Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

SMC Pentax 28-90 3.5-5.6 Lens

Hello, I got what I hope was a good deal on a lens for my wife's K-70. My question has to do with the rear lens area. On all of the other SLR and DSLR lenses that I have used the rear lens opening is round. My new lens appears to have an adapter shaped like the Wide Screen TVs.

I have attached a picture of the rear of this lens. The engraved name of my lens is SMC Pentax FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-90 focusing Infinity - .4 M/1.3 ft.

Can somebody please tell me what that plate is for, and if I need to remove this for normal photo shooting purposes. I am sorry for how unexperienced we are, but everybody needs to start someplace and I would sooner look foolish with an elementary question than hurt her camera or have one of her first sessions ruined because I left something on that I should have removed.

Attached Images

06-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a light baffle and it's a totally normal part of the lens. The baffle prevents stray light from getting into the camera and fogging the picture. So don't try to remove it.

Enjoy your new (old) lens!
06-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought one of those by accident* and used it for a while. It should work just fine. Many of the first versions of K mount lenses have a similar light baffle, but it wasn't common later. This lens was one of the first with a plastic mount, and it looks like they made the mount and baffle out of one piece.

*late nights looking at eBay, thinking it was the more desirable FA 24-90
06-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's a light baffle and it's a totally normal part of the lens. The baffle prevents stray light from getting into the camera and fogging the picture. So don't try to remove it.

Enjoy your new (old) lens!
Thank you for helping me out.

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I bought one of those by accident* and used it for a while. It should work just fine. Many of the first versions of K mount lenses have a similar light baffle, but it wasn't common later. This lens was one of the first with a plastic mount, and it looks like they made the mount and baffle out of one piece.

*late nights looking at eBay, thinking it was the more desirable FA 24-90
Thank you for helping me out. We are still in that walking on eggshells phase when we see something strange.