Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Can't disagree here but what about Helios M42? With its nice bokeh... you will never achieve that with time
The Helios was a "Bang for Buck" lens -- ridiculously cheap but its popularity as such means it is not so cheap now.
My ones sit sadly on the shelf watching the Tak 1.4s go walkies.
EDIT But then I like smooth bokehs.

07-07-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn't say; the Tak 55/2 I tried a while ago didn't feel significantly different from my -M 50/1.7... but it was the version with the rubberized focus ring (same as the M series), not the *amazing* naked, grooved metal barrel... [Drools in industrial design].

Honestly, the Ms are still miles ahead of most modern stuff, even if some others are even beyond them.

Regarding optical design, I couldn't tell a difference between the Tak and the M, but apparently there is a lot of difference between some other lenses (the Tak 135/2.5* seems to be significantly better than the M 135/3.5, but it's also not in the same class)

*I think that's the amazing one, right? The Tak 135/3.5 doesn't seem THAT much better than the M (or even at all, from the samples).

Edit: Takumar 135/2.5, not 1.8... mistake there!

Last edited by Serkevan; 07-07-2019 at 03:32 PM.
07-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #33
Lev
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The Helios was a "Bang for Buck" lens -- ridiculously cheap but its popularity as such means it is not so cheap now.
My ones sit sadly on the shelf watching the Tak 1.4s go walkies.
EDIT But then I like smooth bokehs.
around $60 depending on conditions. Going out for walkies with protective suite or it's harmless one?

---------- Post added 07-07-19 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I couldn't say; the Tak 55/2 I tried a while ago didn't feel significantly different from my -M 50/1.7... but it was the version with the rubberized focus ring (same as the M series), not the *amazing* naked, grooved metal barrel... [Drools in industrial design].

Honestly, the Ms are still miles ahead of most modern stuff, even if some others are even beyond them.

Regarding optical design, I couldn't tell a difference between the Tak and the M, but apparently there is a lot of difference between some other lenses (the Tak 135/1.8* seems to be significantly better than the M 135/3.5, but it's also not in the same class)

*I think that's the amazing one, right?
Yes and hell expensive!
07-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep! I couldn't find the Takumar for less than 60-80, but I scored the M-series for 20. I am just a newbie without a lot of experience, but that telephoto is the fastest I've fallen in love with a lens so far ^^

07-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(the Tak 135/2.5* seems to be significantly better than the M 135/3.5, but it's also not in the same class)

*I think that's the amazing one, right? The Tak 135/3.5 doesn't seem THAT much better than the M (or even at all, from the samples).
There is an early 5 element and a later 6 element Tak 135mm 2.5 and there is a big difference in IQ between them. And yes they are overpriced. (and almost always the 5 element)
I think it is sample variation but my M 135 3.5 is the worst of my Pentax 135s. The Takumar bayonet 135 2.5 is the winner with the Sup Tak 3.5 follow ups. There is two optical formulas in the Takumars 3.5s and I prefer the early one
07-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was pretty close to getting the Bayonet 2.5, but the reviews pushed me to get the M 3.5 instead... (Also the Bayonet was 60 as well). Now I both want to try the Tak bayonet AND get a K-1 for the as-intended length. THANKS. :P
07-07-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going out for walkies with protective suite or it's harmless one?
They are all harmless but my 7 element sup Taks (which are the radioactive ones) are nicely yellowed which has its place.
I have the 8 element as well and tend to go for it first but they are overpriced for the little IQ gain. (if any)
07-07-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #38
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reviews have quite polarised views on the Tak bayonets. I suspect the cheapness of them meant there was a large sample variation and it boils down to whether you have a good one.

07-07-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The reviews have quite polarised views on the Tak bayonets. I suspect the cheapness of them meant there was a large sample variation and it boils down to whether you have a good one.
This was what pushed me to the M (which generally seems to fall in "quite good but there are slightly better options", never terrible never astonishing...): the bayonets seemed to be very hit or miss and I didn't want to bother too much...
07-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #40
Lev
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the M42 adapter issue is easily solved: buy a good used last-gen DSLR (or even 2 generations old, like a K-5 IIs), mount the adapter on it with the idea that it's now your M42 body and never take the adapter off....

then go lens shopping...
another body? noooo
07-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

another body? noooo

I shoot with three bodies....

(:
07-08-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The world's your oyster, but I have these and love them all:
  • M 28mm f/2.8 - very useful for street photography on APS-C
  • M 50mm f/1.7 - said to sharper than the f/1.4 by the internet commentariat
  • M 100mm f/2.8 - compact and very nice
  • K 135mm f/3.5 - a certain blogger called it ridiculously sharp
All of the above can be had for about the price of a new "lens protection filter." There are lots of others, but the above is a good starting point. You don't need both the 100 and the 135. The latter seems to be more readily available. But there is no harm in having both.
07-08-2019, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering that I find myself enjoy shooting more primes, what would be your suggestion?
1. Get yourself a flight case

2. Get some lenses

07-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #44
Lev
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The world's your oyster, but I have these and love them all:
  • M 28mm f/2.8 - very useful for street photography on APS-C
  • M 50mm f/1.7 - said to sharper than the f/1.4 by the internet commentariat
  • M 100mm f/2.8 - compact and very nice
  • K 135mm f/3.5 - a certain blogger called it ridiculously sharp
All of the above can be had for about the price of a new "lens protection filter." There are lots of others, but the above is a good starting point. You don't need both the 100 and the 135. The latter seems to be more readily available. But there is no harm in having both.
great, thanks! and 28mm will be like a wide ange on FF with easy manual focus. by the way, do you guys find the aperture ring stiff on M series lenses? because many people complain about it not easy to use on A lenses and they all put it on A mode and leave there.

---------- Post added 07-08-19 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
1. Get yourself a flight case

2. Get some lenses
O god! man you've passed all imagination!
07-08-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

great, thanks! and 28mm will be like a wide ange on FF with easy manual focus. by the way, do you guys find the aperture ring stiff on M series lenses? because many people complain about it not easy to use on A lenses and they all put it on A mode and leave there.
Cant's say that it has ever been a problem for me. The green button metering thing is (for me anyway) the biggest hassle that you avoid with an A lens.

BTW, watch out for the A 50mm f/1.7 and f/2. They are notorious for a piece of plastic that fail inside the aperture ring. An easy fix, but it happens. They were built down to a price and they are a quarter of a century or more in age now. They weren't really expected to be around that long, hehehe.

[