Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Full Frame Fisheye Zoom F and 43 Limited on K5D (Sample Photos)

I have posted 42 large size (2048 x 1365) sample photos at my following photo gallery:-

RiceHigh/FF Fisheye and 43 Limited on 5D - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With full remarks and explanations on the shooting settings, conditions, field performance and accuracies of the system and the final attained image quality etc. in below:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Sample Photos of Full Frame Fisheye and 43 Limited on 5D

Enjoy! and happy measurebations (just in case! ;-))

I hope my samples, information and experiences shared could be useful and serve as a good reference to all you folks who have a (Pentax) Full Frame dream!

10-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

curious why you decided to shoot jpeg, mainly because as a measurebator you would want to measure the best, no?
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Simple reasons.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
curious why you decided to shoot jpeg, mainly because as a measurebator you would want to measure the best, no?
The direct jpeg output quality of the 5D is actually very high already. Furthermore, the camera is quite accurate and reliable in metering so that no post processing (raw conversion) is required to rectify the errors. The colour balance is not always "the white is better" but it usually matches my eyes well for the ambient scenes, so one less reasons to shoot RAW. Also, I know what manual WB to be chosen from if I just wanted the desired effect.

RAW conversion is time-consuming and troublesome IMHO. I used to sit in front of the PC to correct errors and rectify problem and then wait the computer to preview, calculate and output and then save, which is a process that can be avoided if it is possible (and with my 5D, it is possible!).

With saving both time and storage, I think it worths (as long as it works!).
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

next question, reading your words i am to assume that you modified your 5d to allow for kmount lenses

or did you simply follow steven's guide and modified the lenses to fit an eos mount?

also, as i can barely muster some japanese, traditional chinese is way beyond me, is there an english version of those texts somewhere?

10-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The direct jpeg output quality of the 5D is actually very high already. Furthermore, the camera is quite accurate and reliable in metering so that no post processing (raw conversion) is required to rectify the errors. The colour balance is not always "the white is better" but it usually matches my eyes well for the ambient scenes, so one less reasons to shoot RAW. Also, I know what manual WB to be chosen from if I just wanted the desired effect.

RAW conversion is time-consuming and troublesome IMHO. I used to sit in front of the PC to correct errors and rectify problem and then wait the computer to preview, calculate and output and then save, which is a process that can be avoided if it is possible (and with my 5D, it is possible!).

With saving both time and storage, I think it worths (as long as it works!).
Rice dude you have just placed your self in the "ignore any statement this person makes" category, permanently! to come in here and say there is no point in shooting raw on a 5D the jpgs are good enough! Trust me I have shot with the 5D and the raw makes a difference and any true photographer worth their salt knows this, to say otherwise and claim it takes too long just.... ok let me stop now as this is really pointless reasoning with you..
10-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Rice dude you have just placed your self in the "ignore any statement this person makes" category, permanently! to come in here and say there is no point in shooting raw on a 5D the jpgs are good enough! Trust me I have shot with the 5D and the raw makes a difference and any true photographer worth their salt knows this, to say otherwise and claim it takes too long just.... ok let me stop now as this is really pointless reasoning with you..
actualy if you have a camera that meters and white balances correctly, and you are not planning on cropping, re-framing, or running your image through photoshop or digital filters, there truly is no point in shooting RAW (unless you want that extra dynamic range in super bright or super dark conditions)

i shoot raw because rarely do i nail the exposure correctly, blame the camera or blame me, i dont know, i'm still working on that, RAW allows me save alot of otherwise throw away images.

also i like to screw around with my pictures alot, running them through different conversions for fun, so i need RAW for that.

this post is not about RAW vs jpeg, that was simply my personal question to RH.

this post is about using a 5D and pentax glass.

i suggest you keep RH bashing and bandwaggoning to a minimum here.
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i too am glad that you're taking pictures and they seemed to turn out pretty well. i liked your dragonboat set too, it looked better than the ones that I had tried to take before. but w/ dragonboat, i didn't have a problem with AF-C with the AF point left of center and then snapping away.

i think sometimes the criticism you get is undue, but othertimes your criticism of the AF is too much. but your main gripe about AF performance is definitely justified. i just shot a roll with my MZ-5n and it's much snappier than my K100D. i hope a Kx0D body can solve that problem but i'm waiting to see what Pentax is offering in the K3? series

however stuff like this from Don Allison on dpr who was one of the staunchest critics of the K10D af saying that the K20D is great does show great promise
OMG....Was I WRONG???? ...has the AF improved with the K20D: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i too am glad that you're taking pictures and they seemed to turn out pretty well. i liked your dragonboat set too, it looked better than the ones that I had tried to take before.
Thanks.

QuoteQuote:
i think sometimes the criticism you get is undue, but othertimes your criticism of the AF is too much. but your main gripe about AF performance is definitely justified. i just shot a roll with my MZ-5n and it's much snappier than my K100D. i hope a Kx0D body can solve that problem but i'm waiting to see what Pentax is offering in the K3? series
Another thing: My experience with the K10D's continuous AF simply won't work with continuous frame shooting mode. The C-AF only did once and then the camera fries off continously at 3 fps OR if Single AF is chosen, it focuses and re-focus per frame but then the frame rate is much lower then. But, why not C-AF and Continuous frames advance at the *same* time?