Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

My telephoto combination for my K-3:
55-300 PLM
DA*300
DFA 100 macro WR
1.4X Teleconverter which I use on the DFA 100 and the DA*300
The PLM is a super lightweight telephoto zoom that can be carried easily everywhere. If I have the capability for carrying heavier gear such as on car trips, I bring the the DA*300 and the teleconverter. This combo covers 55 to 420mm, is silent focusing and weather resistant. If cost difference is not an issue the DA* 60-250 is another great choice. The DFA 100 macro is very lightweight and super sharp. I considered the new DFA 150 - 450 but the cost was out of my budget and it was bigger than what I would want to carry around.

07-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that she provided no other information I'd suggest starting with the DA 55-300 PLM.
But I'd go with the DA* 60-250 before the 300 ƒ4, just because it does so much more.

Walking with a 300 is just asking for lens changes.
The 1.4 also works with the DA* 60-250.
Also if indoor shooting is a thing, the DA* 50-135 or DA* 200 may be required.

But despite owning the 100 macro, DA* 60-250, DA* 200, Tamron 300 2.8 the DA 55-300 PLM is my most used. I'd buy it first, and buy something else if I found I needed something faster.

If I know I need faster , then the DA* 60-250 would be my next choice.
07-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
But I was going off your suggestion😁
But it was best telephoto.... it still has to be a telephoto.
Sheesh, do I have to explain everything?
07-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomom2 Quote
Can you make a recommendation on a telephoto lens for my k3? Thank you!
The 55-300 PLM is a good general purpose telephoto. It focuses quickly and has good optical quality. It can work well for outdoor sports in daylight, wildlife, etc. The price is reasonable for what it does.

The Pentax 70-200 is a more expensive option. It has less zoom range, but offers f2.8 when shooting in dimmer light or if you want a very thin depth of field. It's a good choice for indoor sports and outdoor sports at night, provided you aren't sitting way up in the stands.

The 150-450 offers more reach for small, distant objects. It's a good choice for bird photography.

Please let us know your budget and what you want to photograph and we can fine-tune the recommendations. There are additional discontinued lenses that can be found used. If you are only interested in telephoto for landscapes, there are many less expensive manual focus options.

07-07-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 55-300 PLM is a good general purpose telephoto. It focuses quickly and has good optical quality. It can work well for outdoor sports in daylight, wildlife, etc. The price is reasonable for what it does.

The Pentax 70-200 is a more expensive option. It has less zoom range, but offers f2.8 when shooting in dimmer light or if you want a very thin depth of field. It's a good choice for indoor sports and outdoor sports at night, provided you aren't sitting way up in the stands.

The 150-450 offers more reach for small, distant objects. It's a good choice for bird photography.

Please let us know your budget and what you want to photograph and we can fine-tune the recommendations. There are additional discontinued lenses that can be found used. If you are only interested in telephoto for landscapes, there are many less expensive manual focus options.
And we don't even get a commission.
We just like spending other people's money.
07-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yep, no commission, I just get paid the flat monthly rate by Adam ($0 but a good forum).
07-07-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG

and I just thought we just enjoyed suggesting how other people spend their money

you mean you guys actually get to spend their money

seriously, the forum's user reviews, in depth reviews and articles are very helpful

as is the knowledge and advice given, without compensation, of its members

the more info that is available as to what is being sought, the more accurate the advice can be

07-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm guessing after careful consideration that the DFA* 70-200 is the very best..... although for some reason I had to think overnight to come both realization. It's the only modern star telephoto. it's very expensive and it's very heavy, and I don't own one. But for absolute best IQ I assume it's the one.
It may be too heavy for some, but apart from that it would appear to be cream of the crop.

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well after post number 12 I had to get to the bottom of telephoto vs long lens. If you don't care stop reading.
As usual, after much web diving and sorting through the muck finding a few gold nuggets, I came across Rogers blog. First he describes my position. "Well, you know me, there were wrong ideas in the photography world, and I couldn’t let that alone. Wrongness must be corrected immediately! Especially wrongness that is of no importance or consequence. "
Then he gets to my findings. "Most people don’t really know what a telephoto lens is. It’s not just a lens with a long focal length (although almost all telephoto lenses do have a long focal length). But if you ask most photographers they will pick a focal length and say anything greater than 50mm or 85mm or 100mm is a telephoto lens.

