Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Pentax 67 look with a 35mm lens?

I love the "look" (colors, contrast, texture, sharpness (not too much or too little), quality of background blur, and subject isolation) that I get with Portra 400 on my Pentax 67.

I was wondering, are any vintage Pentax 35mm lenses that will give me a similar look if adapted to full-frame digital? I've attached a snapshot taken with my 67 that has the qualities I really like.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
07-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Firstly - nice shot.

Portra 160/400/800 are all great films. You could try the 17mm fisheye lens (M42 Takumar og K-mount) on FF digital. Should have about the same field of view - though the aspect ratio is a bit different compared to 6x7. Many Takumars and Pentax K lenses are quite good even on digital.
07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

I don't think ANYTHING besides a 67 gives anywhere near the same "3D pop" feeling of depth. But if anyone else knows of anything in 35mm that even approaches the 67 in this regard, I would love to know!

---------- Post added 07-02-19 at 01:45 PM ----------

Just a thought but I think your best bet would be to try adapting the 67 lenses to full frame digital. I know there are some adapters out there that do this.
07-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lporrel Quote
I love the "look" (colors, contrast, texture, sharpness (not too much or too little), quality of background blur, and subject isolation) that I get with Portra 400 on my Pentax 67.

I was wondering, are any vintage Pentax 35mm lenses that will give me a similar look if adapted to full-frame digital? I've attached a snapshot taken with my 67 that has the qualities I really like.
Not exactly of course, but closest i've seen is the K 50 1.2. Maybe the FA Ltds. Occasionally the old 8 element 50 1.4 takumar can pull it off.

07-02-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As compared to which focal length for 6x7?

Steve
07-02-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I donít have a sample handy on my phone, but 35mm f2.0 can do things like that...

I have a Super Multicoated Takumar in M42, but you can get the new version, well, new...

Or the 31 Ltd...

-Eric
07-02-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestion only: I like Portra films in P67 for the same reasons you are hooked. I use APS-C (K3ii) with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton lens and get similar results. Assumes some attention to lighting and composition plus post-processing. The same lens works well on my various PK film bodies, and Portra is a staple film for me. Depending on lens focal length preference, you may want to look for something in a 50~90mm for FF.
07-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread is about getting that look. It's not the lens but stitching to take advantage of longer focal lengths shallower depth of field.
Brenizer Method photos - PentaxForums.com

07-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
45 f4 and 90 2.8
07-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Steve
45 f4 and 90 2.8
Please, letís not start another crop factor and equivalence of focal lengths and apertures discussion

Seriously though every format had a specific look, and also cost.

By all accounts the 6x7 was a great camera, but in the end it fell to the smaller 645 format cameras due somewhat to compactness and also the cost to process, per frame exposed

I have not worked out the equivalence for the OPs shot but I think the same effect could be achieved, but perhaps a little more attention to the background distance.
07-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Please, let’s not start another crop factor and equivalence of focal lengths and apertures discussion
Excellent idea! I shoot 6x7 film on occasion and whether one gets the so-called "medium format look" depends heavily on subject, background, focal length, relative distances, and DOF. These tend to come together coincidentally, but when seeking to reproduce a particular look in this case is helped by knowing whether we are working at the wide or long end at the very least.

As for FOV, depth-of-blur, perspectives, and such...that is such a mixed bag when attempting to compare 7:6 ratio to 6:4 (duh)! A direct application of crop factor is meaningless unless working from an initial in-camera crop to 1:1, maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Seriously though every format had a specific look, and also cost.
Yep! If one needs a larger format, it is generally easiest and less frustrating to simply shoot the larger format.

FWIW...I have gotten results similar to the example photo in the OP using my FA 35/2 on 35mm film, but I would not characterize the lens as producing "medium format look" as an overall characteristic.

Steve
07-04-2019, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for FOV, depth-of-blur, perspectives, and such...that is such a mixed bag when attempting to compare 7:6 ratio to 6:4 (duh)! A direct application of crop factor is meaningless unless working from an initial in-camera crop to 1:1, maybe.
It seems getting close to the subject is part of lporrel's desired look. Just for an indication, to think about possible lenses: If you assume to crop the K-1 picture to 7:6-Format, to achieve the 6x7 90mm lens field-of-view on a K-1, you need a focal length of 90mm / 56mm * 24mm, about 39mm. Half of it for the 45mm.

The background blur is a bit whirly in the picture above and it seems to have significant field curvature, likely contributing to the look. Out of my experience, in that focal length range, I would try the 31mm LTD (I don't have the 43mm). Not exactly vintage, but from film days. The already meantioned FA 35mm is indeed another candidate. Both render with higher contrast and can provide good subject isolation in similar shooting conditions. To manage tonal scale and colors, there are good profiles available, e.g. the HaldCLUT Portra emulation ones for Rawtherapee which can take you a long way without a lot of work. Texture-wise, you may already like what you get without much post-processing.

Going a bit narrower, the picture above somehow reminds me of the Helios-44M-4. Definitely a vintage construction, but with 58mm quite a bit narrower, so shooting habits with respect to foreground/background relation would need to be different.
07-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Lens focal length is definitely a major factor in getting a perspective having a certain degree of 3-D effect. I am not certain of the FL used in the example above, or the aperture used, although it would seem to be the 90mm lens. The 3-D effect as I am seeing here stems mainly from using an aperture that blurs the background considerably, but not enough to make it unrecognizable.

On a FF body, the FA 43mm will provide a "normal" front to back perspective at most normal shooting distances, and has enough aperture for a good choice in background blur. The three FA Limiteds especially on a FF body are known for having 3-D pop.

I got a similar effect to the example above in a portrait shot of a friend while we were walking a trail in some wooded hills, which was my very first shot after acquiring my FA 77mm Limited lens. He said it was the best portrait ever taken of him, even by professional studios. It was on 35mm film, but I cannot recall offhand which film. I seem to remember the shot taken at f/4.5, which with the distance of the trees behind the subject rendered them somewhat blurred but recognizable, while he stood out from the background.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-04-2019 at 01:02 PM.
07-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've achieved images that are somewhat similar to what the OP shared with my K-5 II and Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG.

M 50 1.7 is pretty nice on 35mm film and might fit the bill here.
07-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've achieved images that are somewhat similar to what the OP shared with my K-5 II and Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG.

M 50 1.7 is pretty nice on 35mm film and might fit the bill here.
The perspective and FOV of your 28mm Sigma lens would be similar on your K-5 II to my 77mm Limited lens on my 35mm film body.