Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yibahh Quote
Hello everyone,

I am looking to acquire my first macro prime lens, as macro photography has been attracting me more and more these past years. I currently have the possibility to purchase either the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG or the Pentax D-FA 100mm WR for the same price.

- And one last completely subjective question, if given the choice between the two of the them, which of those lenses would you have?

Thanks a lot !
For the same price the two letters WR would seal it for me. I had the Pentax D-FA 100mm WR several years ago and it was an excellent lens, but sold it for lack of use and I wanted to use funds for a DA 300. Since then I found good deals on a Sigma 50 macro (manual focus) and a Tamron 90, both of which are very good. I've never used the Sigma 70 soI can't comment on it, but again, I would go for the Pentax because of the weather sealing.

06-29-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I think yibahh meant that a 100mm lens on a APS-C camera gives the same field of view on the sensor as a 150mm lens on a full-frame camera like the K-1. So while a 100mm lens was considered portrait length on a 35mm film camera (or on the K-1), it starts to get into the 'telephoto' category on a crop sensor camera.
That's exactly what I meant, thank you !

Thank you all for sharing your point of view.

A 50mm macro is not in the list of options for me as I already own a Pentax M 50mm (no macro), often find it too short and thus rarely use it. I'm really looking for something more of a telephoto focal lenght, from 70mm and up.

I think I am more and more convinced of following my first instinct and buy the 100mm WR. Indeed the WR is very good point (coupled with the weather sealing of the K-5ii, I'd be invincible, ahah ), and the construction quality and compactness of the lens just seem amazing. I have no doubt about the IQ that can offer both the Sigma 70mm and the Pentax 100mm; the choice really lies in the handling and the focal lenght...
Then again, if the 100mm focal lenght reveals itself to be too long for landscape or portrait use, I could always buy the Pentax 70mm later. But for the macro use, 100mm would surely be the best options.
06-29-2019, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yibahh Quote
That's exactly what I meant, thank you !

Thank you all for sharing your point of view.

A 50mm macro is not in the list of options for me as I already own a Pentax M 50mm (no macro), often find it too short and thus rarely use it. I'm really looking for something more of a telephoto focal lenght, from 70mm and up.

I think I am more and more convinced of following my first instinct and buy the 100mm WR. Indeed the WR is very good point (coupled with the weather sealing of the K-5ii, I'd be invincible, ahah ), and the construction quality and compactness of the lens just seem amazing. I have no doubt about the IQ that can offer both the Sigma 70mm and the Pentax 100mm; the choice really lies in the handling and the focal lenght...
Then again, if the 100mm focal lenght reveals itself to be too long for landscape or portrait use, I could always buy the Pentax 70mm later. But for the macro use, 100mm would surely be the best options.
As I said before, now that I own both, I wouldn't sell either of them. But, I also wouldn't go out shooting with both of them. (Unless I was doing some sort or FF/APS-c comparison.) Something like the DA 70 might fit better in the camera bag, if you're looking for a 70 and don't need macro because you have the 100 in your bag.
06-29-2019, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100 WR would be my pick. PLENTY of working distance and not only is it WR, it's also built like a tank. IMO, this is a lens that could be called "the limited lens that wasn't". Probably the sharpest lens in my kit.