If you ask more experienced photographers, they will likely say a telephoto lens has an angle of view of 35 to 10 degrees, and that lenses with less than 10 degrees angle of view are considered supertelephoto. This is more accurate, since it eliminates the variation caused by sensor size or camera format, but still not completely correct.

But if you ask a lens designer, they will tell you the actual definition of a telephoto lens is a lens with a physical length shorter than its focal length. So, for example, a Canon 100 f2.8 lens is not a telephoto (being 109mm long), while the Canon 100mm f2.0 lens is a telephoto (being 73mm long). The fact is, of course, that longer focal length lenses are more likely to be of the telephoto design simply because they’d become unwieldy if they weren’t."
Lens Rentals | Blog
Another great site
Photography | Revolvy
07-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

But if you ask a lens designer, they will tell you the actual definition of a telephoto lens is a lens with a physical length shorter than its focal length.
That's why I always put an asterisk beside any opinion a lens designer might have. Lens design and photography are different skill sets and use slightly different terminology, often using the same terms.
07-13-2019, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and patience while I learn how work this forum.

I'm an amateur at best. I love to shoot action at my kids sporting events and we do lots of travel and hiking which makes for good wildlife shots. I have the following lenses already:
SMC DA 18-135
SMC DAL 50-200
SMC DA 1:2.4

I'm thinking about the DA 55-300 PLM WR RE

Thank you everyone for your time!
07-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Has anyone looked for a definition of telephoto on the webs?
Sorry for continuing off-topic....

Telephoto refers to a type of lens design and has little to do with focal length other than being a common feature of longer focal length lenses. In short, telephoto design places the lens principal planes forward of the optical elements. This allows for shorter physical length than if the lens were of symmetrical design. One can tell if a lens is "telephoto" by comparing the apparent size of the iris opening when viewed from front and back. If it appears larger from the front of the lens then the rear, the design is telephoto. If the opposite, the lens is retrofocus. If the same size, the lens is symmetrical design.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2019 at 03:33 PM.
07-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and patience while I learn how work this forum.

I'm an amateur at best. I love to shoot action at my kids sporting events and we do lots of travel and hiking which makes for good wildlife shots. I have the following lenses already:
SMC DA 18-135
SMC DAL 50-200

I'm thinking that another zoom isn't the answer, but a longer prime - either a DA*200 or DA*300....
07-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing after careful consideration that the DFA* 70-200 is the very best..... although for some reason I had to think overnight to come both realization. It's the only modern star telephoto. it's very expensive and it's very heavy, and I don't own one. But for absolute best IQ I assume it's the one.
It may be too heavy for some, but apart from that it would appear to be cream of the crop.

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm thinking that another zoom isn't the answer, but a longer prime - either a DA*200 or DA*300....
considering one of Pentax's star lenses ?

you might want to look at this thread:

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

" * A star symbol denotes a lens being part of Pentax's top of the line (sometimes called "professional") lenses. They are usually larger lenses with fast apertures, all-weather protection and superior optical performances. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/360193-pen...#ixzz5tbKUMiqa

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.
07-14-2019, 02:49 AM   #30
Pentaxian

SMC DA 18-135
SMC DAL 50-200

I suggest you could test what focal length suits your needs by buying a cheap second-hand 2x teleconverter to put on your 55-200. For this test just work out whether 300mm or 400mm is sufficient for your sports and wildlife. Then you will know whether to buy a quality tele zoom (maybe with a good converter), a 300mm prime (also maybe with a quality teleconverter) or something even longer. After the test you can sell the cheap teleconverter. Remember though that quality teleconverters bought new cost nearly as much as a mid-range lens!

My experience with wildlife shots is that 300mm is not long enough when I am in the wilds, so I have a 500mm/f8 Tamron mirror lens for the wildlife shots (it is a good weight for such a long focal length, but is very sensitive manual focus). I have a couple of teleconverters that I use in a crisis, but the loss of two stops of light makes them tricky for moving subjects, and I would prefer to crop an image from the 55-300mm or use the 500mm if I am carrying it.

I think that 300mm for sports is probably fine, better than 200mm unless you are very close to the game. I would use a 55-300mm for that purpose - it focuses quickly and is easy to handle. As Pepperberry Farm says, a prime lens is sharper and gives faster shutter speeds, which is important for sports photography.