, but there is no like icon, which occurs for me from time to time!

Regards,
Gordon.
06-25-2019, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I paid almost $425 for my M*300/4 alone. A* star is an auto aperture version of the same lens and should be worth more. On K1 good from wide open:

Wide open

Wide open

f11

f11

M50/2.8 is a typo as there is no such lens. You should recheck whats written on the lens.

Don't have experience on others, so can't comment on those.
06-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I would do a like, but there is no like icon, which occurs for me from time to time!

Regards,
Gordon.
I just had to like your message, sorry
Try refresh the page if there are parts missing. Thought I haven't had any problems with firefox. Don't know which browser you are using.
06-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You really got a good deal.

If the LX still works, you have one the greats of the film era. It it needs repair, that can be tricky. Spares are getting scarce.

The A* 300mm is just wonderful as well.

There was no M 50mm f/2.8. The closes would be f/2. Or perhaps the f/4 macro. There was an A 50mm f/2.8 macro. Please tell us what your typo was.
06-25-2019, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Any Pentax * lens covers your expense, I believe. Well done! if any of the others look bad just make them into beer mugs
06-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'll give ya 426 dollars for it!